IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Have you grown Lipsticks from seed? How big and how old is it now?

www.dadluvsu.com

Sucker division seems like the fastest way to propagate, but I’m germination crazy!  How long would it take to get from one leaflet to a one gallon plant?  Have you grown it from seed?  How old is it now?  How big?  Got pix?

2C99F45B-AD36-4620-9BE5-74000A1035EE.jpeg

• Like 1

Mine aren’t. If yet but I bought 300 seeds because I knew of the difficulty. Started propagation in December and finally now I have to germinated. Talk bout patience needed!

• Upvote 2

No problem here in east Hawaii Island. Got a bunch of seeds from a tree at the Pana'ewa Zoo in July 2008. Good germination in three to four months. Planted some out in May 2016. They didn't need to be in the pots that long, but I didn't have a location for them. The tallest stems are now over my head (7 to 8 feet). Some planted in low lying areas, some on hills - no difference in growth. This has not been a problem palm species for me. One picture below with 5-gal orange bucket for scale. I have also had good luck with growing Cyrtostachys elegans.

2015386317_Cyrtostachysrenda_1_MLM_092219.thumb.JPG.9bb6b97f357dd30492c114a5ada25be0.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thanks Mike.  Didn’t expect any trouble from these...  But I’ve been watching these little spears eek along for a month now and have realized I’m in this for a long haul...  10 years to get overhead!  Wow!  Picked these off a nice looking specimen at Puuhonu and Komohana...

EC057FEA-51D2-4654-A71C-0771B6211261.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PalmsOrl requested a photo of C. elegans. Here tis w/5-gal orange bucket:

392378681_Cyrtostachyselegans_1_MLM_092319.thumb.JPG.70a5888e81ab9094f5dd293f1dc25d60.JPG

PersistentPalms may have a future gold mine there. Lipsticks are slow-growing (although mine have taken off after given a place in the ground). As a result, many people want to purchase them, rather than wait.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Hey, Bill! Since you asked.. 

7" tall and 26 months old. Where these are headed I have no idea, but they did get me back into growing palms ago 2 years ago. :D

20190925_203339.thumb.jpg.ba24f61206219f2d33ea0d08ffd9e5d6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

John!  Glad to see you still lurking around here too!  I kinda put away palms growing for a bit too...  Been super busy over the last couple years.  Gonna have to get back at it soon!  Nice looking plant you have there, gonna spend their winters indoors I'd imagine! ^_^

Hi,

my second attempt with this species. As far as I have learned, to get them sprouted is not

that hard but then the hard labour starts, meaning getting them through the young stage is

quite challenging. I lost my first group of plants after one year during the winter  - which is usually

very mild though - the roots caught something and then they died all within two weeks.

(I probably watered them too much when they didn't need it.)

Here is my next try. The seedlings are now a year old and looking good so far. I will be very 

careful when our temperatures are going to drop to winterly 22/23C (min. peaks are around

16C) because I really want them to grow and put them in the ground one day...

099.thumb.jpg.289e73bc3a6c4ef81baeddd92fc8d37b.jpg

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 2

You might try keeping them in a heated aquarium, or perhaps a Rubbermaid or similar container filled with rainwater or distilled water and heated (e.g., by an aquarium heater) to 85-88 degrees F year 'round. Make sure the water is biased toward acid (hence the rainwater) and you can include lots of peat and/or coco peat (which is more hydrophilic, but not as acid, as peat). This species is an aquatic and grows in peat swamps in equatorial areas so you could take your cue from that. The addition of a slow and gentle infusion of appropriate fertilizer would make everything happen as quickly as possible! My experience with C. renda (until Hurricane Irma's day-long 5-foot saltwater bath instantaneously blackened my 7' clump) was that it was not really difficult at all, kept a good appearance and managed to survive four hours below 50F without any issue (low was about 48 I think). They love, love, love heat but they slow down when you take away their water. The really good-looking clumps I've seen here are all growing aquatically or semi-aquatically. The hybrid is MUCH faster and my 12' clump actually managed to hang on for a year after Irma before it slowly petered out and died. So not perfect but in every way a more robust plant than C. renda.

• Upvote 2

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

3 hours ago, PersistentPalms said:

Michael, What is the difference in the hybrid?  Crossed with what?  Got a pic?

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/60091-jeff-searles-new-youtube-video-cyrtostachys-renda-hybrid/

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

It has always been said that the hybrid was with Cyrtostachys elegans, a beautiful all-green species. There are threads on this forum that discuss all of those issues. But Jeff Searle or Jeff Marcus would have to weigh in with their specific knowledge (and one of the other probably have, in those various threads). Both sold them and I think Jeff Searle (who sold a bunch of good-sized plants until he ran out) got his from Thailand. Jeff Marcus (Floribunda Palms), if I remember right, told me that the seedling hybrids he sold were from the late Pauleen Sullivan's garden on the Big Island where there were populations of both species and these were somehow determined to be crosses. Pauleen's garden is now something like 40 feet under a flow of lava so will have to be sourced in future from a different place!!

• Upvote 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

The truck is to find the "holy grail" 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Wow this is inspiring. But I have had no luck germinating these from seed. They have never sprouted. Do they have a super short viability? My seeds came from RPS. I think I have tried 3 times using the zip lock bag method. 

16 hours ago, Mvule said:

Wow this is inspiring. But I have had no luck germinating these from seed. They have never sprouted. Do they have a super short viability? My seeds came from RPS. I think I have tried 3 times using the zip lock bag method. 

I bought seeds from 3 sources with no luck. But! Strangest thing I never gave up in baggy method. Kept on 95 degrees plus temps and after months my bag is full of sprouts and strange thing is they all started around the same time. A lot of people said freshness is key but I have some seeds from last December 10 months ago that are popping