IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID Request

StluciaMike

Hello all!

I planted these a few years ago at our vacation home and over time the labels have worn away to nothing.  For the life of me I cannot remember what they are.  Photos below, any help would be much appreciated :)

Palm 1

20191006_144028.jpg

20191006_144038.jpg

20191006_144052.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt, 

Thanks for the response, after researching what you suggested it certainly does seem to be a likely candidate for Sp. Mayotte, but I also saw all the mystery and around the classification of Sp. Mayotte as well.  One thing I know for sure is that I have never specifically purchased an Sp. Mayotte but about 3 years ago I purchased seedlings on ebay listed only as "Comoro Island Palms" which has led me to have the same Cabadae / Pembana and Mayotte mystery that other people have.

Edited by StluciaMike

On 10/9/2019 at 12:27 AM, StluciaMike said:

Hello all!

I planted these a few years ago at our vacation home and over time the labels have worn away to nothing.  For the life of me I cannot remember what they are.  Photos below, any help would be much appreciated :)

Palm 1

20191006_144028.jpg

20191006_144038.jpg

20191006_144052.jpg

Palm 1 looks like Archontophoenix cunninghamiana to me:

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/58/Ac0027.jpg/654px-Ac0027.jpg

• Like 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

18 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Palm 1 looks like Archontophoenix cunninghamiana to me:

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/thumb/5/58/Ac0027.jpg/654px-Ac0027.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana looks like it could be as well, however looking through all my orders for the past 4 years I have never ordered a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, so it would be a complete mystery how it ended up there :lol:

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

2 looks like Sp. Mayotte Island to me.

Matt, 

Thanks for the response, after researching what you suggested it certainly does seem to be a likely candidate for Sp. Mayotte, but I also saw all the mystery and around the classification of Sp. Mayotte as well.  One thing I know for sure is that I have never specifically purchased an Sp. Mayotte but about 3 years ago I purchased seedlings on ebay listed only as "Comoro Island Palms" which has led me to have the same Cabadae / Pembana and Mayotte mystery that other people have.

Mike, 

Could palm 1 be a Chambeyronia?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

6 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Mike, 

Could palm 1 be a Chambeyronia?

I just checked my orders, never ordered a Chambeyronia so I dont think so unfortunately. :(

Edited by StluciaMike

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, V-Cycle said:

Posting your list of palms that you purchased will narrow down the options, that would be wise.

Great idea! Looking at back at my orders this is what I ordered in the time frame.

Ravenala homkondambo seeds
Acoelorrhaphe wrightii seeds
Dypsis lanceolata seeds

Ptychosperma salomonense seedlings
Zombia antillarum seedlings
Cryosophila stauracantha seedlings
Dypsis Pembana seedlings

#1 looks a lot like my Pembana, but it's dark and raining right now, so i can't do an easy comparison.  At that size I'd think it would have already started clustering though, so that might not be it.

24 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

#1 looks a lot like my Pembana, but it's dark and raining right now, so i can't do an easy comparison.  At that size I'd think it would have already started clustering though, so that might not be it.

In one of the pics you can see a few “stitches” on the underside of the leaflets of palm #1. I don’t believe D. Pembanas have that. At least mine doesn’t.  So that might exclude that.

Palm #3 does look like D. Cabadae to me. Too much red for Pembana.

Looks like an archontophoenix to me as well. (Although in one of your pictures, the crownshaft looks silver/gray). 

Here's a pick of my A. cunninghamiana 

15732776919945279356621648168614.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I'd revise my earlier statement, I think palm #2 is the Pembana.  Here's photos of mine this morning, bought from MB Palms last fall.  White tomentum on the trunk, strong midrib on the leaflets, it looks pretty close!

P1050501.thumb.JPG.e6b4719e778ca89e1ff8634bd4340921.JPG

P1050500.thumb.JPG.4d2b3ac2a901e87c4206ec38adfb27fa.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2019 at 5:58 PM, StluciaMike said:

I just checked my orders, never ordered a Chambeyronia so I dont think so unfortunately. :(

I agree, I thought I saw a Blonde Flamer in there.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Looks like a Dypsis Lanceolata to me.....I have Cabadae and Pembana as well.  Cabadae is easier for me to recognize....the Lanceolata and Pembana I have a tough time figuring out...plus info online seems to not be very consistent.  I uploaded 2 pics of what I think is my Lanceolata (the larger palm) Lanceolata.jpg.d7caa207cdc3c705c5f49913579b6297.jpg and 2 pics is a smaller Pembana.  They are definitely different palms.....the leaflets are much more narrow on the Pembana and even though it is smaller, I can tell the fronds are longer overall if both were about the same age.  I wish I had two of the same size to better compare.

Pembana.jpg

Lanceolata.jpg

Pembana 2.jpg

Lanceolata 2.jpg

Edited by EricSatBch

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, EricSatBch said:

Looks like a Dypsis Lanceolata to me.....I have Cabadae and Pembana as well.  Cabadae is easier for me to recognize....the Lanceolata and Pembana I have a tough time figuring out...plus info online seems to not be very consistent.  I uploaded 2 pics of what I think is my Lanceolata (the larger palm) ad 2 pics is a smaller Pembana.  They are definitely different palms.....the leaflets are much more narrow on the Pembana and even though it is smaller, I can tell the fronds are longer overall if both were about the same age.  I wish I had two of the same size to better compare.

Pembana.jpg

Pembana 2.jpg

The photos got kind of mixed up, but I'm pretty sure the two above are not Dypsis Pembana, maybe they are Cabadae?  Pembana's leaves are not that skinny or widely spaced.  Lanceolata and Pembana look very similar, except Lanceolata seems to have strongly recurved ends on the leaves.  Here's a Pembana photo from Palmbob on Palmpedia for reference:

Dypsis_pembanus_close.jpg.964293b596844711ee87bb8ccb897693.jpg

I have several Cabadae around my yard big and small....they are different than the photos I uploaded so whatever they are all 3 are different Dypsis.