Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Albey

Dypsis Decipiens update - Christchurch N.Z

Recommended Posts

Albey

Hi there

Just an update for everyone on how my Dypsis decipiens is growing in frosty Christchurch New Zealand.

It has now been planted out for 7.5-years and has tripled in size since i planted it ( It never gets any protection )

 

 

Dypsis_Decipiens_-_May_2019.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marius

That is a magnificent palm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Albey

Thanks Marius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yeye

Congrats Rod!

Definitively a 'must' and also a challenge  for the temperate climate!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

What low temperatures has it been exposed to? I picked up 10 seedlings for cheap and plan on testing them in phases. General consensus is they don’t handle below 25*F(-4*C).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Albey
1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

What low temperatures has it been exposed to? I picked up 10 seedlings for cheap and plan on testing them in phases. General consensus is they don’t handle below 25*F(-4*C).

Hi Meangreen94z - Mine has taken 23.5°F(-4.7°C) - With only bronzing to the outer most leaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Albey
7 hours ago, yeye said:

Congrats Rod!

Definitively a 'must' and also a challenge  for the temperate climate!!

 

Thanks yeye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

Pretty impressive for a city at 43.5*S and one that gets an occasional snowfall in winter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Albey
11 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Pretty impressive for a city at 43.5*S and one that gets an occasional snowfall in winter...

Thanks greysrigging - I am wondering whether i am the furthest away from the equator that is growing this species successfully ? - Any takers ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

I'm at 45.4 and usually bottom out around 25F a couple nights a year.  Got me thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Albey
1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I'm at 45.4 and usually bottom out around 25F a couple nights a year.  Got me thinking...

Hi Chester - You got a Decipiens at 45.4° - Lets see please and how long has it been in the ground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
1 hour ago, Albey said:

Hi Chester - You got a Decipiens at 45.4° - Lets see please and how long has it been in the ground?

No I don't but I have a real nice SW microclimate bordered on two sides by my house that may be worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Albey
10 hours ago, Chester B said:

No I don't but I have a real nice SW microclimate bordered on two sides by my house that may be worth a try.

Yeah give it a go and try one :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×