Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Sabal minor 'Congaree' Look So Cool!

PalmTreeDude

The Sabal minor population in and around Congaree National Park, which is just Southeast of Columbia, South Carolina, look really cool. They have basically 360° fronds that stick kind of upright. Look at this observation of them that I saw on iNaturalist in their habitat. I would recommend looking around the observation map as well, you can literally see the different ecotypes around the Southeast. 

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10726721

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

mdsonofthesouth

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

kinzyjr
8 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Beautiful! Wonder their hardiness lol.

Given their provenance is near Colombia, SC - at least down to single digits.

201910092250_ColombiaSC_Weather.png

• Upvote 2

Flow

Excellent find. How I would like me some seeds^_^.

PalmatierMeg

I agree with Flow. Someone in the area needs to collect seeds of this variety so it can be cultivated for other palm lovers.

• Like 2

RJ

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Nj Palms
1 hour ago, RJ said:

I'm not far from there. 

I also go by I native stand on the way to work. I should take a look at those. They're good sized I know that. When the leaves drop they stand out off in the woods. 

Any seeds or small seedlings?

RJ
32 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

Any seeds or small seedlings?

Not sure. Always just admired them from afar. If it's not a washout this weekend I'll try to check them out. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      So we live in Lake Charles, La. Recently devastated by hurricane Laura.  While driving around I noticed a fairly large palmetto tree in the ditch that someone removed from their property (4ft trunk). It looks like it will transplant pretty well.  I have a few questions from the experts. Does anyone have experience moving these? How much would one with a 4 ft trunk weigh? Because we would probably have to pick it up by hand to get it in the bed of the truck. ( two 30ish year old guys) 2nd question. Does it look healthy? I feel like it's in perfect shape. Haha. Well any tips and advice would be greatly.  I will attach a picture.  Thanks!
      Kurt

• Marius
      By Marius
      My biggest Sabal minor has two inflorescences sprouting. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Palms are seeding all over our 0.61 ac paradise. Some seeds are welcome - others not so much. In the welcome category are Gaussia maya and two varieties of Sabal minor "uber dwarfs" (my term). 
      Gaussia maya ripening seeds

If Sabal minor is sometimes called a "dwarf Sabal" because of its shrubby nature, uber dwarf Sabal minors take dwarfism to a whole new level - they are dwarfs of dwarfs. One of the better known is Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf (uber dwarfs are usually named for the community closest to discovery). Blountstown is a town in the FL Panhandle directly west of Tallahassee. This tiny palm seldom exceeds 18" tall by 30" wide. My original mother palm has been that size for the past 5-6 years and her offspring grow true. The leaves have an angle of 65-75 degrees. Crops of seeds number fewer than 100. 
      Sabal minor Blountstown dwarf in seed

Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf is found on the coast of the Big Bend near the town of Wakulla, southeast of Tallahassee. Superficially, it closely resembles Blountstown Dwarf and you might wonder if both are the same variety, except their populations are 60 miles apart. Only DNA testing can determine how closely they are related. But in my experience growing both varieties, I found Blountstown Dwarf to be less finicky. I tried a number of Wakulla dwarfs and have succeeded at growing only two to adulthood. Should I chalk the experience up to my skill or lack thereof at growing them? My two Wakulla dwarfs are seeding for the first time this year

• kbob11
      By kbob11
      Last spring 2019 I planted a 5 gal sabal minor by the back of my property.   I offered it NO winter protection in a 6a climate.  This spring 2020 it was completely dead or so I thought.  This morning I was out weeding and discovered new growth coming out!  I thought it was a lost cause but am happy to see!  Anyone else have a successful sabal minor above 42N on the east coast?
      Photo 1: close up 
      Photo 2: as discovered today
      Photo 3: day of planting March 2019

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have 3 unusual Sabal seedlings for sale as a lot. The first one in a 4" pot lost its tag a while back. I suspect it may be a Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf by its size and coloration BUT I don't know for sure. It is 2-3 years old and still strap leaf but is ready to go into a larger pot or the ground.
      The second two seedlings are from seeds I collected in the spring of 2019 when I visited Rotary Park in far south Cape Coral. I walked along the park nature trail, then saw some strange looking trunked Sabals in the wetlands off the trail. They were large and quite old and their leaves did not look like typical wild Sabal palmetto. Leaves were unusually flat and pinnae cut very shallowly. I saw a number of these palms in that vicinity - a whole population. Rotary Park has been around for decades but I wondered if these old Sabals were a remnant of a separate species planted by man or natural occurences. As Sabal seeds ripen in late fall here, most of these palms were bare of seeds, but I managed to pluck some leftovers. I also took a raft of photos to post here but no one offered any ideas what these unknown Sabals may be. Anyway, 3 of the seeds germinated for me last year so I am keeping one plant and selling the other two.
      Mystery Sabal Seedlings x3: $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail          No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL DUE = $25.00
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Mystery Sabals x3

Mystery Sabal #1

Mystery Sabals #2 & #3, Rotary Park, Cape Coral, FL

Rotary Park Mystery Sabals, 2019