Jump to content
Mr.SamuraiSword

Bridgeport Sabal Palmetto CT Notable Trees

Recommended Posts

DrZnaturally

DECEMBER 2021 UPDATE

 

wrapping the sabal palmetto we call BABSHI, one of Connecticut's notable tress, which has been living outside unheated since 2009 in a warm microclimate in Bridgeport CT.

 

We believe it is one of the few if not only Sabal palmetto  palms who has survived this far north  growing outside and never brought in  for this long.

 

Bridgeport is official zone 7a but with the many microclimate protective factors, IM SURE ITS A ZONE 8 MICROCLIMATE

 Microclimate factors are the following

1. dark brick building absorbing winter heat and blocking cold northern winter winds

2.location near Long island sound ON 3 SIDES

3.planted chose to building in a frost free zone 1.5 feet from building

4.potential heat escape from building?

5.Mummy wrapping and antifungal spray on crown

6.mounding of soil and much as high up as we can over the sensitive areas of the palm spear

im sure these have kept the palm alive and getting big!

Dr Anthony P poses near Babshi our sabal palmetto dec 2021 winter wrapped bridgeport CT.jpg

DrZ wraps sabal palmetto Brideport Ct dec 2021.jpg

Drz wrapping intently Dec 2021.PNG

DrZ wrapping the Sabal palm dec 2021.PNG

DrZ wraps sabal palmetto Brideport Ct dec 2021.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aceraceae

Was it left uncovered for a few winters around 2016 and 17 etc and that's what led to the damage/dieback in 2018? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrZnaturally

Yes exactly,

 

we were only protecting it lightly for years BEFORE 2018 with all of the warmer winters we had

 

but in 2018, winter was so bad and wet and long (into march) that we thought the palm was actually dead, the spear pulled.

 

But it somehow rallied and we vowed to protect it since then with maximum protection as it is an iconic palm living so far up North.

 

In 2018 it was inducted into the CT Notable tree database

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr.SamuraiSword
11 hours ago, DrZnaturally said:

Yes exactly,

 

we were only protecting it lightly for years BEFORE 2018 with all of the warmer winters we had

 

but in 2018, winter was so bad and wet and long (into march) that we thought the palm was actually dead, the spear pulled.

 

But it somehow rallied and we vowed to protect it since then with maximum protection as it is an iconic palm living so far up North.

 

In 2018 it was inducted into the CT Notable tree database

Do you protect any of the other palms planted nearby?  I remember seeing another smaller sabal palmetto, and young minor, trachycarpus and a needle sometime back.  Also I remember an odd trunking yucca, do you know what species?  Can't wait to see it again next spring/summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahosey01
23 hours ago, DrZnaturally said:

DECEMBER 2021 UPDATE

 

wrapping the sabal palmetto we call BABSHI, one of Connecticut's notable tress, which has been living outside unheated since 2009 in a warm microclimate in Bridgeport CT.

 

We believe it is one of the few if not only Sabal palmetto  palms who has survived this far north  growing outside and never brought in  for this long.

 

Bridgeport is official zone 7a but with the many microclimate protective factors, IM SURE ITS A ZONE 8 MICROCLIMATE

 Microclimate factors are the following

1. dark brick building absorbing winter heat and blocking cold northern winter winds

2.location near Long island sound ON 3 SIDES

3.planted chose to building in a frost free zone 1.5 feet from building

4.potential heat escape from building?

5.Mummy wrapping and antifungal spray on crown

6.mounding of soil and much as high up as we can over the sensitive areas of the palm spear

im sure these have kept the palm alive and getting big!

Dr Anthony P poses near Babshi our sabal palmetto dec 2021 winter wrapped bridgeport CT.jpg

DrZ wraps sabal palmetto Brideport Ct dec 2021.jpg

Drz wrapping intently Dec 2021.PNG

DrZ wrapping the Sabal palm dec 2021.PNG

DrZ wraps sabal palmetto Brideport Ct dec 2021.jpg

God forbid you ever lose it, replant with Sabal birmingham instead of palmetto.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrZnaturally
13 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Do you protect any of the other palms planted nearby?  I remember seeing another smaller sabal palmetto, and young minor, trachycarpus and a needle sometime back.  Also I remember an odd trunking yucca, do you know what species?  Can't wait to see it again next spring/summer!

Unfortunately all of those specimens had to be dug up as he university has to tar and seal the foundation of the building, which has cracks in it because of superstorm sandy getting salt water into the foundation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr.SamuraiSword
On 1/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, DrZnaturally said:

Unfortunately all of those specimens had to be dug up as he university has to tar and seal the foundation of the building, which has cracks in it because of superstorm sandy getting salt water into the foundation

Oh damn. Were they able to be repotted/replanted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrZnaturally

many were adopted by my botanical medicine students for their own gardens

One of the sabals died in transplantation (sabal minor)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...