IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Time to Edit?

joe_OC

I planted 3 Dypsis plumosa when I thought they were ambositrae.  They are in a very prominent spot in my front yard.  They have handled 12 hours of full sun for about 10 years.

I am very tempted to start over in the planter.  But will any other thin trunked Dypsis be able to handle the climate?

The trunks remind me of Psuedophoenix.

Please let me know what you think.

Here are a couple of pics:

C44E096B-2926-4A7E-AF42-8FA480381E37.thumb.jpeg.53f9c48810a1af26fa92220374b662cb.jpeg376C3656-0696-45B9-BEE5-9F3EBFA9F761.thumb.jpeg.eeec589b22fa83b9cbb92714f8804bcf.jpeg

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I think those look really nice! I know not the most beautiful Dypsis but still very tropical looking. I'm sure Dypsis onilahensis would do great in that area.

• Like 1

It probably depends the size you get. Chris is probably right about Onilahensis. My basilongas have taken a bit of burn but did well in mostly full sun this summer. Saintelucei don't mind the sun in my experience but have really weak roots. If you're feeling adventurous, Lafazamanga? These seem really tough from a small size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Chance said:

I think those look really nice! I know not the most beautiful Dypsis but still very tropical looking. I'm sure Dypsis onilahensis would do great in that area.

Thanks, Chris.  They are still providing me that green trunk.  My other palms in the front all get wooded up really quick.   I have an onilahensis in the front yard already, and it gets wooded up quickly too.  

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 minute ago, joe_OC said:

Thanks, Chris.  They are still providing me that green trunks.  My other palms in the front all get wooded up really quick.   I have an onilahensis in the front yard already, and it gets wooded up quickly too.  

Another option is pembana. In coastal areas it should take full sun with acclimation I'm sure.  madigascariensis has varieties that would look great there. 

57 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

It probably depends the size you get. Chris is probably right about Onilahensis. My basilongas have taken a bit of burn but did well in mostly full sun this summer. Saintelucei don't mind the sun in my experience but have really weak roots. If you're feeling adventurous, Lafazamanga? These seem really tough from a small size.

I would prefer to go with a 5 gal max.  Smaller palms acclimate better.  Was thinking a real ambositrae.   A little more robust than st. lucei or basilonga.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Whaaaah!

Sob! Urk!

:wacko:

Please don't destroy those lovely Ballerina Palms.

BUT . . .

Up to you. Mine is as nice as yours except mine's getting shaded out, which means I might have to edit and plant some in the back of the back-40.

Hmm. Not sure what you mean by thin-trunk Dypsis . . .

Maybe albofarinosa? Like a skinny baronii, I'll show you mine next time you wanna visit. A lot skinnier than baronii, with an example nearby for comparison.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, Chris Chance said:

Another option is pembana. In coastal areas it should take full sun with acclimation I'm sure.  madigascariensis has varieties that would look great there. 

Oh yeah, lots of palms can take full sun where I am at.  But, wanted one to keep the green trunks.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

20 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Oh yeah, lots of palms can take full sun where I am at.  But, wanted one to keep the green trunks.

I believe pembana holds green trunk for a long time. I have one I want to plant but I'll need shade for it out here. 

D. Lanceolota holds the green trunk as they mature and are about the same trunk size as C. Plumosa. Got to say I like the triple  planting you did there with the plumosa those do look nice . But true ambositrae are incredible looking palms just slow in my yard at first. Dypsis sp mayotte island are a great grower in full sun at an early age and colorful . Those nice looking varigated ti plants might get burnt in full sun .at least they want some shade where I am. 

• Like 1

@joe_OC, I'm with @akamu; great thought. And, lancies like the coast much better than inland, and i've got some babies coming along.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you for the input.  I will keep them them there for now.  If I replace them, it will be with a Dypsis heteromorpha.  I have one that I will grow out.  Will see how it looks next Spring.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Others stole my suggestions. I was thinking Saintelucei but when you mentioned keeping the green trunk Lanceolata immediately popped into my head.

35 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

Others stole my suggestions. I was thinking Saintelucei but when you mentioned keeping the green trunk Lanceolata immediately popped into my head.

Yup...Already have a large lanceolata on the other side of the driveway.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I used to have a pretty nice lanceolata (pictured below) but I went through a major backyard overhaul which included ripping out a jacaranda which was really the only shade I had for it at the time. The overhaul was so I could create my “palm oasis” but in the process this palm took a major hit. The two largest trunks both died and had to be cut off but the smallest survived and it has sprouted another trunk as well.

I’m sure you could properly acclimate one into sun in your area. 

51EC1330-EAC2-4725-B2BF-E4A85D6B21D3.thumb.jpeg.81c9c85f067a424e535090dde3cbf1b3.jpeg

Oh, well your last reply makes this null and void. Sorry.

Edited by The Gerg
  • Like 1

Still appreciate the input!  :greenthumb: 

Your stretched fronds was the tell that yours was grown in shade.  

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24