IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oregon grown Butia eriospatha

Chester B

I thought I'd start a progress thread on the second Butia in my garden.  This time I purchased a Butia eriospatha that was grown from seed here in Oregon.  I picked the bluest one out of a few dozen specimens and planted it on August 12, 2019.  It is much bluer in appearence than my Butia odorata so I hope it retains this color.

1914999334_Butiaeriospatha0.thumb.jpg.4303bf316bf7ed140a207aeffac5e442.jpg

6 weeks later and this palm has surprised me.  It's put out two fronds so far - I guess it was desperate to get out of the pot.

1921123381_Butiaeriospatha3.thumb.jpg.f628c17d0fac946389aee0c840cd44a3.jpg1058668156_Butiaeriospatha1.thumb.jpg.db18861047c6829fd6009e9e17bad507.jpg

• Like 8

At the same time I planted a Cycas panzhihuaensis. This is my first cycad and hopefully the start of more. C revoluta is iffy here but I will plant one out next year in a sheltered spot. 

1D9FAB24-E5F9-480D-9254-ED42F32EC908.jpeg

• Like 3

Wanted to include a nice shot showing some of the beauty in Oregon. This is Detroit lake which I believe is the main reservoir for the state capital of Salem.   It's hard to believe we can grow palms here.

96853C3C-3C27-4987-BAA3-5A79A15B4A7D.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 6

You need to build the soil up around the caudex of that panzh with mulch or something before winter hits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

You need to build the soil up around the caudex of that panzh with mulch or something before winter hits.

Thanks for the tip, appreciate it.  My first time growing a cycad, I wanted to make sure it wasn't too deep.  I'm told that this is completely hardy here, this was grown locally. 

Do you think your Cycas Revoluta x Debaoensis hybrid would do well in my climate with winter mulching?

Revoluta x debaoensis, taitungensis x Panzhihuensis and straight taitungensis would do great, but panzh x debao would be better than the revoluta cross IMO.  We have all of them.,

Yes I have looked at those.  Will you have some available in the spring, or is your current inventory what you'll have going forward.  I can get taitungensis here, but your hybrids look pretty appealing.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, Chester B said:

I thought I'd start a progress thread on the second Butia in my garden.  This time I purchased a Butia eriospatha that was grown from seed here in Oregon.  I picked the bluest one out of a few dozen specimens and planted it on August 12, 2019.  It is much bluer in appearence than my Butia odorata so I hope it retains this color.

1914999334_Butiaeriospatha0.thumb.jpg.4303bf316bf7ed140a207aeffac5e442.jpg

6 weeks later and this palm has surprised me.  It's put out two fronds so far - I guess it was desperate to get out of the pot.

1921123381_Butiaeriospatha3.thumb.jpg.f628c17d0fac946389aee0c840cd44a3.jpg1058668156_Butiaeriospatha1.thumb.jpg.db18861047c6829fd6009e9e17bad507.jpg

Do you have contact info for the supplier?

wow the butia is looking really good. keep me posted on how it is doing and also keep me posted on the cycads. from the sources i found. cycas revoluta can take it down to 0 degrees and may be defoliated but will grow a new set of leaves the next spring. it has been cold so far this fall. the coldest i have seen it. last year at this time it was in the high 50s at night.

Beautiful! Blue palms are the coolest looking IMHO.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto