• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Alberto

Planted 3 Geonoma undata

Alberto

Last week I bought 3 trunking Geonoma undata (US$ 19.25 each) cultivated in the warmer region of Corupá (low altitude, near sea, between high mountais, that rarely sees some freezes) in Santa Catarina state. I'm going to give them a try. I think this is the lower altitude variety (?) so I'm not sure about the cold hardiness. I planted them below some canopy in a bright spot. Do somebody have some knowledge about this palm? Thanks!

P_20191016_124933_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Alberto

P_20191016_125014_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

redbeard917

I have no knowledge about it, but it's very pretty!

Tyrone

Let us know how it progresses. Real great species at a bargain price.

PalmatierMeg

Beautiful palms. Totally ungrowable for me as are all Geonoma. Darold has a spectacular specimen in San Francisco, US. I read that if they ever dry out they will certainly die.

• Upvote 1

Alberto

The guy who sold me this palms told me that they are very easy to transplant. He showed me a palm that was dug a year ago and which rootball wasn't planted in a pot and was still on a concrete floor. The palm was still green and the trunk laying on the floor was growing with a bend.

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Great deal for some beautiful palms :lol:

BrianRBruning@gmail.com

Do you have seeds or seedlings?  I'm looking for theses palms.  Geonoma undata, Wettinia microcarpa, W. kalbreyeri and W. minima  

All these should do well for you unless you get too frosty.   I get no frost or at least haven't since 1989 when all of California froze.  It was about -3 here.  Since then 8 has been my low and as we are at the edge of the Pacific it is usually 50-100% humidity.  I'm on a hillslope so any cool air heads downhill.  

Jim in Los Altos

Wow, gorgeous! If I found those anywhere near me, I’d probably by a dozen even if they were five times that price. I only have one tiny seedling left out of twelve after one year in their little pots. Seemed like they went downhill fast after the only heat wave of summer that lasted a few days. These were lowland seed sourced as well. I think a big one like yours would do well here however. 

mike in kurtistown

I have three undatas (or interruptas?) planted next to a steep hill with trees on top, so they are shaded in the morning. They get full sun the rest of the day. The largest is about 8 feet tall and the leaf color is lighter green than yours. Seeds were collected at the Herrero farm in Costa Rica in 2008. Here in humid, cloudy east Hawaii Island, it never gets hot or cold enough to temperature test. Here's a pic:

interrupta_trio_MLM_012520.thumb.JPG.957dd5bdb4104d22b69831b1313f1fe7.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

palmfriend

Interesting species!

@Alberto: Please give us an update in a while!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

Jason in Orlando

Has anyone tried any Geonoma or other small non-Chamaedorea species indoors with any luck?  I was wondering about Geonoma,  Asterogyne, Calyptrogyne, maybe some of the miniature Dypsis species...

Been in Pittsburgh for almost five years now and I'm just itching to start growing palms again.