Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seedlings

PalmatierMeg

I have a group of 12 seedlings from this rare, endangered blue Sabal minor from Emerald Isle, NC. Refer to topic below for info about this Sabal variety:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/&tab=comments#comment-868587

Seedlings for sale were germinated from the last of the 2018 crop of seeds and are the only ones I have. I haven't harvested and tested this year's crop yet. If you collect varieties of Sabal minor don't let this beautiful palm get away.

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seedlings: 12 = $20.00 for the lot.

Shipping = $10.00  Seedlings will be sent without pots and soil with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil

Total - $30.00

Payment via Paypal

No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI. PM me if you are interested

Photos

Sabal_Emerald_Isle_Gt_x12_01_09-26-19.thumb.JPG.79acda2b89744a30baf0fd2aca810186.JPGSabal_Emerald_Isle_Gt_x12_02_09-26-19.thumb.JPG.1917676db7d6d4a9ec8de4349ff2e16f.JPGSabal_Emerald_Isle_Gt_x12_03_09-26-19.thumb.JPG.80f97939f376e1cee6d82b15cc205774.JPGSabal_Emerald_Isle_x12_04_09-26-19.thumb.JPG.abcd30b8356c3c60555428685acbc9c2.JPG

Mother palm

Sabal_minor_Emerald_Isle_Giant_01_10-11-18.thumb.jpg.b734241a00e519099ed81b38122323b4.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Brad Mondel
      By Brad Mondel
      After all of these years I finally got to buy a house with over half an acre and now almost all of the palms are planted.
      I am in zone 8a South Carolina above the fall line!
      It is a work in progress so don't judge.

• Tennessee Palms
      By Tennessee Palms
      A couple days ago I noticed the leaf on my Sabal Minor seedling has been taking off. To me it seemed like it grew about half an inch or so however when I looked back at a Facebook post from November I realized how much it has grown and I'm surprised to see that it slowly pushed out way more than I thought.  The picture of it sitting in water is the November picture and the other one is from a few days ago. 

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      For my next post, I want to highlight some of the palms that I've come across in the Cincinnati suburbs outside of the ones in my yard. The first picture is of a windmill palm (trachycapus fortunei) on the eastern side of town. According to the grower, this specimen has endured three winters in the ground with minimal protective measures. His protection for this palm is only a heating cable around the trunk and a frost cloth. This picture was taken in late spring, 2019. It had completely defoliated during January,2019 when temps did drop below zero. The palm started to rebound very quickly. The second picture is the same palm this spring shared to me by the grower with the heating cable still on the trunk and a fully recovered crown.

The next several pictures are from a grower just a stones' throw away from me in the northern Cincinnati suburbs. This grower has some truly wonderful exotics that most nursery staff would say are a waste of time and money in his yard that have proven to be as reliable as tulips simply from protection for wind, placing in the sunniest spots, and extra mulch. The first of these pictures from his yard is a rare true trachycarpus takil that he raised for seed. It has also been in the ground for three years and is only protected by being covered with a mound of straw, no added heat. The other pictures are winter time pictures of his needle palm and sabal minor, He unlike me, does take some protective measures. His protective measures are just covering the trunk of the plant with straw while leaving all leaves exposed. these needle palms and sabal minor have been in the ground since 2006 and laughed off the vortex years.

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      In my previous post, I shared some pictures of some established needle palms that were planted at a Cincinnati restaurant in about 2009 that never get any special protection of any kind. Here are some pictures that were taken by another local palm enthusiast and shared with me. These pics show the needle palms during the freeze of January, 2019.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Several days ago I received a request for an update on our world famous Sabal Row. But first, some background. I joined PalmTalk and IPS in Jan. 2008 and soon decided I wanted to germinate palm seeds. I chose (and recommend) the Sabal genus for beginning palm growers. Sabal palmetto is FL's State Tree and ubiquitous and I managed to beg, buy and barter Sabals domingensis and maritima. From early 2008 into 2009 I germinated a slew of seedlings. A quick tangent: In 2003 during the housing bubble, some HGTV rejects decided to build a spec home four lots east of our little cottage. Then that spec home bounced through a series of flippers, sustained roof damage in Hurricane Charley and thereafter sat empty and abandoned year after year until well into the housing bust. I looked across the vacant lot next door at that never-lived-in stack of cinder blocks and decided to plant my side of the vacant lot with Sabal seedlings to block views at and from that abandoned edifice. What you see in the following photos grew up since 2009 (the house sold in 2010; the neighbors are nice people). None of these palms are technically mine but I hope if anyone ever builds there, they appreciate privacy as much as we.
      Note: Sabals domingensis and maritima are really large palms. Sabal palmetto is the smallest trunking Sabal and one of the slowest growing. Sabal causiarum is a total behemoth. I added a seedling one to the Row after the others and it dwarfs them all.
      Sabal Row, March 2020, Cape Coral, FL

Sabal Trunks x3: Palm on left is S. palmetto. Other two may be domingensis and maritima (ID tags disappeared long ago)

Sabal maritima (left), Sabal palmetto (right) - Same age but look at size differential.

Opposite view: Sabal palmetto (right) and Sabal maritima (left)

Sabal palmetto Trunk

Sabal maritima trunk