IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas hongheensis seedlings for sale

LJG

Cycas hongheensis (Blue Hong He Sago)

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/cycas-hongheensis

Been after this cycad for many years. Paid the high price for the seed, but ended up with way more than I'll ever need. $75 plus shipping.

IMG_4495.jpeg

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I think 15. Need to count. Not sure on hardiness, but Chinese cycas are usually very cold tolerant. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I got my seed from Garry in China. We was about half the price I think. His seed is the best, I always have great germination rates. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Put me down for one dude.. see ya soon enough :D

Very weird, I thought I replied to this earlier a day ago or so.. yet I saw nothing.. go to click reply and my original text above appeared in the window.. Same comment btw..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

25 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Put me down for one dude.. see ya soon enough :D

Very weird, I thought I replied to this earlier a day ago or so.. yet I saw nothing.. go to click reply and my original text above appeared in the window.. Same comment btw..

I had 23 (23/28 germinated). Down to 5 for sale after putting aside 3 for me. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Yes, it is $15 to put these in a USPS tube to FL. PM me if interested for PayPal details.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

3 plants left. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Here is a nice picture of a mature one in Florida a few years back. Very cool slate blue color like E. munchii.20161110_104603.thumb.jpg.9839c2394abf9c66d3199fd17de04152.jpg

• Like 4

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Sorry, just saw you take PayPal, I’d like to get one. How do we proceed?

My email is mlabov@forefrontmedia.com

• 2 weeks later...

I literally have 1 left for sale. PM for PayPal details.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Gerhard Bock said:

I'll take last if you have any left.

I don’t have anymore. Not to mention I found out a few weeks ago these are most likely Cycas diannanensis according to someone knowledgeable that knows the person that shipped me the seed.

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I thought the 2 i received from you didn't quite look right but I'm no expert. :bummed:

9 hours ago, LJG said:

I don’t have anymore. Not to mention I found out a few weeks ago these are most likely Cycas diannanensis according to someone knowledgeable that knows the person that shipped me the seed.

No worries! Thanks for letting me know.

Are we really sure these are diannensis?  I have a few from the same source and presumably same seed batch.  The problem is, I also have diannensis from Garry and they are definitely not the same plant.

I also thought diannensis were really cold hardy and these things had a touch of frost burn last winter.

Is there anyone that has seedling photos of these species with 100% confidence in the IDs?

Edited by Turtlesteve

4 hours ago, Turtlesteve said:

Are we really sure these are diannensis?  I have a few from the same source and presumably same seed batch.  The problem is, I also have diannensis from Garry and they are definitely not the same plant.

I also thought diannensis were really cold hardy and these things had a touch of frost burn last winter.

Is there anyone that has seedling photos of these species with 100% confidence in the IDs?

So the story goes... I paid a lot of money for this Hongheensis seed from Garry at Cold Palm. Sim Lav, whom I believe to be one of the more astute cycad dudes is positive this is not Hongheensis. Guesses Diannensis. I’ll alert him to this thread and he can explain as he has excellent knowledge of the history behind this species. I contacted Garry a few weeks back and I’m sure he too knows it was not true Hongheensis - which totally sucks. 

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

4 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Yeah, they look different than the one I bought from NorthTexasColdHardyPalms.

Outside a Montgomery Botanical Center connection, I wonder where their seed came from? 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

4 minutes ago, LJG said:

So the story goes... I paid a lot of money for this Hongheensis seed from Garry at Cold Palm. Sim Lav, whom I believe to be one of the more astute cycad dudes is positive this is not Hongheensis. Guesses Diannensis. I’ll alert him to this thread and he can explain as he has excellent knowledge of the history behind this species. I contacted Garry a few weeks back and I’m sure he too knows it was not true Hongheensis - which totally sucks. 

Ok, thanks a bunch.  Curious to see what they actually are.  I went and studied my plants in detail and have to admit they do look like the (claimed) diannensis seedlings from Garry’s seed.  But, they didn’t really look the same as single leaf seedlings, and the seeds looked quite different.  The diannensis seeds were ovoid with flattened spots.  The seeds sold as hongheensis were spherical, no flattened spots, but had a pronounced sharp point on one end.  Maybe these features are simply not diagnostic...

Steve

• Upvote 1

Mbc has a large female; no male. As far as I know I have the second largest hongheensis in the USA right around 30" trunk. Until my plant cones and produces pollen no hongheensis seed can be produced in the usa.  I'm putting it in the ground soon so with some luck that will happen asap.

The leaves look like a blue sage. Roughly same keel, width, and length.  I'll post a pic in the cycad thread the next time it flushes. 

• Upvote 1

A few more leaves and I think we'll see that diannensis ripple leaf. 

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Mbc has a large female; no male. As far as I know I have the second largest hongheensis in the USA right around 30" trunk. Until my plant cones and produces pollen no hongheensis seed can be produced in the usa.  I'm putting it in the ground soon so with some luck that will happen asap.

The leaves look like a blue sage. Roughly same keel, width, and length.  I'll post a pic in the cycad thread the next time it flushes. 

Pics! :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Yeah looking at mine it looks like the leaves just aren’t as elongated yet. I had planned on buying more, good thing I didn’t. 

• 4 months later...

An update: I put aside 3 of these as I was going to plant them out in the garden. All three have opened split leaflets. Weird.

IMG_8293.thumb.jpeg.975fbde051b2768619dcafc44f7d59aa.jpeg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Do Hongheensis and Debaoensis grow in the same area? Likely hybrid?

No, not in habitat but the plant Garry said he got the “Hongheensis” from is next to other cycads species. I think Multifrondis is one. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Sounds like seeds from different sources were mixed together. Disappointing. I may end up keeping mine to see what it develops into 

3 hours ago, Turtlesteve said:

No split leaflets here.  8E37C433-CB84-4657-8B83-9D4E46B2B0CF.thumb.jpeg.41a9abfcbf1063d32b1ccf27cf2245fc.jpeg

Wouldn't count on it. My leaves all looked like that and then all of a sudden each turned to this split leaf I showed. You can see in my pick the regular leaf of last flush.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin