IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina Spectacular

waykoolplantz

We have 3 Tahinas..this is the largest as it obviously loving the water

Peter Balasky and Luke Dollar and of course..Rascal and the girls for size

BA6F9FD4-D9C8-4163-9190-F7FAD874C7E2.jpeg

Dr Balasky and Luke Dollar are committed to improving life and conservation in Madagascar through education...and the building of schools.

we were discussing the next project which is to add a library to a educational complex that includes primary...middle and high school

• Like 24
  • Upvote 10

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

That's a VERY impressive specimen! :o

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I would love to see a pic of a tahina grown next to a bizzie just for comparison. Such prehistoric looking palms , spectacular is a great description!!! 

T J 

Mind blowing. I hope I live long enough to see my little one that size.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I would love to see a pic of a tahina grown next to a bizzie just for comparison. Such prehistoric looking palms , spectacular is a great description!!! 

Like this

C67A106B-EEB3-48D0-8EFB-956DC1427202.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

4 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

Si

Then we must see more of it B) What's the age difference between the 2 ? Tahina must be pretty slow considering the size it can attain. 

T J 

5 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

:drool:Similar hardiness to Bismarckia? Anyone know of a current source for seeds or plants?

I thought Bismarkia is cold hardier ? I’m growing Bismarckia but never thought of Tahina is also a possibility?

12 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

:drool:Similar hardiness to Bismarckia? Anyone know of a current source for seeds or plants?

Im gonna say on the same hardiness as this palm is from Madagascar where most palms can only take a light freeze. Fellow PT members have said can take 29° with little leaf burn. Where Bizzies i have seen take freezing rain @20° with defoliation but has came back. 

As far as seed source maybe RPS, but unfortunately a palm has to die to get seeds and its extremely endangered. Possibly south florida nurseries have them maybe @Jeff Searle could help out. 

T J 

1 hour ago, HtownPalms said:

So impressive that it almost looks like a photoshopped fake picture! Would love the chance to see one in person some day. 

as they used to say...Y'all come on down

• Like 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

8 minutes ago, waykoolplantz said:

I may have to take you up on it 1 day 

T J 

Beautiful :drool::yay: I would say that they look like Coryphas without thorns or a Green Form Bismarkia on steroids.

Gentlemen Thanks for the visuals..:greenthumb:

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

5 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

I keep promising my kids that we will go to Florida some day! 

Speechless! 

Kudos as well to the gentlemen for their philanthropic efforts on that magical island.

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

These palms are over the top. Incredible, prehistoric-looking.

Named the suicide palm. 50 years (+ or -) and it's curtains. 

It's a beautiful palm.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

29 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

These palms are over the top. Incredible, prehistoric-looking.

Named the suicide palm. 50 years (+ or -) and it's curtains. 

It's a beautiful palm.

50yrs sounds alot better then what most are getting out of there Caryota's haha. Unfortunately doesnt sound like seeds are easy to come by 

• Like 1

T J 

5 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

50yrs sounds alot better then what most are getting out of there Caryota's haha. Unfortunately doesnt sound like seeds are easy to come by 

Hear, hear!

(Forgot about the Caryota). But for this puppy, you better have space. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this large Tahina back in 2012 when it was pretty impressive. It's now simply amazing. Is this the largest in cultivation? Does anyone have a larger individual? Hawaii?

As for more seed, the local communities are monitoring the known populations and if a flowering occurs, we are hopeful seed will once again become available with proceeds of sale ploughed back into local community development and conservation

John Dransfield

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

John Dransfield

5 hours ago, John Dransfield said:

I saw this large Tahina back in 2012 when it was pretty impressive. It's now simply amazing. Is this the largest in cultivation? Does anyone have a larger individual? Hawaii?

As for more seed, the local communities are monitoring the known populations and if a flowering occurs, we are hopeful seed will once again become available with proceeds of sale ploughed back into local community development and conservation

John Dransfield

John - thanks for the info.

With the success many are having with this palm in cultivation, I would suspect there would be plenty of interest.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Mike, its beautiful! I look forward to coming over and not only seeing this but the entire garden.

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow! Yes, spectacular!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Looks half again larger than borassus, perhaps almost 2x a bismarckia.  Its a gorgeous massive palm, one of a few that are just too big for my yard.   Looks notably bigger than corypha in leaves, wow!  Thanks for the pics!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank