IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor 'Congaree' Look So Cool!

PalmTreeDude

The Sabal minor population in and around Congaree National Park, which is just Southeast of Columbia, South Carolina, look really cool. They have basically 360° fronds that stick kind of upright. Look at this observation of them that I saw on iNaturalist in their habitat. I would recommend looking around the observation map as well, you can literally see the different ecotypes around the Southeast. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10726721

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

8 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

Given their provenance is near Colombia, SC - at least down to single digits.

201910092250_ColombiaSC_Weather.png

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I agree with Flow. Someone in the area needs to collect seeds of this variety so it can be cultivated for other palm lovers.

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ said:

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Any seeds or small seedlings?

32 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

Not sure. Always just admired them from afar. If it's not a washout this weekend I'll try to check them out. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/17/2019 at 7:25 PM, Nj Palms said:

Anyone get any seeds from congaree. Would love some seeds or seedlings. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 10:59 AM, steve617 said:

Anyone get any seeds from congaree. Would love some seeds or seedlings. 

One of these days I’ll make it down there. Keep reminding me this summer :greenthumb:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Interested in this topic.  Is it accepted that Sabal Minor is 360 degree fronds?  If so why is the ‘Conagree 360’ of interest to some?  Found a local stand recently that look 360+. Will admit to being a bit new here as my own Sabal Minors (purchased) do not exhibit the 360 fronds.  Photos include the 360 (first 2 pics) and my own (third pic, clearly not 360)

690B3880-DFD3-4F66-BB9D-EB185C355973.jpeg

FD0E5D62-E435-4BBA-8448-A8674376F7FF.jpeg

7BA2EA9E-3E03-4B06-A8FB-0269B7051E43.jpeg