IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sansevierias / Snake Plants

The Silent Seed

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Erik, how you doing?

Do you happen to have a picture? Maybe I could help identify them for you? PM me if you prefer. Thank you!

I spent several days digging up thousands  of them  with a pick axe.  I don’t recommend having this plant.  There is nothing that kills them. You can pour gasoline on them and it will hurt them. If you insist, they are easily found at Home Depot.  

• Like 1

Ya they're tough. Flood or drought and they don't care. Pot too small?? They'll just split it open for more room.

I grow a couple different colors here and am careful where I plant them. Good potted plant up North though.

Not a TA,

Any interest in trading if some of yours are ones I don't have yet?

Yes, they are hardy, and do great in pots.

Sure although I think the ones I have are very common and you probably already have them. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post here.

Thank you Eric!

Those are not the typical ones - may I use your photograph on another website to ask for an identification?

I am guessing this is Sansevieria guineensis, or S. aubrytiana. (PM me if preferred.)

Here's the ones I have. No idea on name, never tried to figure them out. I get starters for all kinds of plants from landscape maintenance people living here in my neighborhood who are throwing stuff out or just dump it in my yard if it looks like something they think I might want.  They know if I don't want something I'll just put it out for the bulk pickup but appreciate their effort to save something for me.

20191010_133424_zpswjnsjwii.jpg

Not a TA,

Thank you very much for posting the pictures - that's a great line of work to be in - where you get free plants! Your yard is beautiful - love that Bamboo!

Those are nice Sansevierias as well - both of which I do have - but for your information; the one on the left is S. trifasciata Laurentii, and the other is S. trifasciata "Zeylanica."

I figured you probably had them. I had Laurenti as a potted plant long ago in CT. and we grew them in one of the greenhouses at the Vo-Ag high school I went to. We just referred to it as Sansevieria as though there was only one type haha.

I'm currently re landscaping the entire yard. A year ago the Dypsis Lutescens were the only plants left in the back yard (in ground) not even any grass ahaha. There was bare dirt, some weeds, and sections of container ranches.  Planted sprigs to start new lawn, gonna take a while to rid of weeds and fill in. I'd cut down all the overgrown tall palms Avacado, Almond, Mangoes etc to start from scratch. The row of potted Cocos and other plants are sitting on boards I'm using to kill the lawn where a planter bed will be.  The bed's half done but the half that's planted is to the right of what can be seen in the pic. I thought about starting a thread about the landscaping but I don't have all the cool rare palms collectors here like , just common (for this area) palms and other plants I mostly grow from seed or propagation.

My neighbors know I grow a lot of plants and give a lot out to other neighbors plus use them for public landscaping I do in the area. So they'll literally just dump stuff in my front yard if they think I might want it. Bare root Palms, Croton clippings, Aloes, Dracaena, Bougainvillea, Plumeria branches, fruit trees, etc, etc.

Hey

I totally funked on the Bamboo - just noticed the leaves - silly me! But dang, those look awesome.

I'd be curious to hear your opinion on a New Englander moving to Florida sometime if you do end up starting a new thread about this project. I think some of us, myself included, would really enjoy that - since not everybody is an elitist with the latest fancy palms.

I love seeing all the beautiful gardens with rare exotic palms and other plants on this forum. However due to life circumstances I'll probably never be able to spend any money on plants again. If I could, I would have been at Searles sale last weekend and the Palm Beach Palm society sale this weekend picking up some fancy mature plants so I could enjoy them sooner. Since I have no extra money to spend I propagate and plant seeds and have fun that way. I've got thousands of plants growing and less than $100.00 total invested over 10+ years. I suppose I could start a thread "Subtropical landscaping for cheap"

I see you're in MA. I lived in Amherst several years while getting degrees at UMASS and lived in Brockton with my first wife.

I don't mean to belittle anyone else by the following comment; but I'm right with you on the growing many plants ourselves without spending hundreds, or thousands, of dollars. Having a business, I do need to invest in plants, but we don't need a lot of money to have a diverse, exciting collection. And, it's fun, and satisfying growing from seeds as well. Love Amherst - was actually just there last week checking out a couple of new plant shops I hadn't known about before. I'm in Newburyport. Along the lines of not having much money - we found one of the very last untouched houses 20 years ago, and got it really cheap - and have been lovingly restoring it ever since. Although there are no in-ground palms up here, I'm thinking of trying it next year since we have changed from a zone 5b to a zone 6a a couple of years ago. 

Edited by The Silent Seed

Nope. I have only Sabal causairum, mauritiformis, and one Lisa seedling - no minor, and no needles. I only just found out that those two might have a fighting chance, a few months ago when the guy posted about some in Kansas, which turns out to be "the same" zone. 

That reminds me - a friend of mine did have a Windmill Palm for two winters here - but it croaked the second winter. (The fact it survived one is also impressive I think, since it was zone 5b at the time.)

I'll have to get a few of these guys started if I want to try some next year.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:47 PM, The Silent Seed said:

Thank you Eric!

Those are not the typical ones - may I use your photograph on another website to ask for an identification?

I am guessing this is Sansevieria guineensis, or S. aubrytiana. (PM me if preferred.)

Yes sir. You may.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:24 AM, The Silent Seed said:

Erik, it seems like these are Sansevieria hyacinthoides. 

Ok. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I just have these two, growing on my balcony in the bay area. The bigger one flowered last year which was pretty awesome.

Just realized I did not take off the price tag off of the small one! Oh well...

image.png.e6c76586694d2dbc363dd1860746231f.png

Edited by Ittai Baratz