IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentia Palm trouble

Mrt32

Hi guys,

Brand new to the forum. Hoping your collective wisdom can help me with my Kentia. 

It doesn’t appear to know if it’s living or dying. I’ve had three fronds dry out and die. Pictures attached. 

But yet I also have some new growth, and green leaves. How can my plant be both dying and growing at the same time??

Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

Thanks!

M

DDD244AB-CDAC-4604-A5C3-A3309A6C9857.jpeg

EE6B575E-C6F4-400A-85D3-287BBADEAF72.jpeg

3BA067BB-7649-4257-B298-E752E63992F7.jpeg

4D7AEE03-44B9-44DD-B279-1DAF4D958B21.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mrt32 said:

Hi guys,

Brand new to the forum. Hoping your collective wisdom can help me with my Kentia. 

It doesn’t appear to know if it’s living or dying. I’ve had three fronds dry out and die. Pictures attached. 

But yet I also have some new growth, and green leaves. How can my plant be both dying and growing at the same time??

Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

Thanks!

M

DDD244AB-CDAC-4604-A5C3-A3309A6C9857.jpeg

EE6B575E-C6F4-400A-85D3-287BBADEAF72.jpeg

3BA067BB-7649-4257-B298-E752E63992F7.jpeg

4D7AEE03-44B9-44DD-B279-1DAF4D958B21.jpeg

Fungus. Had same thing with my Kentia, but didn't know what was happening at the time. Repot it fast and apply some anti-fungal solution. Your pot does not seem to have holes at the bottom? Get some with holes and a saucer. Consider adding a rocky material to your soil mix.

Hi - does that pot have drainage?  My one was potted up slightly from its original pot as soon as I bought it with some houseplant/ perlite compost and has spent time outside the last two summers with regular feeds under a brightly lit gazebo and out of direct sun - always allowing the compost to dry out a bit before re-watering. It then thrives as an indoor plant during the winter months (with a grow lamp added)

Rainwater is definitely helpful if you can collect it outside  - the salts in tap-water for a lot of plants kept indoors can build up and cause problems for the roots and leaves. So another reason to re-pot and get rid of the soil that cannot leach the salts away if there is no/or insufficient drainage.

1 hour ago, Reynevan said:

Fungus. Had same thing with my Kentia, but didn't know what was happening at the time. Repot it fast and apply some anti-fungal solution. Your pot does not seem to have holes at the bottom? Get some with holes and a saucer. Consider adding a rocky material to your soil mix.

Oh dear. Sounds bad. The pot has drainage but it’s internal. There’s a sort of shelf on the inside. 

I presume all of the compost should just be thrown out and replaced? And should I disinfect the pot?

M

Don’t look good. That’s what every Kentia I Ever had and died looked like. I think it is a disease of some sort. I lost hundreds of them here in Florida until I gave up on them. Hopefully someone has better advice for you. 

David

I had 5 kentia in one pot about 5 years ago that I kept indoors cause it just wont take any direct sun out here. I have lost all but the main palm as of now of some kind of rot. I barely water the palm now as I didn't amend with anything special so definitely my fault. The palm looks real good now with deep green fronds, grows super slow tho which is ok with me =)

T J 

10 hours ago, Mrt32 said:

"How can my plant be both dying and growing at the same time?"

Mate, do you realize that you have a multi planted pot? The Howea (previously named Kentia) is often sold like that. It is a single trunked plant. They look good like that when they are all small. But that is how one can be growing and one dying at the same time.

Personally I would separate them into at least two pots now before it is too hard, and not have all of your eggs in one basket.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

i would repot into a better draining mix and i would thoroughly spray the palm with hydrogen peroxide, that may help kill anything infecting the palm. also i would water the palm with a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide