IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is this palm? (pics)

Palmfarmer

the people at the nursery told me it was some type of bottle palm but i dont think so. The leafs are blueish but it does not show that well in the photo. Thanks!

Bought it for around 25 usd good buy? 

IMG_20191014_183954961.jpg

Edited by Palmfarmer

Well, it's definitely not a bottle palm, I'd say it is probably a Latania Lontaroides or something similar.  They are not particularly cold-hardy but really pretty and a great buy at $25!

4 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Well, it's definitely not a bottle palm, I'd say it is probably a Latania Lontaroides or something similar.  They are not particularly cold-hardy but really pretty and a great buy at $25!

Thats a pretty educated guess and definitely a great buy !! I know i wouldn't have passed it up =) 

T J 

6 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Awesome! so its somewhat rare? its kind of funny because the gardeneries here often dont know what they are selling here. i really like the look of it. I guess this is the blue version since the leafs have blue in them so its a little more hardy perhaps Latania loddigesii . regardless i will have to buy a great pot for it since i doubt it would survive our winters. winter here is only 1.5 months and it sometimes dips to -5c but it pretty much allways goes back up to 20+ again in the day in the wintertime and the sun is still strong. 

Edited by Palmfarmer

Latania are pretty unusual in cultivation, but pretty neat!  My notes on Lontaroides is "extremely tender as young palms, specimens ranging from 6 ft. to 3 ft. have been killed by temps @ 27-26f."  I think the Lontaroides also can have green or silvery-blue leaves but have distinctly red petioles.  So if I'm right about the species then I'd be really careful at -5C = 23F.  That would likely kill that palm without protection, or being indoors that night.  I have several seedlings that I plant to keep as "patio palms" in pots, and just move them inside on our 1 or 2 cold nights per year.

yes i will have it as a patio palm then just buy a huge pot for it with some cool mexican decore. My patio is not particurarely sunny would that be fine by the way? I can of course move it out in the garden with the pot if thats a big problem.  Do they get big in pots by the way?

Edited by Palmfarmer

Here's a washingtonia bottle palm.

:floor:

20191015_135331.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)