Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Sabal minor 'Congaree' Look So Cool!

PalmTreeDude

The Sabal minor population in and around Congaree National Park, which is just Southeast of Columbia, South Carolina, look really cool. They have basically 360° fronds that stick kind of upright. Look at this observation of them that I saw on iNaturalist in their habitat. I would recommend looking around the observation map as well, you can literally see the different ecotypes around the Southeast. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10726721

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

mdsonofthesouth

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

kinzyjr
8 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

Given their provenance is near Colombia, SC - at least down to single digits.

201910092250_ColombiaSC_Weather.png

• Upvote 2

Flow

Excellent find. How I would like me some seeds^_^.

PalmatierMeg

I agree with Flow. Someone in the area needs to collect seeds of this variety so it can be cultivated for other palm lovers.

• Like 2

RJ

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Nj Palms
1 hour ago, RJ said:

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Any seeds or small seedlings?

RJ
32 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

Any seeds or small seedlings?

Not sure. Always just admired them from afar. If it's not a washout this weekend I'll try to check them out.