IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A visit to my old garden here in Leilani Estates

bgl

As I mentioned in the Dypsis canaliculata thread a little while ago, I visited my old garden earlier this afternoon and took a few photos of some of the palms there. Will post a few of them here. Here's a grove of Dypsis sp. bejofa. There are 24 in this group and they were planted from 5G pots in late 2001 and into 2002.

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

A group of Pelagodoxa henryana.

DSC_0087.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dypsis decipiens grove.

DSC_0097.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Dypsis carlsmithii grove - all planted from 1G pots in late 2001.

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Mystery Dypsis. (And I'm guessing someone here will have an idea. I have an idea myself but will keep it to myself for the time being. :mrlooney: )

DSC_0101.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Neoveitchia storckii grove. All planted from 25G pots in July 2001.

DSC_0110.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Tahina spectabilis. Planted March 22nd, 2010, from a 15G pot. Germinated in May 2008.

DSC_0111.JPG

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Borassus flabellifer. Planted September 12, 2003 from a 15G pot.

DSC_0112.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Carpoxylon macrospermum. I planted a total of 88 individuals in this grove around 1999 and 2000. A handful didn't make it but the rest are doing great and in some areas there's a carpet of self germinated seedlings.

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

And a few final photos, sort of just general views to show the wildness of this place.:mrlooney: The taller palms with dark crownshafts in the first photo are all Neoveitchia storckii.

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bgl said:

Mystery Dypsis. (And I'm guessing someone here will have an idea. I have an idea myself but will keep it to myself for the time being. :mrlooney: )

DSC_0101.JPG

Dypsis Hankona?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Excellent! I love the grove concept. Especially as they are planted at near the optimum spacing. It really makes a difference if you have the space. 

• Upvote 2

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

I hope those precious Lodoicias are still doing well.  The Kerriodoxa alley also made a great impression on me. The hardscape really stands out as well designed and built. The covered bridge and curvy black walls are very distinctive. 

• Upvote 1

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Love the look. Its like a rare palm zoo with packs of the same species all kept together. Great way to get large amounts of seeds as well.

Regards Neil

• Upvote 1

So amazing!

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Fabulous garden Bo!  I love the groves of different palms, stunning!!  The work necessary and results gained are both stunning(planted out 88 caropxylon?).  All I can say is that shows an exemplary passion for tropical palms.  Thanks so much for the photos, I love the wild look with the groves!

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Wonderful pics Bo; like a trip back into time. I was just getting started when your garden was still pretty young & it was so enjoyable to see what some of the seedlings I had might some day turn into some day, even back then. Thanks for sharing again.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Very nice collection. Fantastic. I remember the Dypsis decipiens pics from years ago. Why are there dark parts on some of the trunks?

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Spectacular! Wonderful garden you have.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

21 hours ago, bgl said:

DSC_0101.JPG

Did any of the others make it?  I seem to remember there were a few in a lawn area! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I really like all pictures of your old garden, Bo. Thanks for posting these.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thanks for posting Bo! I remember the garden with the 'groves' of palms well. Nothing planted in twos or threes, but by the twenties or thirties. Pretty eye popping. :blink:

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks a lot, everyone, for your kind comments. :) Jason, I'm not all that familiar with "Hankona". I was hoping for a proper botanical name for this particular Dypsis. I bought it as a "mystery Dypsis" long time ago. And RichNorm, there is only ONE of these (and none in the "lawn area").

Alberto, the Dypsis decipiens' natural habitat in Madagascar is extremely dry with very little rainfall. In Leilani Estates we get about 130 inches/3500 mm of rain a year, so it's pretty amazing that they do as well as they do here, but they do get spots of mold on them which is why you see those dark parts.

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

The garden still looks great after all these years Bo!

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Great to see that your old garden is being well cared for. It looks fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks a lot for the additional comments! :) And my new garden, ha ha, well, the weeds seem to be doing exceedingly well! :lol2: And the palms as well, actually, except for a very few that didn't make it through the nearby volcanic eruption last summer (2018), specifically my Dictyocaryum lamarckianum - lost every single one. About ten of them, 12-14 ft tall. In between all my travels I attempt to weedwhack the driveway and a few other areas and have accepted the inevitable - this will be a jungle with some palms thrown in here and there.:mrlooney: The volcanic eruption and the resulting nasty gases had a more dramatic impact on my old garden (because it was fairly close to Fissure 11 and 12), killing a number of palms. Specifically a large number of Areca vestiaria. I planted a total of 240 and many of them, unfortunately, are dead now. But many (probably most) palms were unfazed.:)

• Upvote 1

Nice to see an update of a great garden which is known to many of us. I love the mature groves. How are the Lodoiceas now?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

The three Lodoicea maldivica were dug up and moved to the Floribunda Nursery garden last summer. Sad to say, they did not survive. :crying: