IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia robusta installment - Utah

RyManUtah

For anyone who doesn’t like robusta, here is a surprisingly tall Phoenix dactylifera for St George. 

My favorite “lit up” palm trees. 

93160DD9-40F7-42A4-A46B-1182E8271E3E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Nice..  although they look like hybrids to me..

Good eye. They look filibusta to me.

I had 5. Wide trunk base, tapers down gradually, not much, to the crown.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Good eye. They look filibusta to me.

I had 5. Wide trunk base, tapers down gradually, not much, to the crown.

These are the largest hybrids that i know of in Albuquerque..and they show the characteristics you mention. I think the owner is actually fertilizing them which is good, They appear to be growing better.  I wish my climate was more like St. George.. Looks like a great area to grow palms!

20190912_132705.jpg

20190929_211520.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I was thinking that myself.  A lot of robustas croaked last winter. Hybrid would make sense. :lol:

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

I wish my climate was more like St. George.. Looks like a great area to grow palms!

Aren’t you some 8?

Most of the time, it is. They say we are 8b, some winters I really question that though:violin:

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

These are the largest hybrids that i know of in Albuquerque..and they show the characteristics you mention. I think the owner is actually fertilizing them which is good, They appear to be growing better.  I wish my climate was more like St. George.. Looks like a great area to grow palms!

20190912_132705.jpg

20190929_211520.jpg

I like the looks of this, looks freshly de-booted. Always afraid to do that in fear of losing cold hardiness. You can see the dominant taper on the smooth trunk very nicely. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, Ryagra said:

For anyone who doesn’t like robusta, here is a surprisingly tall Phoenix dactylifera for St George. 

I love the look of up-lit palms, especially dactylifera. The column-like trunks and texture look really cool at night.

Edited by pin38
adding content
  • Like 1

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

On 9/30/2019 at 12:53 AM, Ryagra said:

I like the looks of this, looks freshly de-booted. Always afraid to do that in fear of losing cold hardiness.

Does that significantly affect their hardiness? I'm going to stop cleaning mine if that's the case. 

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Does that significantly affect their hardiness?

Not sure how significantly it affects their bud hardiness but I've been told that it does affect it some.  Probably depends on the height of the palm and how far up the trunk that you clean.  Obviously it's not going to reduce the leaf damage from the cold.  I prefer the clean trunk look, but for younger palms I'd always trim the leaf boot as close to the trunk as I could to still maintain a smoother look and the reddish leaf base color of robusta/filibusta looked nice as well.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 9/29/2019 at 9:47 PM, Ryagra said:

I was thinking that myself.  A lot of robustas croaked last winter. Hybrid would make sense. :lol:

Yeah...  I think they are..  technically that would be robustifera..   Robusta may survive here for a few years but the hybrid does much much better.  Robusta is marginal and some died last year even though they grew to 15-20 feet tall

On 9/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, Ryagra said:

Aren’t you some 8?

Most of the time, it is. They say we are 8b, some winters I really question that though:violin:

Yeah mostly Zone 8.. but last year we got down to 8-9f..  Id agree with your 8b zone.  We are high desert so once the sun sets the temp plummets. That limits what we could grow.  Not palmy like St. George tho!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2019 at 12:53 AM, RyManUtah said:

Where is that located?

Nothing to say here. 

My in-laws have a house in St George, and we have several palm species growing.

We have 3 large washingtonia filiferas

1 large pindo

several trachys

2 meds and a canary.

All survived the great 2 week freeze of December 2013 where over a foot of snow fell, and temperature were single digits most nights

and it never got above freezing.

• Like 1