IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix myolensis

pietropuccio

Archontophoenix myolensis
The 1,2 m long crownshaft and enlarged stem base (⌀ 54 cm):

AmyolensisIPS03.jpg

AmyolensisIPS04.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Beautiful palm!

Im still trying to figure out actual differences between Maxima,Myolensis, and Alexandrae. I have palms sold as Maxima and Alexandrae in my garden that look just like that palm in terms of color, leaf structure, etc. 

None of mine have flowered yet but when it comes to seeds it seems Maxima and Myolensis bit have the oblong shaped seeds whereas Alexandrae has round seeds. Until mine start seeding I won’t be able to compare myself.

I have all 3(myolensis, maxima, alexandre) and myolensis has a little longer crownshaft with more wax(a hint more bluish) and leaflets start 6" from the leaf base. while the maxima and alexandre leaflets start closer to 1' from the leaf base.  All are whitish in leaflet undersides, though the alexandre appear to be a bit more white, it might be the viewable angle of the sun making it appear so.  It is hard to tell a maxima and an alexandre apart I understand, and my maxima sure looks like an alexandre but is faster growing as it is showing the more separated trunk rings and is catching up to the older alexandre.  I have heard maximas are more upright in the crown, and that is the case for mine, though its not a striking difference.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

57 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

I have all 3(myolensis, maxima, alexandre) and myolensis has a little longer crownshaft with more wax(a hint more bluish) and leaflets start 6" from the leaf base. while the maxima and alexandre leaflets start closer to 1' from the leaf base.  All are whitish in leaflet undersides, though the alexandre appear to be a bit more white, it might be the viewable angle of the sun making it appear so.  It is hard to tell a maxima and an alexandre apart I understand, and my maxima sure looks like an alexandre but is faster growing as it is showing the more separated trunk rings and is catching up to the older alexandre.  I have heard maximas are more upright in the crown, and that is the case for mine, though its not a striking difference.

What’s interesting and confusing for me is both the Maximas and Alexandraes I have seen to have a lot of variation between individuals that they have cross over traits. For me Alexandrae is the opposite of you, the Alex palms in my yard have the stiffest most upright crowns and leaves.(I think they are the Beatricea variety) I have 2 Maximas next to each other that are very different yet similar size and two more that are smaller but one of the two has different traits from the other 3 all together. The first pic shows an Alexandrae triple where the largest of the three is the most upright of all the Kings in my yard. In the second pic you can see the largest of the Maximas in my yard which has smaller, less upright leaves and a slightly thinner base and crownshaft.

E1BB9825-79C3-4BAB-9D37-689FCE670310.jpeg

0FCDE78C-6EF9-4161-B4F1-29C4557911CF.jpeg

• Like 1

In the pics below are two Maximas that are planted right next to each other. They are similar in height and from the same nursery. The first has a blue green almost turquoise crown shaft had continued to hold its color down the trunk almost to the base. It is a skinny palm and has the shortest petiole of any King in my yard. The second Maxima is thicker and has longer petiole maybe 4”-5”. It also has a neon green/yellow crown shaft that looks almost like a highlighter if you saw it in person. It does not hold its color going down the trunk the way the other palm does and turns to wood after 3 or 4 rings.

7DCAD9B0-D295-49DD-A5DC-FCFE2713BFF1.jpeg

98CF3133-6D2F-4C97-B077-3888054428DD.jpeg

6 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

If seeds are viable, I am interested in buying or swapping. 

I already have many requests from Sicilian friends, I don't think I can satisfy everyone, however, send me an email.

Regards,

Pietro Puccio