IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis decipiens Modesto-Bye Bye

JEFF IN MODESTO

Bye bye dyppy!

2ABB2575-403F-4CF4-AAAE-244E79DB58AB.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Talk about instant gratification!. I love when a palmy plan comes together.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

From the area code on the truck, it's headed up to Northern California

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Gary Gragg was the only person with a serious interest in moving it. Gary is transplanting it to his home in williams Ca, north of sacramento .

Edited by JEFF IN MODESTO

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

Where is it going?

north of sacramento

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Jeff...You must be bummed.  Glad Gary is going to give it a home in Northern California.  That's gotta be a record for farthest North for a Dypsis.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Thankfully it found a home and was spared from the chainsaw. I agree, instant landscape.

Jeff, it's been interesting, over the years, watching this palm's progress. Thanks!

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tricky time of year for a transplant like that.

Please give us an update when winter is over.

Wishing them Good Luck.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

3 hours ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

Gary Gragg was the only person with a serious interest in moving it. Gary is transplanting it to his home in williams Ca, north of sacramento .

Gary's place is in Winters, which is plenty hot in summer and somewhat drier in winter than Sacramento and maybe even Modesto.

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

13 hours ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

Bye bye dyppy!

2ABB2575-403F-4CF4-AAAE-244E79DB58AB.jpeg

Why on earth would you get rid of a Palm like that ?

I've admired that stunning palm vicariously for years. I hope it does well in its new home.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Jeff, what's the story on your famous Dypsis? If I remember from an earlier post, you're moving and couldn't take the Palm to your new place right? Gary is lucky to get the decipiens. I'm sure he knows he's lucky as well. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 10/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, Dypsisdean said:

Tricky time of year for a transplant like that.

Please give us an update when winter is over.

Wishing them Good Luck.

Ive found that late sept to early oct to be best time to plant things here.  In spring our soil tends to be chilly, summer the air temps too hot and winter too cold. In the fall, the hottest summer temps are gone , our soil temps average 70f and air temps are around 80f. Last year I planted a mango in Oct and it never skipped a beat.

• Upvote 2

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

7 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Jeff, what's the story on your famous Dypsis? If I remember from an earlier post, you're moving and couldn't take the Palm to your new place right? Gary is lucky to get the decipiens. I'm sure he knows he's lucky as well. 

Yea we plan on putting house on market next spring. The palm was touching rain gutter and realtor said any potential buyer would look at this as a liability. Gary did a good job of removing it...all by himself!

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

On 10/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, JasonD said:

Gary's place is in Winters, which is plenty hot in summer and somewhat drier in winter than Sacramento and maybe even Modesto.

Id say winters gets almost twice the rain as modesto. Temps are about the same.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

4 hours ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

Ive found that late sept to early oct to be best time to plant things here.  In spring our soil tends to be chilly, summer the air temps too hot and winter too cold. In the fall, the hottest summer temps are gone , our soil temps average 70f and air temps are around 80f. Last year I planted a mango in Oct and it never skipped a beat.

The reason I made my comment was that I have always transplanted palms in mid-spring when the palm can begin to experience slowly increasing temperatures and lengthening days for as many months in a row as possible - as a signal that it is time to "wake up" and get growing. Several months of decreasing temps and shortening days IMO are a signal for palms to slow down or even stop growing - not something I want to encourage a newly transplanted palm to do - again only my opinion.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I hope it lives. 

I wish I transplanted my much smaller one from my old place to my new. Instead I decided to leave it. I went past my old place on the weekend and it was gone. It was in the middle of my front lawn and they put new lawn in and removed it. 

You can never tell the future or what new owners would do to your prize collection of rare things.

At least this decipiens has a chance at survival. It likely would have been chopped down if left in the ground.

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks  for sharing this palms growth  rate with us over the years. Good call on moving it forward into good  hands. Good luck on your move. Cheers 

@JEFF IN MODESTO rock on!

Wow.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've been watching most of Gary Gragg's videos on youtube for some time. Live on almost identical latitude so anything I see him feature, good chance can grow it here.

Edited by cbmnz

Great that it was saved, Ive followed Jeffs palm for many years, it is instant stunning landscape.  That palm must be almost 20 years old, some palms take longer but are all the more impressive, this is one of them.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank