IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New King Palms, Health Checkup

BayAndroid

Hello everyone, 

I believe i'm just dealing with sun damage, however I also worry about root rot with these newly planted king palms of mine. I planted these in July. So far, the new growth has been coming in looking pretty good, but at times, there have been long brown spots on some of the new fronds. I also noticed recently that one of the new fronds is coming up with some browning and it was whitish in color. Maybe some more color will develop as the frond emerges, but I already decided to cut back on the watering, just in case. Any concern with what you are seeing here?

The white colored new growth can be seen in the last picture. 

Thanks for you input!

20191012_122332.jpg

20191012_122326.jpg

20191012_122353.jpg

20191012_122435.jpg

Cunninghamiana in my yard does much more poorly in full sun than Maxima or Alexandrae.

I have a triple planted in my front yard where it gets full inland triple digit sun and it has never looked as good as the ones I have growing in part day sun or morning only light.

During summer months I would say just keep watering it but as we get closer to winter the rains will pick up especially where you are in the Bay Area so you will soon be getting plenty of water. We have a couple senior members on this forum who are in the Bay Area like you and they may be able to give you some guidance as your climate is much cooler and wetter than mine down south.

Yeah, I bought these before I knew there were several other varieties... as I understand it though, Cunninghamiana does pretty well here, so I suppose that's one good thing, it's just the full sun that could be a problem. I planted them in the backyard next to the house (for protection and heat) in a South South West facing directions. I have a tripple and a double (shown here). 

Anyways, I noted that the soil is currently plenty moist. I was putting some ferts down in the soil a day or 2 ago and noted that there were some white fine roots in a shallow portion of the soil, so I figured that's good so far. 

Thank you for your response. 

The browning looks like sunburn. The white new growth I’m not sure what it is, but one of mine did that. I poured peroxide down the crownshaft and it seemed to take care of it. The white spear never opened. It just grew until it fell over and I had to cut it off but the next leaf looked normal. That was over a year ago. It’s impossible to over water a cunninghamiana. 

• Upvote 1

I have heard that about cunninghamiana, however, I have some heavy clay soil, so sometimes I worry about it a bit. The stuff really holds it's moisture. 

The nice thing about them is with Bangalows they are so common, you can always replace them at a decent price. As well as try out different spots in your yard until you find a spot that works best. When you get a robust healthy Common King they are impressive and beautiful palms.

1 hour ago, BayAndroid said:

I have heard that about cunninghamiana, however, I have some heavy clay soil, so sometimes I worry about it a bit. The stuff really holds it's moisture. 

Clay soil isn’t an issue. I have clay also. They’ve been known to grow in spots with constant standing water. It’s literally impossible to over water it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BayAndroid said:

Yeah, I bought these before I knew there were several other varieties... as I understand it though, Cunninghamiana does pretty well here, so I suppose that's one good thing, it's just the full sun that could be a problem. I planted them in the backyard next to the house (for protection and heat) in a South South West facing directions. I have a tripple and a double (shown here). 

Anyways, I noted that the soil is currently plenty moist. I was putting some ferts down in the soil a day or 2 ago and noted that there were some white fine roots in a shallow portion of the soil, so I figured that's good so far. 

Thank you for your response. 

Where in the Bay Area are you? I don't think you'll need to worry about planting so close to the house. Remember these will be 20ft + within 10 years. And like Jeff said - you can't overwater them.

Water water water! These palms need lots. I have groves of them all over my property and some growing at the edge of my koi pond right in the water. You can’t drown these. As you can see, some are planted inches from my house as well. They’re so adaptable! D046A93F-4006-4FA9-B82F-6060A3B89991.png.bfbb6a10e1ff3d2f42090bcafe0529c1.pngFB5112B0-94AB-4222-9DCC-57C7C4F93548.png.42d2f03a2815f9ce3e8049141fa25aa8.png502CFB6C-031D-4B3C-890C-6712BBFA4D60.thumb.jpeg.198ab89d916d8393398d21477ef54709.jpeg68F081F5-D3B8-4E67-8E2F-BD430E735FC8.thumb.jpeg.4c939763089e7fcba89597a46c30ba30.jpeg

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I'm not going to lie, I have a Koi pond in the future planning... but, one step at a time. 

James, you're right, I could replace them if it doesn't work out, I have plans to put some more kings in the front of my house, which faces east and gets decent sun, but more shade through the day. I think they'll actually do really well on that side of the house. 

NorCalKing, I live in Redwood City, so climate is good, but gets pretty hot in the Summer. I think the summer was a bit harsh for these kings, but it's their first season, so I think as they grow out and the fronds start to protect the crown shaft some more, they will do better. 

Thank you for your advice guys!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BayAndroid said:

I'm not going to lie, I have a Koi pond in the future planning... but, one step at a time. 

James, you're right, I could replace them if it doesn't work out, I have plans to put some more kings in the front of my house, which faces east and gets decent sun, but more shade through the day. I think they'll actually do really well on that side of the house. 

NorCalKing, I live in Redwood City, so climate is good, but gets pretty hot in the Summer. I think the summer was a bit harsh for these kings, but it's their first season, so I think as they grow out and the fronds start to protect the crown shaft some more, they will do better. 

Thank you for your advice guys!

Good plan. The ones that will face East will look much different. They will have a much greener color since they sun burn more easily than the variants of Alexandrae. Consider adding some other types of Kings as well. The 4 types I have growing have done great for me. Out of 30 planted only 2 succumbed to pink rot. But both that did were sprayed by sprinklers on their crowns in cooler weather. That was a lesson I learned early on that you run the risk of rot if your palms have their crowns hit with tap water especially when it gets cooler.

As for the heat. All of the Kings in my yard save the newest planted just last week have seen 113 degrees in summer. Key is the up the water the hotter it gets and they will be ok. They are some of the toughest tropical palms we can grow in Cali.

• Upvote 1

Will, King palms should do very well for you in Redwood City, possibly better than mine in Los Altos. Our climates shown below show that your summer temps are a bit cooler than mine and I have Kings in full all day sun here.6288839C-2491-403B-95FD-A9E05A3B485C.thumb.png.e872225cb5da0d902a63ab5c95899663.png4200F8A3-C738-4416-9FFE-D9657F1E6F59.thumb.png.05f1162d011428b45405b21480073391.png4B7F0EFF-4494-4B52-A8AD-6F2C16C99E95.thumb.jpeg.cd1acf3198a5129e9e2f5c6d6419fcd7.jpeg8B197165-4666-42A6-8DAB-959237B850AE.thumb.jpeg.78cc46644d56d030d89f97beff3a003a.jpegF22430CD-1FE7-4329-AE5D-6C78D4075027.thumb.jpeg.0ad0af37044d8719f92bf97a43563d61.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 5 weeks later...

An update on my King Palms. 

So current status on my king palms... I have a tripple and a double in my yard. Each of these has 1 palm with a spear that came up looking white near the base. Hopefully you're following so far. 

The double is looking a little better, after I put some Hydrogen Peroxide down the crown shaft a few weeks ago. The tripple, on the other hand, has one spear that wasn't doing anything and looked pretty rotten at the base, so I pulled on it and this is what came up. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RiHw713Fb5KgD3SdA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D3LTPDTU2bfKt7aX6

The end of the new spear came out with a mushy soft end. I've cut back on my watering a lot, just in case. (Been this way since I posted this thread) The pictures are of the medium sized tree (from the tripple) The large tree and the smallest tree in the same set seem to be doing fine. 

I put some more hydrogen peroxide down the crown shaft today and it bubbled up a lot. Any advice is welcome, I'm just trying to wait it out to see if I notice any recovery. 

Dont be scared with the hydrogen peroxide use it every other day if its still fizzing. Kings are great growers and love water. Possibly still transplant shock 

• Like 1

T J 

Ok, thank you for the info. If anyone knows, how does root rot usually come about? Seems that most people say that the watering is not a big issue with kings, but I read online that root rot is a problem for King Palms. 

Sorry to barge in, but while on the topic of King Palms in the bay area - Any idea how Archontophoenix purpurea (Mount Lewis king palm) will do here? 

I've got 3 seedlings in a small pot currently in a greenhouse, and I live in Bay Farm Island.
Our summers are slightly warmer than SF, but nowhere near Redwood City or Los Altos.

Thanks,
Ittai