IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pull C Gigas, but what to Plant!

Briank

Ok so When I started my garden some 4 yrs ago,  I planted 2 15 C gigas cause I liked them.  Didn’t know much about them.   But I did plant them in smart places due to them Eventually Dying. 

I wish i could have planted 1 of them in back yard then this Post would be none existent. Lol 

They are growing Well and Fast.  Perfect for Large Gardens or Statement pcs.  But since I have planted Plenty.   I want to pull 1 of them if not both, but need to do it Soon before they get tooooo Big.  

The one I am referencing is in pics below.  Is in very Front of yard, and right at My gate.  Although we hardly use that gate.  It is kind of leaning as it grows, it’s Sturdy but I Don’t quit now what to plant in it’s place!!! 

I am kicking myself as a large Mule Palm came out at last Palm Mtg and really big, and I didnt Buy it!  I am thinking of finding one and Replacing that Gigas with That.  But I wanted other Opinions.  

Want something Grows moderately fast, is Showy as its right in the Front.  But let me list what I already have so we don’t go down that road.  And it’s got to fit with that Spot. 

Already have in Front yard: 

All Kings Except Tukeri

Royal palms 

Foxtails 

Bismarkia 

Livi Nitida 

FlameThrowers 

Rainbow Euc 

B. Alfredi 

P Martii 

The rest are small Palms

i am Looking To Plant something That I don’t already have that will Fit that Spot: 

Was Thinking Hybrids of something like a Mule, or A Jubea/Pindo Hybrid.   

I have a Tortallyii I planted in backyard that I wish I would have placed there but it’s getting to big to Dig up and move now. 

On another note,    The Last Pic is of a Foxtail I want to Dig up for long time, isn’t really doing so hot from Transplant Few yrs ago, and I got A couple ideas for the Spot but wanted others opinion on what to plant in its place.  Again I’m kicking myself for not buying that Mule.  

I am am in Clairemont close to mission bay San Diego, Can pretty much Plant anything Climate wise  

3BB404B3-79AA-4605-AA22-0967A1D92097.jpeg

4EA20859-658F-42B7-9BE2-BEC3F6F9B5E5.jpeg

5E440789-6B7F-40F4-9E86-12F1006A4657.jpeg

2E02914F-1C33-48ED-B728-BD9D0366703C.jpeg

• Like 1

Well if you want a mule palm bad enough still the Ventura Lowe’s store still has some.  Just a seven hour round trip drive or so. :mrlooney:

Last March they got in like six of them. I went ahead and bought two. One of them pictured below. None of the others have sold. I was just there today and they STILL have the four left. They are $199 each.

F4ACA4E8-829E-4915-B932-AFDAEABBD87C.thumb.jpeg.17e621ae5e3d4909c8955e293e7d886d.jpegWe

I note you are lacking Dypsis.... is that because you don't favor them? Dypsis leptocheilos might be good there. D. decipiens? D. prestoniana? D. orange crush? (why not challenge yourself?) Or to get a little more exotic,  Bentinckia condapanna? 

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

24 minutes ago, Kim said:

I note you are lacking Dypsis.... is that because you don't favor them? Dypsis leptocheilos might be good there. D. decipiens? D. prestoniana? D. orange crush? (why not challenge yourself?) Or to get a little more exotic,  Bentinckia condapanna? 

Lol....... was wondering when someone was gonna say something.  Even though I am young enough to wait for them to grow and enjoy them,  I tend to not want to wait 8-12 yrs to see a Decipiens or Majority of Dypsis to grow.  

Saying that I have a D Leptocheilos growing on Side yard where it’s out of sight out of mind.  Growing good.  I have a Bentickia Condompana growing in back yard that has grown about 3-4 new Leaves in 4 yrs.  about 3 ft tall now.   But I tend to want to see something that in visible sight to grow rather fast.   The only palm that I might consider for that spot that would be slow would be a Very Nice Pritchardia.  Which I might do.  

Im just not into Dypsis.  I have a Dypsis Marojejyi that I don’t know where to plant that is being considered.  Or traded for something Else.      When I got started 4-5 yrs ago I had no shade in yard to plant any of the Species.  Now I do, but not much room to plant.  Lol. 

81D327D2-50F2-4F0A-BD82-DFA6ABD43494.jpeg

57 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

Well if you want a mule palm bad enough still the Ventura Lowe’s store still has some.  Just a seven hour round trip drive or so. :mrlooney:

Last March they got in like six of them. I went ahead and bought two. One of them pictured below. None of the others have sold. I was just there today and they STILL have the four left. They are $199 each.

F4ACA4E8-829E-4915-B932-AFDAEABBD87C.thumb.jpeg.17e621ae5e3d4909c8955e293e7d886d.jpegWe

Wow.   I might have to do that.  Those are not sold down here at our box stores, which is weird cause I’m in the heart of all the growers.   I had chance to buy one that size for 1/3 of the cost and I brain farted at last palm mtg lol.    Good call.  

14 hours ago, Briank said:

Ok so When I started my garden some 4 yrs ago,  I planted 2 15 C gigas cause I liked them.  Didn’t know much about them.   But I did plant them in smart places due to them Eventually Dying. I wish i could have planted 1 of them in back yard then this Post would be none existent. Lol They are growing Well and Fast.  Perfect for Large Gardens or Statement pcs.  But since I have planted Plenty.   I want to pull 1 of them if not both, but need to do it Soon before they get tooooo Big.  

The one I am referencing is in pics below.  Is in very Front of yard, and right at My gate.  Although we hardly use that gate.  It is kind of leaning as it grows, it’s Sturdy but I Don’t quit now what to plant in it’s place!!! I am kicking myself as a large Mule Palm came out at last Palm Mtg and really big, and I didnt Buy it!  I am thinking of finding one and Replacing that Gigas with That.  But I wanted other Opinions.  Want something Grows moderately fast, is Showy as its right in the Front.  But let me list what I already have so we don’t go down that road.  And it’s got to fit with that Spot.

i am Looking To Plant something That I don’t already have that will Fit that Spot: 

Was Thinking Hybrids of something like a Mule, or A Jubea/Pindo Hybrid.   I have a Tortallyii I planted in backyard that I wish I would have placed there but it’s getting to big to Dig up and move now.

I guess it depends on what crown diameter and trunk diameter you can tolerate, and at what height.  Something like a Jubaea/Butia hybrid in that spot is going to be short and very large diameter (5-15') for many years, and would totally block the pathway.  Later they'll get 15-20' long fronds.  I can't see that as an improvement over a Gigas.  The existing C. Gigas will probably be up and overhead next summer.  A Mule the size of the other photos will probably take 2 years to get to the size of the existing Gigas, where it's close to being overhead. 

So I guess the biggest question is, do you want something that doesn't block the path, the gate or the sidewalk?  If so, then something that gets tall fast but isn't too large diameter would work well, like a Dypsis Pembana cluster or similar.  Do you want something unique and huge, and you don't mind losing the pathway for several years?  Then maybe one of Patric's Butia x Parajubaea hybrids could be pretty impressive there.  All of those big ones are kind of "Statement" pieces, which sounds like what you are trying to avoid?

I think Brian wants a statement piece, without the fact its gonna die and destroy stuff below haha. I personally would get as much out of that Gigas as I could, then pony up the dollars to remove it later =) I do agree with @Merlyn2220 any of the Patric hybrids would be a winner.

T J 

2 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

If so, then something that gets tall fast but isn't too large diameter would work well, like a Dypsis Pembana cluster or similar.

Since you have mentioned you don't have much patience for some of the larger Dypsis, if you got a 15 gallon Dypsis pembana you wouldn't have to wait 10-12 years as they are fast.  Some pembana's will have vigorous offshoots while others will remain solo, so if you wanted solo, I would get the biggest solo one you can find and hope that it remains that way.   If you can find Dypsis heteromorpha its also a pretty fast growing clumping species which I find to be one of the most attractive we can grow with it's brown fuzz and deep green leaflets.  If you get a nice 15 gallon Dypsis leptocheilos they are extremely quick growers and you will have trunk within 3-4 years and be far more novel in that spot than a mule.

Other alternatives if you want to go very vertical would be Kentiopsis oliviformis (slow until it's near trunking then significant acceleration) or Ravenea juliettiae.  The juliettiae retains that extreme vertical look for quite a while with successive fronds about 1/3 longer than the previous ones, so a very small footprint and beautiful deep green glossy leaflets.

Kentiopsis oliviformis, Dypsis heteromorpha and Ravenea juliettiae pictured below.

20190802-104A4401.jpg

20190619-104A4004.jpg

20190722-104A4248.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

You could try an Arenga species, in the front.  There are a variety of types that grow here.  Of note, Arenga are also monocarpic, so larger Arengas may present issues with removal.  Engleri is a great Arenga, that you can trim as you wish.  I’m also growing a A. Tremula (2 years from seed), that is doing well.  Some may be too tropical.

I initially thought of planting Caryota gigas (obtusa), but decided against them, primarily due to difficulty in removing and liability from one tipping over.  Personally, id replace it with something else.  

Edited by The Steve

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I think Brian wants a statement piece, without the fact its gonna die and destroy stuff below haha. I personally would get as much out of that Gigas as I could, then pony up the dollars to remove it later =) I do agree with @Merlyn2220 any of the Patric hybrids would be a winner.

I love the Gigas palm I do.  But I have one maybe 25’ away from it. And when they get big they will touch, and Imagine a Fill grown Bizzy in Between lol  I think now is best time to cut it down I really do.  It pains me wish I wound have planted in backyard. 

I don’t know Patric or where to get his Hybrids but I have heard of them.  I think that would be perfect option too.  Not ruling out a Cluster Pembana. But I really want something that has Wow Factor. As people walk right by there. 

So so many options.  A Double or Triple palm of sorts would look good.  If I could find Triple Purpea I’d do that too. 

So a nice stately palm in between a Gigas and a Bizzie hmm what about a terra carpa king palm from Jungle Music ? Supposedly the faster , largest growing King plus no brown tipping per @Phil in SoCal.

T J 

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Since you have mentioned you don't have much patience for some of the larger Dypsis, if you got a 15 gallon Dypsis pembana you wouldn't have to wait 10-12 years as they are fast.  Some pembana's will have vigorous offshoots while others will remain solo, so if you wanted solo, I would get the biggest solo one you can find and hope that it remains that way.   If you can find Dypsis heteromorpha its also a pretty fast growing clumping species which I find to be one of the most attractive we can grow with it's brown fuzz and deep green leaflets.  If you get a nice 15 gallon Dypsis leptocheilos they are extremely quick growers and you will have trunk within 3-4 years and be far more novel in that spot than a mule.

Other alternatives if you want to go very vertical would be Kentiopsis oliviformis (slow until it's near trunking then significant acceleration) or Ravenea juliettiae.  The juliettiae retains that extreme vertical look for quite a while with successive fronds about 1/3 longer than the previous ones, so a very small footprint and beautiful deep green glossy leaflets.

Kentiopsis oliviformis, Dypsis heteromorpha and Ravenea juliettiae pictured below.

20190802-104A4401.jpg

20190619-104A4004.jpg

20190722-104A4248.jpg

Thanks for your Suggestions.  I will look into.    I have not seen any of our SD growers with Dypsis at 15ga size.  They’d probably be super expenses but I’ll keep an eye out.     I have Pembana and Leptocheilos in back yard 3-4 yrs in ground maybe couple feet high.  Not ruling out in front yard. 

I have a Chambeyronua Houleau with about 4-5 fronds maybe 7-10 ga size that I’m tempted to put there too. 

1 minute ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So a nice stately palm in between a Gigas and a Bizzie hmm what about a terra carpa king palm from Jungle Music ? Supposedly the faster , largest growing King plus no brown tipping per @Phil in SoCal.

I love that Palm I have 3 or 4 of them and have 2 more still in pots Tempted to do that one as well !!!  It’s great Species !!! I planted all of the Kings in Front yard.  Only one I don’t have is Tukeri which I will get soon 

Imagine a Gigas popping into the Sky to left of the Rainbow Euc and Pink Cedar.  Haha if people want to see how you can transform a small Property they should come check it out.  Jungle is my theme.  Over plant then pull.  That’s 3 yrs of growth, everything was below fence 3 yrs ago haha 

006B4DBF-6EE8-4F69-8EF2-7C9E4E750556.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, Briank said:

I love that Palm I have 3 or 4 of them and have 2 more still in pots Tempted to do that one as well !!!  It’s great Species !!! I planted all of the Kings in Front yard.  Only one I don’t have is Tukeri which I will get soon 

That's right you said that lol back to the drawing board =) I would say an Attalea Cohune or a Corypha but they are also monocarpic but heard you get a lot ,ore years out of them before flowering but maybe too tropical tho

T J 

2 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That's right you said that lol back to the drawing board =) I would say an Attalea Cohune or a Corypha but they are also monocarpic but heard you get a lot ,ore years out of them before flowering but maybe too tropical tho

I planted a Corypha utan in back. All cause of that Damn Gigas haha should have pulled it then and planted that ! I’ve thought of a Raphia F too haha 

55 minutes ago, Briank said:

I planted a Corypha utan in back. All cause of that Damn Gigas haha should have pulled it then and planted that ! I’ve thought of a Raphia F too haha 

Well you definitely got plenty of big stately palms going haha Look up Patric hybrids in the search here. Unfortunately there all just seedlings but say a JxS would be a statement palm in a few years. BxPJ would also be an awesome palm !!

T J 

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Well you definitely got plenty of big stately palms going haha Look up Patric hybrids in the search here. Unfortunately there all just seedlings but say a JxS would be a statement palm in a few years. BxPJ would also be an awesome palm !!

Thanks I will Check it out...  I'm Probably gonna Dig that SomBitch up this winter, then Wait till Spring to Plant something... So I got some time to Figure it out... But one of those Hyrbids Can Grow in Back yard where im gonna pull that Foxtail Out.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to throw that C. Houailou in that spot if you don't have one already planted.  IMO It is one of the better looking palms anywhere and would be a perfect size for that location when mature.  They aren't the fastest palm around, but they are hard to beat when mature.   Take a look on this forum for BS Mans front yard shots with the Houailou front and center.  Killer palm.

I agree with the idea to plant your Chambeyronia Houailou in that spot. While it’s always fun to go palm shopping it’s also nice to work with material that you already have. 

I also think Tracy’s idea of Kentiopsis oliviformis.  In my opinion they are one of the best Palms for Southern California and should be in every garden that has a tropical theme. 

By the way, great looking garden and the pictures that show the growth in just a few years are always nice to see! 

Also, you mentioned the idea of a triple archontophoenix purpuraea.  I don’t know if Rancho Soledad still has them, but years back they did as I bought some there.  Not a bad price either. Something to look into. 

20 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

I agree with the idea to plant your Chambeyronia Houailou in that spot.

Agree that this would be by far the most striking entryway piece.   The only downside relative to your criteria is that it will be slow and as a consequence you will have some fronds blocking your entryway for a long time before it gets overhead.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:35 PM, Briank said:

I tend to want to see something that in visible sight to grow rather fast

I did think of another readily available Dypsis which is probably one of the fastest of the solitary species here in the San Diego area and that is Dypsis decaryi.  I reluctantly planted a small one my wife picked up at an auction.  I put it right up front, by my mailbox and front entryway.  Fast-forward 3 years and I really appreciate the look of it!  You can also orient them such that you don't have any fronds hanging over your walkway because of it's triangular growth pattern.  While they aren't the most uncommon palm, they are fast and would give some nice color contrast with the grey/green leaflets offsetting with all your other greener colored plants.  Again, Imo the decaryi is a much more appealing entryway look than a mule if your desire for speedy growth outweighs your desire for an attractive but much slower palm (Chambeyronia houailou).

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Lots of good ideas you’re getting.

Since you mentioned you would like to see something grow up pretty quickly I would throw a vote out for a Foxy Lady if you can get your hands on one. IMO they are very attractive palms and they are definitely fast.

2 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Lots of good ideas you’re getting.

Since you mentioned you would like to see something grow up pretty quickly I would throw a vote out for a Foxy Lady if you can get your hands on one. IMO they are very attractive palms and they are definitely fast.

Thanks.   I’ve tried in the past, but to no luck getting one.  I also have like 5 foxtail palms in front yard, so bit overkill in them.  But I love that palm. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyt said:

@Briank whatever you decide in the long run.  You have a very awesome Palm forest!

jimmyt

Thanks.  It is taking Shape Nicely and Fast lol.   Time to just shift somethings,  find space for smaller things and pull others.  Always a work in progress.   Can’t believe how fast everything grew 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Briank said:

Saw A Syragus x Jubea Today.   Love at First site.  Got me Thinking of planting That in the Gigas Spot!  Hmmmmmm 

Very beautiful palm have you seen the threads on the opposite hybrid JxS ? I believe either way you cant find any with size for sale tho. Not sure which one is faster as this palm i bet is pretty old. 

T J 

That pic above is Gary Lavine's JXS.  One of the first of Patric's JxS crosses. 

IIRC Patric has done the SxJ and he said it was a dud. @Ben in Norcal wold probably be the expert on that, as I think he is the ones that mentioned it was. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

My suggestion is a foxy lady.

Fast and look very different from your foxtails.

Rancho Soledad had some last year, although they were on the large size.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:36 PM, Briank said:

Wow.   I might have to do that.  Those are not sold down here at our box stores, which is weird cause I’m in the heart of all the growers.   I had chance to buy one that size for 1/3 of the cost and I brain farted at last palm mtg lol.    Good call.  

They’re at the Encinitas and poway HD for the same price. Saw a few Friday there. If you want stagers hybrid I’ll say my “coco queen” has grown faster than my mule. What about veitchia? They grow pretty quick and look great. Hyphorbe indica red form has been fairly fast for me and gives a nice pop of color. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

1 hour ago, Stevetoad said:

They’re at the Encinitas and poway HD for the same price. Saw a few Friday there. If you want stagers hybrid I’ll say my “coco queen” has grown faster than my mule. What about veitchia? They grow pretty quick and look great. Hyphorbe indica red form has been fairly fast for me and gives a nice pop of color. 

I have a CocoQueen, and for some Reason it’s one of my Slowest Palms.  I don’t know if it’s just where I planted it, or what but had it 3 yrs hasn’t done much.   I like the Palm and what it can become, maybe I should try another one somewhere else in my yard. 

Brian 

2 hours ago, RJ said:

That pic above is Gary Lavine's JXS.  One of the first of Patric's JxS crosses. 

IIRC Patric has done the SxJ and he said it was a dud. @Ben in Norcal wold probably be the expert on that, as I think he is the ones that mentioned it was. 

Yeah I think for typing purposes I just typed it backwards lol.   It’s JubeaxSyragus. 

Maybe I can find one soon.   I sent Ben an email a while ago nothing back yet.  

19 minutes ago, Briank said:

I have a CocoQueen, and for some Reason it’s one of my Slowest Palms.  I don’t know if it’s just where I planted it, or what but had it 3 yrs hasn’t done much.   I like the Palm and what it can become, maybe I should try another one somewhere else in my yard. 

Brian 

Ether that’s normal and mines a freak or vice versa. Here’s mine. I planed it as a 15 gal in fall of 2015. 

547F0AFC-3DF2-4C67-A05F-61AD680DF5D2.jpeg

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

25 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Ether that’s normal and mines a freak or vice versa. Here’s mine. I planed it as a 15 gal in fall of 2015. 

547F0AFC-3DF2-4C67-A05F-61AD680DF5D2.jpeg

15ga as well planted maybe 2-3 yrs ago.   2 long spears coming but not much movement 

1FD1A568-72C9-4090-90CE-59842ED13088.jpeg

1 hour ago, Briank said:

Yeah I think for typing purposes I just typed it backwards lol.   It’s JubeaxSyragus. 

Maybe I can find one soon.   I sent Ben an email a while ago nothing back yet.  

Patric is the only person to produce that cross to my knowledge. It's spendy just be for warned ....

• Like 1

I got a couple coconut queens from @Phil Jungle Music as 15g palms and absolutely beautiful. Extremely good growers and super cold hardy. They flew threw 24° freezing rain with no damage but didnt make the 20° freezing rain the next year im still bummed about losing them =( 

• Like 1

T J