palmsOrl

Post your Cyrtostachys!

palmsOrl

I finally bought a replacement for my lost Cyrtostachys renda.  This little guy arrived a couple days ago fresh from Hawaii.  Looking closely at it, I assume it is a compot(?) of multiple seedlings in one pot, as individual C. renda seedlings do not clump/sucker at that small size.

The bubble wrap is there to keep exposed surface roots moist until I can get them covered by good soil.

The question is, should I separate all of the seedlings into their own pots and grow them out to hopefully select one in the future with really vivid red color, or just grow the clump as is.  

1860944173_post-2050-0860750001307457668(1).jpg.bf05f93c54542762cca7a8a3fa9fe168.jpg

20200214_224920.jpg

• Like 2

palmsOrl

Here is an update.

The first photo is of my Cyrtostachys "Apple", not a good photo, but it has nearly doubled in size since early October.

The second is my relatively new Cyrtostachys renda, purchased in January from Hawaii.  I thought due to its small size that it might be a bunch of seedlings planted together (the clump is the same height as my still individually stemmed Cyrtostachys "Apple") but when I repotted it, I found it to be all one plant and boy was it root bound.

Obviously, I am keeping them both wet and in partial sun as my porch does not have any full-sun locations anyways.

Cyrtostachys 'Apple' 4-20.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda 4-20.jpg

• Like 3

Kris

Here is our's...BTW its my third attempt with these palms:

760541720_007_LipstickPalm_007a.thumb.jpg.8497430340ac73c0d6cc12bf6b988e93.jpg

682566769_008_LipstickPalm_002b.thumb.jpg.e89d491b6160cef5168a01ab6cf8d3e2.jpg

353298708_LipstickPalm_001c.thumb.jpg.2409d541bc41e65f4aab9341e1f5a717.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

greysrigging
59 minutes ago, Kris said:

760541720_007_LipstickPalm_007a.thumb.jpg.8497430340ac73c0d6cc12bf6b988e93.jpg

682566769_008_LipstickPalm_002b.thumb.jpg.e89d491b6160cef5168a01ab6cf8d3e2.jpg

353298708_LipstickPalm_001c.thumb.jpg.2409d541bc41e65f4aab9341e1f5a717.jpg

Should thrive in your climate.... unless you are a bit too cold in the foothills or too dry after the finish of the monsoons. I have to water mine in the dry season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kim
10 hours ago, Kris said:

Hi Kris!  I hope you and your family are well. :)

Maybe put a saucer under the pots to help hold the moisture longer?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kris
20 hours ago, Kim said:

Hi Kris!  I hope you and your family are well. :)

Maybe put a saucer under the pots to help hold the moisture longer?

Dear Kim,

Thanks for the suggestion,One of our members have suggested this to me and i have implemented this.It seems to do the trick. Initially i used to water this palm every alternate days.i.e only when the top soil dried up but it had adverse effect on the palm.

Here's a link to that thread,,

Thanks and love,

Kris :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kris
On 4/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, greysrigging said:

Should thrive in your climate.... unless you are a bit too cold in the foothills or too dry after the finish of the monsoons. I have to water mine in the dry season.

Thanks. Now iam watering it daily since we are in hot humid summer season.Only 2 months we get rains but i want say it as winters since the air around is sultry and hot throughout the year.

• Upvote 1

palmsOrl

I stumbled across this really good photo of the Cyrtostachys Hybrid I had at my former house, when looking though old Palmtalk threads for my Kopsick coconuts.  I actually had another one, but this one I bought as the hybrid.

Cyrtostachys hybrid one.jpg

• Like 2

palmsOrl

My Cyrtostachys "Apple" is looking good on this hot, dry day.

20200520_160858.jpg

• Like 3

HeroLite

Just made it through the whole thread and absolutely love seeing Apple growing up!  My Cyrtostachys "DeadPool" has only been with me for a couple months and i'm doing my best to do right by him. Grow lights, daily water, some low fertilizer doses and repotting. New growth has been slow but happy to be sure. Thanks for this thread i'll be following up! 

IMG_20200428_152845_MP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl

HeroLite, thank you!  It has been fun babying my Cyrtostachys "Apple" and watching it progress.  Now that the serious heat and humidity are here, it should speed up.  I think by fall it might be two feet tall.

Your Cyrtostachys is beautiful!  You are obviously taking excellent care of it.  I am very impressed.

I am not familiar with Cyrtostachys "DeadPool".  Is this a known, official cultivar?  I wasn't able to find anything relevant in a Google search.  Being my favorite genus, I am pretty familiar with all things Cyrtostachys, but there is always more to learn.  Please share more about Cyrtostachys "DeadPool".

palmsOrl
On 4/24/2020 at 8:30 PM, palmsOrl said:

Here is an update.

The first photo is of my Cyrtostachys "Apple", not a good photo, but it has nearly doubled in size since early October.

The second is my relatively new Cyrtostachys renda, purchased in January from Hawaii.  I thought due to its small size that it might be a bunch of seedlings planted together (the clump is the same height as my still individually stemmed Cyrtostachys "Apple") but when I repotted it, I found it to be all one plant and boy was it root bound.

Obviously, I am keeping them both wet and in partial sun as my porch does not have any full-sun locations anyways.

Cyrtostachys 'Apple' 4-20.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda 4-20.jpg

I am also considering taking these over to my grandma's and putting them in full sun to speed up their growth.  Will full sun cause them to grow a lot faster?  Are they too small as of yet for full sun?

On the other hand, they are destined to stay potted so maybe I should choose to have them grow more slowly.  When they get to tall I plan to cut the tallest stem so I can manage the palms in pots for a long time and possibly forever depending on when and if I end up with a yard in South FL.

• Like 1

greysrigging

A common landscape species in Darwin, providing they are watered during the 'dry season'. Being an equatorial lowland species, they don't seem to mind wet feet
They look good when watered regularly.
104143791_302597807449452_5433999879607297816_n.jpg.b1a8b392acf0e630fe2df09f043cee75.jpg

104997826_788480621685152_2267861818450479549_n.jpg.162f7fbc18a17b273ba132215276aacd.jpg
But die off quickly when the water is turned off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl

I went ahead and repotted the Cyrtostachys "Apple" (first photo) from an 8" black nursery pot to a 10" black nursery pot and potted it in a 10% sand, 10% Vermiculite, 30% potting soil, 50% peat moss mix and gave it some Dynamite fertilizer.  The roots on this one hadn't nearly filled the pot it was in surprisingly, but are very healthy.

The second photo is Cyrtostachys renda, which I repotted back into the same pot but with same soil mix as I used for my other Cyrtostachys.  I repotted this one mainly because last time I did I just did it in a hurry and used a mish-mash of whatever was available, dirt, orchid bark, etc.

20200624_134026.jpg

20200624_134015.jpg

palmsOrl

I'm not sure if I mentioned this on here in another thread, but in speaking with Jeff Marcus, he mentioned that Cyrtostachys "Apple" is a hybrid between the orange and red forms of Cyrtostachys renda.  As such, I no longer expect Cyrtostachys "Apple" to be more cold hardy than any other Cyrtostachys renda.

Further, Jeff mentioned that C. "Apple" does not clump nearly as much as C. renda, thus why my C. Apple specimen is still single-stemmed, while my C. renda, which is shorter than the "Apple", has at least a dozen growths in the small clump.

Also, (I think I did mention this already) Jeff explained that since Cyrtostachys are promiscuous, he believes the Cyrtostachys Hybrid to be Cyrtostachys renda × Cyrtostachys elegans, however, it could also be Cyrtostachys renda × Cyrtostachys loriae or even a hybrid of these three species.  He does not know with 100% certainty.