• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of the Myrtle Beach Area

DAVEinMB

This pindo is much taller than it seems in the picture. I was pretty surprised as I was walking up to it. 

Also, the amount of difference in appearance from one pindo to the next never ceases to amaze me

20220430_104359.jpg

20220430_104415.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Yea yea yea I know, just a washy... nothing special. But dammit if I don't like finding ones this tall around here.

North Myrtle Beach, zone 8b

20220603_175407.jpg

20220603_175358.jpg

20220603_175346.jpg

20220603_175624.jpg

20220603_175459.jpg

20220603_175434.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Every washy around here made it as well. If you have proximity to the lake of ~.5 miles you're a good 3-5 deg warmer then the outskirts. Columbia is is starting to see more and more washies.  A L. chinensis in Chapin made to me surprise pretty far from the lake, every leaf on it was crispy in January.  Drove by it yesterday and it was pushing 3 or 4 new fronds. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, RJ said:

Every washy around here made it as well. If you have proximity to the lake of ~.5 miles you're a good 3-5 deg warmer then the outskirts. Columbia is is starting to see more and more washies.  A L. chinensis in Chapin made to me surprise pretty far from the lake, every leaf on it was crispy in January.  Drove by it yesterday and it was pushing 3 or 4 new fronds. 

I been noticing healthy, tall washies around here randomly go "missing". One of the tallest ones I've seen in the area, probably 40' tall was just cut down a couple weeks ago. I guess once they reach a certain height they're viewed as more of a liability. Starting to think that human removal contributes more to not seeing really tall ones than cold snaps

I'm going to myrtle beach next week, I'm excited to see some of the plantings around where I'm staying!

Washies are slowly creeping up the coast and marching north 🤠

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here’s some photos I took when staying at the Hilton double tree, They started giving the sabals the dreaded hurricane cuts. 

I had no idea what this palm was but I thought maybe livistona?

IMG_2519.thumb.jpeg.3f2a80a67ab0e35200028233c7b5147d.jpeg

IMG_2438.jpeg

IMG_2490.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2521.jpeg

IMG_2520.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

IMG_2525.jpeg

IMG_2528.jpeg

IMG_2530.jpeg

IMG_2529.jpeg

IMG_2496.jpeg

IMG_2489.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SeanK said:

@ZPalms - First one is Livistona. A couple of nice Chamaerops there, too.

Oh neat, that was my first time seeing a livistona in person and I didn’t even know it 😂 

the chamaerops were very impressive to me, never seen them that size or with that much trunk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@ZPalms ok prolly more like 20 to 25 feet but here it is

20230902_112252.jpg

20230902_112335.jpg

20230902_112341.jpg

Woah they are sooo tall, like mini washingtonia, they would look even cooler if they kept a decent skirt on them 😍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Woah they are sooo tall, like mini washingtonia, they would look even cooler if they kept a decent skirt on them 😍

Agreed, it's a very manicured lawn so they probably have them cleaned up regularly

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, SeanK said:

@DAVEinMB - Do you see much S.repens up that way?

Yea there's a good bit around town. They're pretty popular as business accent plantings. Tallest one I've come across had around 5' of trunk. I think I posted it in this thread a few pages back

Edit -- pics are on page 3 🤙

Edited by DAVEinMB

I called several places in/around Myrtle for Serenoa repens.  Plants Direct was the only vendor I could find that said, yes we have them, and if we run out we'll get more in the spring.  The other vendors said things like, "well, we don't have any, but we get them in on occasion".  

I ran down to Conway for Yuccas, Trachys, Agave, and a couple Butias last week.  Didn't have time to swing into Myrtle unforunately.   Still need to source a couple decent sized Chamaerops. 

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 10:33 PM, BeyondTheGarden said:

I called several places in/around Myrtle for Serenoa repens.  Plants Direct was the only vendor I could find that said, yes we have them, and if we run out we'll get more in the spring.  The other vendors said things like, "well, we don't have any, but we get them in on occasion".  

I ran down to Conway for Yuccas, Trachys, Agave, and a couple Butias last week.  Didn't have time to swing into Myrtle unforunately.   Still need to source a couple decent sized Chamaerops. 

I'll keep my eyes open for you come spring time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, DAVEinMB said:

@ZPalms ok prolly more like 20 to 25 feet but here it is

20230902_112252.jpg

20230902_112335.jpg

20230902_112341.jpg

May be the largest east of the MS river.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...