IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your Cyrtostachys!

palmsOrl

Here's my little c. renda!  I purchased it off ebay from a seller in Hawaii just over a year ago.  I'm growing it in an apartment in Seattle so it's definitely had some ups and downs as I've figured out how best to address it's needs in my indoor space. 

The real turning point in it's health (from bad to good) was when I moved it from the soil it came in to a self watering lechuza planter that I filled with my homemade pon.  This was about 6 months ago.  In addition, I also secured a heat mat around the inner pot and it really seems to like that.  I'm basically just trying to recreate the warm tropical swamps it thrives in.  With the inner reservoir constantly keeping the palm hydrated as well the heat mat keeping the root structure warm it finally seems like it's decided to start growing.  Each seedling has put out a new set of leaves since it's been in the Lechuza pot and I haven't noticed any type of decline.  I have it located next to my desk and it gets light from a couple different localized led grow lights.

For how small it is it's starting to show some promising early red color so that's very heartening!  I feel like I've seen ones for sale that are 2-3x as tall that are still completely green so hopefully I'm not too many years away from a nice bright red crownshaft :)  That being said, she's still incredibly slow growing lol, I have a long road ahead of me haha.

jsznh7fxmrh61.jpeg

h9vim8owmrh61.jpeg

o1r9mhdtmrh61.jpeg

889mt67vmrh61.jpeg

IMG_1349.JPG

z8vgxlwpnrh61.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Looking good.  I really enjoy the effect of the lighting.  Keep it warm and wet and it should continue to do well for you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Cyrtostachys renda is showing its first hint of color on the one stem toward the left.  Not that big of a deal but it is my favorite species so I am always excited as I notice any developments.

IMG_20210624_112929936.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to all growing this beauty whether inside or out.

Almost cheating here in Puerto Rico with this species, but nevertheless after seeing what the Strategus beetle is doing to some of my collection today, I opted to take some C. renda photos to remind myself of the successes!

DSCN1892.thumb.jpg.95cc8d15d3175c1b37ac0e8d850ce395.jpg

DSCN1843.thumb.jpg.73790fd5741846ddc608fcb3ef1342a8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Hi Cindy.  Cheating, I do not think so.  You palm looks incredible.

I worked in PR a few years ago and there were several lipstick palms in planters outside the PREPA offices in San Juan.  Wow, yours look so much better.

I am in Miami, Coconut Grove, and have a 12 foot ish Lipstick in my yard.  Also have the hybrid that has purple striping on the trunk.  I think it is Theodora Buhlera variety.

Anyhow, I enjoy our posts.  I am headed to PR later this month.

Phil

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not my palms but planted out in my vicinity in front of a farm. It doesn't look like the farmer really takes care of it but they are nevertheless big clumps covering the whole length of the farm, about 100 meter. You see those here only planted out in the south, up to the middle of the country really. these here are easily 6/8 meter tall. 

DSC_0115.thumb.jpg.cf04a0e9a73e6857ba4eba50c13f2d1a.jpg

DSC_0116.thumb.jpg.31c6a43d1d427eb0700bd7e5eec0e2e5.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Dear palm friends, this is the only Cyrtostachys in the palmetum, planted twp years ago in this "pond of mud", backed by a southerly oriented rock wall. It is in the "miscellanea" section,  surrounded by frost hardy palm species, for no real reason.

Just as in last winter, the tiniest pups have died, but the main head Is getting healthier and larger.

We have just opened the base of its winter tent, which will be removed in a few weeks.

Carlo

IMG20220322115516.jpg

IMG20220322115540.jpg

IMG20220322115639.jpg

IMG20220322115556.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Here is mine now, germinated from seed. (22-11-2021)

While it’s not perfectly green, it’s growing without any problems in my livingroom and it’s second leaf is almost there.

It’s in a self watering container and the soil is Lechuza Pon.

Livingroom conditions right now:

23.7C, 51% humidity, sunny.

It’s in my living room since 24th of April.

I have floor heating, so my livingroom is always atleast 22C. (Day and night)

114F88BD-7ECC-4F7E-B53C-C9C98D26E939.thumb.jpeg.fc73a871feaf01e162faf91f55e00bbd.jpeg

F0E6643F-86B7-42F2-B635-8F3F6E66737A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few more photos. They vary in age and size planted. I did take cuttings of the smaller off shoots and the success rate wasn’t very high. Temperamental little buggers and slower than molasses…..the last photo. Must be three years old.

Tim

4E981C88-C397-4FCF-95D5-76292464EDD0.jpeg

E0A33A37-745F-4762-A891-ED89E989A705.jpeg

A1192FA9-8E25-4012-9BC5-A45DEF05CD4F.jpeg

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cyrostachys renda in Palmetto Bay FL. There were a few in the area, this one stood out as it was up against a north facing wall.

F5E63491-0FD3-42AC-B3AF-3FE6FF104652.jpeg

• Like 3