Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Sabal minor 'Congaree' Look So Cool!

PalmTreeDude

The Sabal minor population in and around Congaree National Park, which is just Southeast of Columbia, South Carolina, look really cool. They have basically 360° fronds that stick kind of upright. Look at this observation of them that I saw on iNaturalist in their habitat. I would recommend looking around the observation map as well, you can literally see the different ecotypes around the Southeast. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10726721

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

mdsonofthesouth

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

kinzyjr
8 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

Given their provenance is near Colombia, SC - at least down to single digits.

201910092250_ColombiaSC_Weather.png

• Upvote 1

Flow

Excellent find. How I would like me some seeds^_^.

PalmatierMeg

I agree with Flow. Someone in the area needs to collect seeds of this variety so it can be cultivated for other palm lovers.

• Like 2

RJ

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Nj Palms
1 hour ago, RJ said:

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Any seeds or small seedlings?

RJ
32 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

Any seeds or small seedlings?

Not sure. Always just admired them from afar. If it's not a washout this weekend I'll try to check them out. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant has produced a crop of 250 seeds this year. For info on this beautiful NC native Sabal minor check out link below from last year:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/&tab=comments#comment-868587
      I am selling this year's crop as follows:
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant seeds: 50 @ $10.00
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Total = $15.00
      Payment via Paypal. Pm me if you are interested.
      Photos

Mother palm

• Hillizard
      By Hillizard
      An Unflinching Look, a documentary photo series by Benjamin Dimmitt, is set in Florida and focuses its gaze on rising sea levels. Dimmitt has been photographing in the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge north of Tampa since 2004, after an initial visit more than 30 years ago. https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2019/10/an-unflinching-look/

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a group of 12 seedlings from this rare, endangered blue Sabal minor from Emerald Isle, NC. Refer to topic below for info about this Sabal variety:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/&tab=comments#comment-868587
      Seedlings for sale were germinated from the last of the 2018 crop of seeds and are the only ones I have. I haven't harvested and tested this year's crop yet. If you collect varieties of Sabal minor don't let this beautiful palm get away.
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seedlings: 12 = $20.00 for the lot.
      Shipping = $10.00  Seedlings will be sent without pots and soil with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil
      Total - $30.00
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI. PM me if you are interested
      Photos

Mother palm

• limoncik
      By limoncik
      Tell me how hardy Sabal Blackburn? There is very little information about him. Which one of you is growing?

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I potted these sabals about a month ago and they don't seem to be doing too well. I ordered all three of them online from a palm nursery in Florida and they did arrive with a few wilting/discolored fronds. What worries me is that there has been little to no improvement in their condition since. I water them once every 1-2 days, make sure they get plenty of sun, and I potted them in well draining, palm specific soil. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but any tips would be greatly appreciated. (BTW: I plan to overwinter them inside in pots and then plant them in the ground next spring if they're still alive)
      Here's a few pictures of them: