IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Oregon - Gold Beach Palms

Chester B

I just came back from a vacation where I was able to spend a couple days at the coast in the southern part of Oregon.  I didn't manage to get too many photos as I was afraid I was pretty suspicious looking driving around in black car with tinted windows stopping in front of people's homes and rolling down the window to snap pictures of their homes.  I was surprised at the sheer number of palms I saw growing that I can't here in Portland.  Cordylines are pretty common at the coast anywhere in Oregon but there were some pretty thick trunked specimens around.  What I didn't capture in these photos were the presence of Washingtonia filifera that seemed to be common as well.  

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to drive around Bandon to look for the northernmost CIDP's...

Gold Beach CIDP 1.JPG

Gold Beach CIDP.JPG

Gold Beach Cordyline 1.JPG

Gold Beach Cordyline.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Looks like Northern California to me.

Yup. Just like San Mateo.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 10/14/2019 at 7:37 AM, GottmitAlex said:

Yup. Just like San Mateo.

Those pictures could be anywhere on the East coast of New Zealand's South Island. Even the houses look familiar.

I go up to Bandon every yr.   friend has bunch of properties and I free place to stay. I love it up there and hope to buy summer house there soon.    Surprising a lot of palms there.   A lot of Indian Summers during winter lately.   Nice pics.  

I was thru there in the early 90's and saw a large P. canariensis fried from freezing temps. Don't know if it recovered. Yup … those Corylines look hefty.

Cheers, Barrie.

• 2 years later...

@Phyllostachys pics of the big CIDP in Gold Beach at 94194 10th street east of 101. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1