IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tree recommendations needed

Chris Chance

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA which is a blessing and a curse. They told me recently that I need to plant a tree in the front yard but palms don't count. Anyone have any ideas of something that looks good with palms and doesn't have invasive roots? Would have to make it in zone 9 and handle summer heat. I appreciate it everyone and look forward to hear what ideas are out there. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA which is a blessing and a curse. They told me recently that I need to plant a tree in the front yard but palms don't count. Anyone have any ideas of something that looks good with palms and doesn't have invasive roots? Would have to make it in zone 9 and handle summer heat. I appreciate it everyone and look forward to hear what ideas are out there. 

Chris, any info/ list of specific trees your HOA has banned?  That might help others w/ suggestions.  Also, your HOA have a specific height they consider a "Tree"  I ask because some of the lists I've seen here range between something that will top out at 12-15ft, vs other lists where a tree is considered no shorter than 25ft in height.. 

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Chris, any info/ list of specific trees your HOA has banned?  That might help others w/ suggestions.  Also, your HOA have a specific height they consider a "Tree"  I ask because some of the lists I've seen here range between something that will top out at 12-15ft, vs other lists where a tree is considered no shorter than 25ft in height.. 

They're actually not specific about height or anything like that. I was on the phone with them and they said there has to be a traditional style tree. No banned list that I know of. I don't want to plant things like sycamore. Someone near me has an orchid tree that looks good. He tops it big time every few years but I suspect it's because it grows so fast.

2 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

They're actually not specific about height or anything like that. I was on the phone with them and they said there has to be a traditional style tree. No banned list that I know of. I don't want to plant things like sycamore. Someone near me has an orchid tree that looks good. He tops it big time every few years but I suspect it's because it grows so fast.

Definitely don't want something like a Sycamore. Never understood why newer housing developments use them.   About as bad as Ficus, Mulberry, or Sissoo when it comes to aggressive roots.. anyway. 

Orchid tree, specifically Bauhinia X blakeana, aka Hong Kong Orchid would be a good suggestion, they do grow fast but don't drop tons of seeds like the others. Two popular Trumpet Trees,  Tabebuia sp. ( now Handroanthus sp. ) you likely see around town are also other easy to find trees I'd suggest, don't think I've heard of them causing issues w/ sidewalks.

Sweetshade, Hymenosporum flavum is another easy, but non intrusive tree you might look into.  Very fragrant and flowers for a longer period than either Orchid / Trumpet Trees.  Cassia leptophylla is another nice summer flowering tree also. It and Sweetshade stay green all year as well. 

If.. you can find one, Cassia splendidia " Golden Wonder" is another nice Cassia.  Big leaves / Flowers, not as cold sensitive as Cassia Fistula, though they might survive where you're at too.  Flowers in November, around Thanksgiving.. at least one I'd grown up in San Jose did. Easy to keep trimmed if it grows a little too fast/ can be kept at a reasonable height. Monrovia is supposedly offering them for sale again. 

Too bad no one in California is growing South African Wisteria Tree ( Bolusanthus specious another nice, medium sized tree ) ..at least not yet.. :winkie:

• Like 1

Dracaena draco.  Good luck finding a big one and the condo commandos will probably freak.

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Leave it to an HOA to use a term like "traditional style tree". They probably hand out brochures about gardening tips authored by Martha Stewart.

• Like 6

Hard to beat Tabebuia-spectacular flower display, low water, non invasive roots, cold hardy.  If you're hot enough, Desert Museum might be a good choice, although it's starting to be overused.  Caesalpinia ferrea is also a beautiful tree.  And Acacia spectabilis is a terrific, fast growing, low water Australian acacia with an awesome flower display.  And for something different, how about a Brachychiton rupestris, if you like the bottle tree look.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Fernando Valley, California

6 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Leave it to an HOA to use a term like "traditional style tree". They probably hand out brochures about gardening tips authored by Martha Stewart.

I agree but at the same time they seem lenient about things. More like they want to know if I change anything but don't really seem to mind lots of palms being planted. The positive is they neighborhood is nice and clean for the most part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Hard to beat Tabebuia-spectacular flower display, low water, non invasive roots, cold hardy.  If you're hot enough, Desert Museum might be a good choice, although it's starting to be overused.  Caesalpinia ferrea is also a beautiful tree.  And Acacia spectabilis is a terrific, fast growing, low water Australian acacia with an awesome flower display.  And for something different, how about a Brachychiton rupestris, if you like the bottle tree look.

Only concern with Desert Museum is that they are prone to wind damage, at least here. Might take that into consideration if your area experiences more wind events than other parts of S. Cal.  Great tree otherwise. Native Ironwood ( Onleya tesota) on the other hand is just as hardy yet don't seem to suffer wind damage.  Havent seen a single specimen here blow down, or loose limbs in any of our Monsoon or spring wind events.. Slower growing and easier to manage also.  Flowers ( late April- late May ) just as spectacular as Palo Verde ( Desert Museum ).  Texas Ebony is another sturdy " desert " tree but they can get huge. Big pods can be annoying to some. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Too bad no one in California is growing South African Wisteria Tree ( Bolusanthus specious another nice, medium sized tree ) ..at least not yet.. :winkie:

Nathan: I think I've seen a discussion on this forum recently by California growers re. attempts at growing Bolusanthus specious in SoCal. Here's mine on the right (one of two I have in pots). To its left is my Markhamia lutea (grown from Nigerian seed via a NY supplier). And my Erythrina indica picta (E. variegata) at its yearly peak.  It always has a tough time overwintering in my garage.

Bolusanthus.png

ErythrinaFall.png

• Like 3

I'm not sure about the roots but I've always liked Callistemon citrinus and Cascabela thevetia as smaller trees for zone 9a.  Both have really impressed me with how well they have handled our drought and 100°+ temps without showing any signs of stress.  The Cascabela doesn't have the showiest flowers but I really like the glossy green foliage.

Jon Sunder

21 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I think I've seen a discussion on this forum recently by California growers re. attempts at growing Bolusanthus specious in SoCal. Here's mine on the right (one of two I have in pots). To its left is my Markhamia lutea (grown from Nigerian seed via a NY supplier). And my Erythrina indica picta (E. variegata) at its yearly peak.  It always has a tough time overwintering in my garage.

Bolusanthus.png

ErythrinaFall.png

That Bolusanthus looks perfect..  had a bunch of seedlings awhile back but didn't make it past the first summer here. Guessing, like other stuff I've lost at a similar size since, our summer heat / dry air is the main challenge the first summer or two. Stuff that survives does better beyond that.   Recently replenished my supply of seed for later.  

Markhamia and Erythrina look great too.  Both are on my list also.  Curious whatever happened with the Caribwood ( Poitea cardinals ) you were able to find awhile back? Hope it's doing good there. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Curious whatever happened with the Caribwood ( Poitea cardinals ) you were able to find awhile back? Hope it's doing good there. 

Nathan:  My Poitea carinalis is surviving but not thriving... at least so far (this image below is from today). It loses all its leaves when I overwinter it in my sunroom. When I move it back outdoors after all frosts are over, it stays leafless until late spring or early summer.  It hasn't had a single flower yet, but I'm hopeful. Unfortunately, my Fernandoa magnifica never broke its winter dormancy this year, so I think it's gone. :bummed:

Poitea.png

• Like 1

Chris,

I may be over-thinking (or under-thinking) this but here's my initial thought.

The fact that you had to be "told to" implies you did not want a tree at all to begin with - so why not get a tree that stays super small or a tree that responds well to being kept small by pruning? Or, a tree that takes a lifetime to get any real height? This way you would satisfy the requirement without changing the front yard, so to speak? 

I'm curious why they are saying you need to do this? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Nathan:  My Poitea carinalis is surviving but not thriving... at least so far (this image below is from today). It loses all its leaves when I overwinter it in my sunroom. When I move it back outdoors after all frosts are over, it stays leafless until late spring or early summer.  It hasn't had a single flower yet, but I'm hopeful. Unfortunately, my Fernandoa magnifica never broke its winter dormancy this year, so I think it's gone. :bummed:

Poitea.png

Surviving looks pretty good to me, imo..  sucks your Fernandoa didn't make it though..  The survivor might just need another year before you see it attempt flowering.

From how you're describing its growth cycle, sounds like it is one of those trees from the drier tropics that goes dormant during the winter dry season.. Just a guess though. Perhaps others back in Fl w/ more experience might share thoughts. Same place you were able to purchase it sold out before i could grab one. They dont ship to Arizona anyway, so, gotta wait :rage: :rolleyes: anyway, Sounds a lot like how most of my Bursera, Delonix regia, and Bombax cebia behave going into / thru winter. .And were generally milder / drier here.. Bursera laxiflora i have doesn't leaf out until mid June, and is already dropping 70% of its foliage atm, and has done so since I picked it up..  Branch tips like to die back each year too, no matter if it is cooler or warmer over winter. Weirdo tree for sure, lol.  

• Like 1

Been doing some research on the suggestions so far. I really appreciate everyone! Any nurseries to suggest where some of the species are available? 

18 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Been doing some research on the suggestions so far. I really appreciate everyone! Any nurseries to suggest where some of the species are available? 

Any non big box nursery in your area, who purchases from San Marcos Growers, or Green Desert ( wholesale grower out in Indio ) should be good to talk to.  Avoid Moon Valley like the plague.  There are a couple nurseries in Tustin ( not sure how far that is from you ) that sell some interesting stuff as well. 

Anyone know if  Xotx- Tropico, up in Los Angeles, is still in business? Used to get a lot of mention here ( sold/ still sells?? all sorts of rare stuff ). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Any non big box nursery in your area, who purchases from San Marcos Growers, or Green Desert ( wholesale grower out in Indio ) should be good to talk to.  Avoid Moon Valley like the plague.  There are a couple nurseries in Tustin ( not sure how far that is from you ) that sell some interesting stuff as well. 

Anyone know if  Xotx- Tropico, up in Los Angeles, is still in business? Used to get a lot of mention here ( sold/ still sells?? all sorts of rare stuff ). 

My wife is likeing Hymenosporum flavum. I learned a long time ago to avoid Moon Valley. Way overpriced and no one knows what they're talking about just sound like used car salesmen. 

Tustin is about 40 miles from me. Kinda hoping there's places closer to me like that but might have to drive for something better than the local stuff.

• Like 1

Chris,

before you buy any tree, ask the HOA to give you a copy of the landscape guidelines in the by laws.  Look for a definition of “traditional style tree” or even if that language exists. It might just be some individuals trying to control the landscape and The bylaws might not compel you to do anything.  If that is the case, do what you want. 

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

34 minutes ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Chris,

before you buy any tree, ask the HOA to give you a copy of the landscape guidelines in the by laws.  Look for a definition of “traditional style tree” or even if that language exists. It might just be some individuals trying to control the landscape and The bylaws might not compel you to do anything.  If that is the case, do what you want. 

Beware of lines written in pencil...

• Like 1

South Florida

17 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

My wife is likeing Hymenosporum flavum. I learned a long time ago to avoid Moon Valley. Way overpriced and no one knows what they're talking about just sound like used car salesmen. 

Tustin is about 40 miles from me. Kinda hoping there's places closer to me like that but might have to drive for something better than the local stuff.

Wow, not kidding at all. lol..  Curious, i did a quick search of nurseries in your area. Looks like there aren't all that many independents ( non H.D. , Lowe's, Moon Valley ) nearby, and that you'll have to travel a bit, regardless of what you decide to put in.  You can always look over San Marcos Growers main website page and find the closest nurseries, who purchase from San Marcos, ( ..or Green Desert, etc wholesalers ). to make any trip you might have to make worth your time ( and gas ).  San Marcos also releases a monthly inventory update so you can see what's available / looks good when you're ready to go. 

• Like 1

I actually found a nursery in Riverside that sells a lot of different trees from San Marcos.  A 5 gallon is $40 but at least it's not a long drive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I actually found a nursery in Riverside that sells a lot of different trees from San Marcos.  A 5 gallon is $40 but at least it's not a long drive.

I think @Jerry@TreeZoo offers at least a good starting point.

What kind of tree do want to have, or will at least suffer with in the long term?

Crape myrtles would appear an obvious choice, but I suspect there's reasons for not going with one.

I recall your yard is a bit on the small side out front.

How about a picture, from the street and your front door?

Hymenosporum is a nice tree, we used to sell them at the ancient nursery of doom in the 1980s. It likes heat, takes the cold, looks neat, and has an upright profile. Yeah, it drops leaves and blossoms, but all trees do, except dead or artificial ones.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I find it Weird that they Told you that you HAD to plant one... I hate HOA and will never live in one!

And everyone has one? I have a smallish Front yard, that I still Transformed into A Jungle. LOL.

You might want to look into these, although I dont know if the fit your Root System Demands... I planted these:

Brazillian Fern Tree: Schizolobium parahyba

Fasted Growing thing youll ever See.

Rainbow Eucalyptus:  Another Fast Growing Tree Unique

Pink Cedar Tree: Toona sinensis, Toon Tree

You definitly might want to look into Areca Purpea Tree  

Not overly Big, very colorful, and grow Fast as well....

I also Went with Ficus Damoropsis, that might not manage the Heat though.  My favorite,

JACKARANDA,  DOGWOOD, OR MYRTLE TREE ALWAYS GOOD CHOICES

Here’s a picture of a mature Hymenosporum almost in front of my house 

It’s about forty feet tall but with a comparatively narrow profile.

B18C2956-8243-45E6-847A-3527A4C8E91B.thumb.jpeg.018c6bce0c2a3d8cb9dcfb550eb4ee43.jpeg23C9AE50-A35A-4303-84A2-43E9755F0854.thumb.jpeg.57415481a79b6e5ca351dbd454325ec6.jpeg

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I suspect Chris already knows this, but as a public service announcement I list some trees to avoid even more than Sycamore (Platanus):

Willow (Salix)

Poplar (Populneus)

Ash (Fraxinus) 

All are gratifyingly fast growing and likely to be relatively cheap to buy but they all also have very VERY invasive roots and drop mountains of trash including leaves seeds and spent blossoms. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, Hillizard said:

Nathan: I think I've seen a discussion on this forum recently by California growers re. attempts at growing Bolusanthus specious in SoCal. Here's mine on the right (one of two I have in pots). To its left is my Markhamia lutea (grown from Nigerian seed via a NY supplier). And my Erythrina indica picta (E. variegata) at its yearly peak.  It always has a tough time overwintering in my garage.

Bolusanthus.png

ErythrinaFall.png

Lord have mercy where’d you get that Eyrithrina? :yay:

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Lord have mercy where’d you get that Eyrithrina? :yay:

That one I got as a mail order from TopTropicals a few years ago. It was very small back then. But they're also available usu. from http://www.glasshouseworks.com/erythrina-indica-picta and https://www.zone9tropicals.com/erythrina-indica-var-picta-sunshine-tree The trick for me is overwintering them! It grows like a weed during the summer here, but hasn't bloomed. :unsure:

As of now I'm thinking Hymenosporum flavum. My wife likes the look of the flowers almost like Plumeria which I have growing in a protected spot. She asked if one would grow out front but i don't think it will like the frost we get from time to time. My front yard is actually much bigger than the back. The way my house is situated is kinda strange as it's set back with a big front yard and small backyard on a corner lot. The front is still grass but eventually we will change that. I want to plant more palms out there. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 7:20 PM, Briank said:

I find it Weird that they Told you that you HAD to plant one... I hate HOA and will never live in one!

And everyone has one? I have a smallish Front yard, that I still Transformed into A Jungle. LOL.

You might want to look into these, although I dont know if the fit your Root System Demands... I planted these:

Brazillian Fern Tree: Schizolobium parahyba

Fasted Growing thing youll ever See.

Rainbow Eucalyptus:  Another Fast Growing Tree Unique

Pink Cedar Tree: Toona sinensis, Toon Tree

You definitly might want to look into Areca Purpea Tree  

Not overly Big, very colorful, and grow Fast as well....

I also Went with Ficus Damoropsis, that might not manage the Heat though.  My favorite,

JACKARANDA,  DOGWOOD, OR MYRTLE TREE ALWAYS GOOD CHOICES

Honestly I like most of your suggestions but for example I have seen how big Schizolobium parahyba get and man they are cool but I wouldn't want to deal with that unless i had a lot of land. Also probably wouldn't like the winters we get sometimes. Rainbow eucalyptus is one of my favorite trees but same thing is it probably wouldn't like my winters and kinda hard to find. I had one years ago in a pot and gave it to Jubaeman because he has a better place in Riverside. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, DoomsDave said:

I think @Jerry@TreeZoo offers at least a good starting point.

What kind of tree do want to have, or will at least suffer with in the long term?

Crape myrtles would appear an obvious choice, but I suspect there's reasons for not going with one.

I recall your yard is a bit on the small side out front.

How about a picture, from the street and your front door?

Hymenosporum is a nice tree, we used to sell them at the ancient nursery of doom in the 1980s. It likes heat, takes the cold, looks neat, and has an upright profile. Yeah, it drops leaves and blossoms, but all trees do, except dead or artificial ones.

Dave I can get a picture of the area tomorrow to get an idea what I'm dealing with. I like the look of Crape myrtles but honestly see them everywhere here well except my neighborhood. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Dave I can get a picture of the area tomorrow to get an idea what I'm dealing with. I like the look of Crape myrtles but honestly see them everywhere here well except my neighborhood. 

Give it to me babay . .. .

22 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Honestly I like most of your suggestions but for example I have seen how big Schizolobium parahyba get and man they are cool but I wouldn't want to deal with that unless i had a lot of land. Also probably wouldn't like the winters we get sometimes. Rainbow eucalyptus is one of my favorite trees but same thing is it probably wouldn't like my winters and kinda hard to find. I had one years ago in a pot and gave it to Jubaeman because he has a better place in Riverside. 

I get it.  I really do.   If you ever want a Rainbow Euc, hit up Josh.   Always has some. Keep digging man, there’s a ton of great trees.   I wish I had more room too.  Would love to plant more Tropical Trees. 

1 hour ago, Manalto said:

Vitex agnus-castus

My high school in Las Vegas had those planted and I remember at the time people thought it was cannabis. True the leaves look it but wouldn't think the school would plant them if it was. Very funny though!