IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia vs Chamaerops

RyManUtah

I’ve never seen this before. Who do you think will win? I’m betting Washingtonia.. 

9DC03956-1C88-45DA-BA1B-49D386CABFD1.jpeg

9300322C-A320-4449-A0B6-F1A2889ECF51.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm going with Washingtonia.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Is that Washingtonia a filifera or filibusta? It looks like it has some filifera in it. 

Looks filibusta to me. It’s not mine so I can’t say 100% :interesting:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

If it were in my yard, the chamaerops would win. Me and my chainsaw would make sure of it. 

Same here. It seems to be growing out from under the Washingtonia, which is weird to me. I’m guess the landscaper just put two baby palms together to make a double when they were the same size. Who knows 

That trunk is hugely wide, a pavement-cracker.

Filibusta. 

I know cause I had 5. Kept one as a tiki.

15710017722456133447644115998741.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

That trunk is hugely wide, a pavement-cracker.

Filibusta. 

I know cause I had 5. Kept one as a tiki.

15710017722456133447644115998741.jpg

Gnarly! 

Do you like them? I can’t decide if I wanna try one or stick to just filifera. 

10 minutes ago, Ryagra said:

Gnarly! 

Do you like them? I can’t decide if I wanna try one or stick to just filifera. 

I honestly dislike washingtonias.

1.- they are armed.

2.- they require constant pruning with a box cutter and eventually a ladder. Or their dead frond skirts will be havens to bats, mice and/or cockroaches.

I prefer self cleaning palms.

Hence the reason (and accident) when I purchased my first coconut seedling through Ebay. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

12 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I honestly dislike washingtonias.

1.- they are armed.

2.- they require constant pruning with a box cutter and eventually a ladder. Or their dead frond skirts will be havens to bats, mice and/or cockroaches.

I prefer self cleaning palms.

Hence the reason (and accident) when I purchased my first coconut seedling through Ebay. 

Yeah I get that. I like to do the maintenance, and climb up for some of the older people as well. Just a hobby of mine. Filifera do well for me because they bounce back so quickly, and some winters are brutal. Washingtonia are the fastest big palms we can grow. The robustas don’t make it much more than a decade though, and neither do Phoenix. Hybrids all over so I was curious. 

I am excited for your coconut project! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ryagra said:

Yeah I get that. I like to do the maintenance, and climb up for some of the older people as well. Just a hobby of mine. Filifera do well for me because they bounce back so quickly, and some winters are brutal. Washingtonia are the fastest big palms we can grow. The robustas don’t make it much more than a decade though, and neither do Phoenix. Hybrids all over so I was curious. 

I am excited for your coconut project! 

Thank you!!!!!   Yeah well, I thought about it: hitting 60+ and needing to do this.  So I went with cocos nucifera at almost 33° above the equator. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 9:42 PM, Ryagra said:

I’ve never seen this before. Who do you think will win? I’m betting Washingtonia.. 

Hey Ryan,

Here in SA I've seen a volunteer seedling of Washingtonia in the exact same position (nearly underneath parent palm) grow up to a good sized palm.  The trunks appear to merge together making the smaller one look like a sucker of the larger.  Chamaerops are very tough palms also so I bet they both make it.  I agree with your assumption regarding the planting since Washingtonia grows so much faster they were probably the same size when planted.

Jon

• Like 3

Jon Sunder