• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of the Myrtle Beach Area

DAVEinMB

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about doing a thread highlighting the palms growing in and around Myrtle Beach. 

Of course the area is littered with sabals but I wanted to focus on the butia, washingtonia, trachy, phoenix, etc. that are sprinkled around. There are some well established, mature trees around here that look like they've been doing well for many years. 

Question is, would you guys rather have the posts broken up by type of palm or just throw everything into the same thread? Let me know and I'll start throwing pics up. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Throw em up 

The people have spoken haha. I'll keep them all in this thread. 

I have some pictures handy but will need to get some more this weekend. 

I'll start with the washingtonias. A couple look like pure robusta and the others look like filibusta. I'm no expert tho so please chime in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Filibusta?

20181014_160847.jpg

20190101_163754.jpg

20190329_161822.jpg

Yup. Those three look like Filibustas to me.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

CIDP

These are all within a mile of the coast. There are a few further inland that I'll try to get pics of this week. 

The one with the pineapple cut is an old picture, it looks a lot nicer now. That restaurant has also added 2 more to their lot. I'll do my best to get pics of those this week as well. 

Snapchat-493716325.jpg

20190115_154417.jpg

20190706_120356.jpg

20190706_120913.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Very nice!  Looks to be a great climate for palms!  Your yard is going to be a jungle!

Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a mild winter, you never know when that 8b hammer is gonna come crashing down :blink: haha

Here's some more pics from the weekend. All of these came from the north end of the strand. I came across quite a few beautiful washingtonia and CIDP. In another thread I mentioned that canary islands aren't common in the area - well I found a couple isolated pockets of multiple plantings. Some residential and some business. They all seemed to be doing really well.

First the washingtonias. 

These look like filibusta and are in a parking lot of a closed business. They are all around 30' tall and are producing seed. There was one small plant that managed to take root in the parking lot. 

20190921_121929.jpg

20190921_121933.jpg

20190921_121939.jpg

20190921_122003.jpg

20190921_121955.jpg

20190921_122017.jpg

• Like 3

Here's an updated pic of one of the better looking cidp's in the area. This is in the front lot of a restaurant on highway 17. I included the a pic from last year to show how much it has grown.

20190921_122722.jpg

20190921_122732.jpg

20190921_122747.jpg

Snapchat-1558717052.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Anyone wanna take a stab at what this one is? The crown is pretty disheveled so it's tough to make out. Doesn't look like canary to me but who knows. 

20190921_125817.jpg

20190921_125902.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Anyone wanna take a stab at what this one is? The crown is pretty disheveled so it's tough to make out. Doesn't look like canary to me but who knows. 

20190921_125817.jpg

20190921_125902.jpg

I found a Google maps pic of this one when it had a full crown.  Not the greatest pic but that's the closest it would let me get to it. 

Screenshot_20190923-143212_Maps.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

20190921_125817.jpg

20190921_125902.jpg

Phoenix dactylifera?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Phoenix dactylifera?

I initially thought that but was thrown off by the yellow at the base of the petioles. That's normally a characteristic of sylvestris right? If it is a sylvestris that gives me more hope for long term survival of mine B)

• Like 1

GO MYRTLE BEACH! Lots of palms you would think could only grow from the Charleston area and southward. I have not been to Myrtle Beach in a few years, but the last time I went I remeber seeing some extremely tall Washingtonia robusta against the side of a hotel and being amazed by them. I also saw a Washingtonia robusta in Southeastern N.C. that was inland on our way to Myrtle Beach, it was taller than the ranch home it was planted at, it was in the backyard and you could see it from the front over the house. That one is likely dead now though. Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach had a lot of Washingtonia. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

16 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

GO MYRTLE BEACH! Lots of palms you would think could only grow from the Charleston area and southward. I have not been to Myrtle Beach in a few years, but the last time I went I remeber seeing some extremely tall Washingtonia robusta against the side of a hotel and being amazed by them. I also saw a Washingtonia robusta in Southeastern N.C. that was inland on our way to Myrtle Beach, it was taller than the ranch home it was planted at, it was in the backyard and you could see it from the front over the house. That one is likely dead now though. Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach had a lot of Washingtonia. 

I've lived here for years and I gotta tell ya,  I'm still amazed at what I come across from time to time. There's a nice mix of robusta and filibusta in the area and honestly it looks like the same amount of tall, dead ones of both kind. Filibusta are supposed to be a tad bit hardier but it doesn't seem to matter with what they're exposed to here...at least from the visible tally. 

If you get off 95 and take 74>410>701 into the area I think I know the washy ur referring to! Last time I was headed up north I noticed it. Attached is a Google maps shot :D

20190924_083707.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RoystoneaJax said:

@DaveinMB Awesome palms! Do you ever see any Bismarkia?

There's one nursery in town that keeps a couple 65g (maybe larger) on hand but the owner says they're basically just show plants for the lot. He says they are for sale but good luck keeping them alive. 

Those are the only ones I've seen in person in the area. Over the past 19 winters we've seen 2 at 8a, 11 at 8b, 5 at 9a, and 1 at 9b with the average yearly low over that timespan coming in at 18.4 degrees. I'm not sure how hard it would be to protect a bizzy but I want to say they need a consistent 9b situation for longterm survival. I will say tho, I stared at the ones on his lot for awhile debating whether or not I could keep them alive :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/24/2019 at 8:37 AM, DAVEinMB said:

I've lived here for years and I gotta tell ya,  I'm still amazed at what I come across from time to time. There's a nice mix of robusta and filibusta in the area and honestly it looks like the same amount of tall, dead ones of both kind. Filibusta are supposed to be a tad bit hardier but it doesn't seem to matter with what they're exposed to here...at least from the visible tally. 

If you get off 95 and take 74>410>701 into the area I think I know the washy ur referring to! Last time I was headed up north I noticed it. Attached is a Google maps shot :D

20190924_083707.jpg

I remember seeing these in April. I think one may have been alive.

11 hours ago, RoystoneaJax said:

@DAVEinMB You should give it a try. I think it would stand a chance if you protected it well.

I may try to plan one into the mix for next spring. I guess my first question would be what would be a better starting point as far as size goes? Smaller plants are easier to protect, of course, but is there any benefit from an acclimation standpoint? Or with something like this do you need all the mass you can get right off the bat?

Also, if I'm going to zone push to that extent are there better options? I've debated trying with queens but haven't been able to find any locally. I have a potted robellini and majesty that I've been reluctant to put in the ground but curious at the same time. 

10 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

I remember seeing these in April. I think one may have been alive.

I'm headed up to ny in a couple weeks, I'll see if I can get a pic or 2 of what's left. 

My first thought is that if you start with a bigger tree and let it have the summer to get established it has a better chance. Queens are 8b hardy right?

14 minutes ago, RoystoneaJax said:

My first thought is that if you start with a bigger tree and let it have the summer to get established it has a better chance. Queens are 8b hardy right?

Some sources say they can handle 8b when large enough, some say they can't. I don't have any personal experience but I haven't come across any growing in the area either. However, there are a lot of palms that can grow here that nobody seems to be growing so...

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Some sources say they can handle 8b when large enough, some say they can't. I don't have any personal experience but I haven't come across any growing in the area either. However, there are a lot of palms that can grow here that nobody seems to be growing so...

The more cold hardier varieties can take 19F for a short while and that's it. Houston(9A) and New Orleans(9B) went down to 19F in January 2018 and lost many of their Queens. But there were also many survivors. So Queens are more a 9A palm minimum, and even there they are in danger of getting wiped out in 30 year freeze or sooner.

Edited by Estlander
  • Upvote 1

On 9/28/2019 at 8:22 AM, Rickybobby said:

I’m surprised no trachys 

Here's a few residential and commercial plantings. They aren't as popular as butia and sabal but you do seem them here and there. 

20190607_163205.jpg

20190921_123717.jpg

20190929_083107.jpg

20190929_083119.jpg

• Like 2