Oviedo_z10b_lol

Orlando area palm nursery recommendations?

Oviedo_z10b_lol

New guy here.

Do any of my fellow central Floridians have any suggestions for good palm tree nurseries in and around Orlando? Somewhere with a solid selection and perhaps some rare or z10 palms. 

Lukas Nursery is nice, albeit a bit overpriced. Apparently MB Palms is the go-to? 

(Selfishly, the primary reason I ask... I’m looking for decent sized A. Cunninghamiana, B. Alfredi, and A. Engleri) BUT, I’m always keeping an eye out for new places to waste an afternoon and a few bucks. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

donalt

Palm Gardens Nursery 4761 Judge Road Orlando. As you drive in the front entrance , you will see mature royal , foxtail, adonidia and other palms. Towards the back of the property, there is a large selection of palms, mango trees, and other tropical plants.

• Like 1

palmsOrl

Yeah, Lucas has a bit of a selection of tropical and/or less common palms but they are overpriced and in a couple cases, not for sale.  With that greenhouse in the back toward the middle of the nursery, they could certainly offer a bit more of the way of smaller sized unusual palms.  That said, they do have a bunch of interesting misc. tropicals in that area and I always enjoy my visits to Lucas.

Merlyn2220

Lukas is usually too expensive for me, by about a factor of 2.  For common and some unusual palms I go to Green's Nursery in Apopka.  They carry a lot of stuff at close to wholesale pricing.  MB is the only place in town (that I know of) with rare palms. He's wholesale only but will sell (cash only) if you know exactly what you want. He's not interested in 'lookie-lous' but is okay with palm enthusiasts looking to buy a few items.  You can also go to the Leu Gardens sale and pick up items there. I'm not sure when the next sale day is.

Another spot that had a few nice palms (and a B. alfredii when I was there) is either Brentwood Nursery near the airport on Narcoossee.  I don't recall the price, but they had 2 in the South side among the semi-planted stuff.

kinzyjr

The Spring Plant Sale at Leu is usually in March.  Last year's was March 9th and 10th; the second weekend in March.  You can usually find the sale on the Upcoming Events section of the website: https://www.leugardens.org/category/events/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      @palmsOrl and myself went over to Largo to see @SWFLchris's operation.  Chris had a large selection of palms that aren't available in your typical big box outlets.  I picked up two Carpentaria acuminata seedlings and a Cryosophila warscewiczii to add to my landscape.  @palmsOrl posted his plunder on this thread in the Discussion forums:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/64208-new-palms-a-floribunda-order-and-a-trip-to-see-chris/
      Some of the inventory for this nursery is listed here:
      https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/grd/d/largo-rare-palms-huge-selection-of-1/7126808922.html
      A few of my Tampa area friends like @RedRabbit and @Chatta will be happy to know that there is at least one nursery in West Central FL where they can pick up some goodies.  If you're in the Tampa region or don't mind driving over, give Chris a holler.  Highly recommended!
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      There are some labeled plantings around Lake Wire.  The plantings contain some nice gems as well as some old favorites.  The plantings are labeled accurately for the most part, making it an experience more like you would expect at a botanical garden than a stroll down the sidewalk.  If there are incorrect labels, please point them out as I went by the label nearest to the plant for the most part.
      Syagrus coronata

A close-up of one of the labels.  Looks like someone was snacking on Syagrus fruits nearby.

Allagoptera arenaria (as noted in the label above - next two pictures)

The next three are various Mule palms:

The double-headed Butia I shared earlier in the Remarkable Palms of Tampa Bay thread.  One of the heads looks like it is on the way out.

Beccariophoenix alfredii in the next two photos

The Queen Palm fruit that seems to be a favorite of one of the homeless folks walking in the area.

Dypsis lutescens

The next two are some very long term Dypsis decaryi

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      This post is from a local park that includes a walking path, some tennis courts and a playground for the youngsters.  It includes some marginal palm plantings, cycads and creative landscaping that takes full advantage of the steep hills in the area.
      The playground entrance:

Some of the experimental palm plantings, including a Licuala, Coccothrinax crinita and a few other local favorites like Dypsis decaryi:

Walking up the hill around the outside of the park, you can get some sense for the natural grade of the land and a nice view of the cycads on the border:

Palm companions like crotons and bromeliads are represented as well and add color:

• Oviedo_z10b_lol
      By Oviedo_z10b_lol
      Home Depot was having a sale on 3gal c. Nucifera so I bought one. I plan on keeping it in a large planter through this winter until I plant it out in the spring. 

any advice on soil type for the planter?

originally I potted it in about 50/50 native soil (central florida sand) and top soil.  But it seems to hold moisture more than ideal. 

perhaps mix in some play sand? Or miracle grow tropical soil mix? 

thanks in advance 
    • Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      Tropiflora's 19th Annual Fall Festival
      Nursery Open House & Sale - Sarasota, Florida
      Link to Topic: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/61600-the-ganza-heads-north-–-vendor-at-tropiflora’s-fall-festival-–-october-25th-26th-27th-–-2019/
      3530 Tallevast Road, Sarasota, FL 34243
      Friday, October 25th, 8:00AM - 5:00PM
      Saturday, October 26th, 8:00AM - 5:00PM
      Sunday, October 27th, 10:AM - 3:00PM
      For more information, check out the link above to the sale topic, or visit Tropiflora's website: https://tropiflora.com/

Ryan