• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have many palms. Most of them are very happy palms because I love them and we treat them well. In turn, they reward us with bountiful crops of seeds. I've learned there is scant interest in seeds of very tropical palms, esp. "common" ones that grow fast and get large no matter how beautiful they are. Today we got out the pole saw to stop these palms from burying us alive in seeds. We ended up with the pile of aborted infructescenses you see in the photos. Sad, I know, but necessary.
      For anyone interested, that pile includes the following species as I can best remember:
      Adonidia merrillii
      Veitchia joannis
      Veitchia spiralis
      Veitchia winin
      Carpentaria acuminata
      Dypsis pembana
      Coccothrinax sp
      Archonotophoenix tuckeri
      Archonotophoenix maxima
      Ptychosperma elegans

• DoomsDave
      By DoomsDave
      Here's an Archie maxima in June of 2008, and today.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I planted this Archo 5 or so years ago. It has grown to be a monster - largest and fattest by far than any other Archo I have. This year it put out its first inlforescense and that's pink. Which Archo has pink flowers?

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today I continued my photo record of our landscaping escapades by focusing on the east side of the house. In the swale near the street I planted a bald cypress. I love how they grow "knees" in the Everglades. Cape Coral has started landscaping water runoff areas with cypress and some of them have developed really cool knees. Just above the swale, on the slope - bad idea - I put in an 8x8 Euphorbia garden. This was before we acquired our garden lot and had little room left for my goofy ideas. So, some of the tall Euphorbias have a tendency to list or fall over.

I missed this little Livistona nitida when I photographed Sabal Row. It's actually not on my property but no one has complained yet.

From the street side looking south

Our monster Roystonea regia. We planted it over 20 years ago as a willowy sapling. It's fixing to rain down 1000s of little seeds.