IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plant ID

SEVA

I recently purchased a few plants (1st photo) at a local roadside stand that is set up briefly every spring/fall.  They were having a pre-fall sale, so couldn't resist and only spent $35 in total.  I'm pretty sure of the ID on all except 2, which I will post below.

Also, happened to spot a few palm seedlings (I'm assuming Sabal minor) growing under some loblolly pines as I was heading into town (2nd photo).  I didn't see any other palms nearby.

0916191655b_HDR.jpg

0915191301.jpg

• Like 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

#1 Red ( ..or Purple ) Firespike, Odontonema strictum. Should be fairly easy but might keep it in a pot. Don't think it will survive in the ground up your way.. could be wrong though. Hummingbirds and butterflies love it. Easy from cuttings as well.

Thinking this is Turnera ulmifolia, passionflower family.  Also likely best kept in a pot up your way thru the winter.  Pretty easy from cuttings also. 

• Like 2

Thank you; those look spot on.  All I remember about plant #1 is that it was called red something, and them saying it will die down every winter but will grow back during the growing season.  I'm not sure if I want to put them both in the ground or not.

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

3 minutes ago, SEVA said:

Thank you; those look spot on.  All I remember about plant #1 is that it was called red something, and them saying it will die down every winter but will grow back during the growing season.  I'm not sure if I want to put them both in the ground or not.

:greenthumb:   Definately could plant it, if you want to take the risk this year.. I myself might grow it out in a bigger pot until next summer, root some cuttings, then plant out . That way you have a back up incase it doesn't come back from the roots that far north.  

Turnera might be a different story.  I've heard of them surviving / reseeding in 8b/ 9a areas if cut by a frost / freeze. That said, had a tough time keeping some I'd had going back in my  9b/ 10a part of San Jose( CA ). Thinking the cool wet winter conditions back there were why I lost them. That or I did something, ( quite possible, lol).  Have heard larger plants can be touchy when transplanting, not liking being disturbed much.  Regardless, neat plants, There's another sp. native to part of Sonora roughly 200mi. or so south of Tucson i'd like to grow if i can access seed / starter plants.  Supposedly a bit more cold tolerant and requiring less water then T.  ulmifolia. 

Hmm. Based on this, sounds like Turnera doesn't have a chance here.  I'm borderline 7b/8a according to the hardiness zones map, but I might be in a warmer microclimate based on what I've seen surviving/thriving around here.  I planted a mandevilla vine last year and it returned this year, but stopped growing mid-summer and died.  Do you (or anyone) know how firespike compares in hardiness with Cestrum?  When I bought the Cestrum, the tag said it was only hardy to zone 9, but it comes back every year (maybe it wasn't referring to root hardiness?).  I might just bring them in this winter and root cuttings as suggested. Maybe I'll plant the firespike next spring to give it a better chance.  We only have about 2 months until we have our first frost/freeze.

AHS Heat Zone 7

2 hours ago, SEVA said:

Hmm. Based on this, sounds like Turnera doesn't have a chance here.  I'm borderline 7b/8a according to the hardiness zones map, but I might be in a warmer microclimate based on what I've seen surviving/thriving around here.  I planted a mandevilla vine last year and it returned this year, but stopped growing mid-summer and died.  Do you (or anyone) know how firespike compares in hardiness with Cestrum?  When I bought the Cestrum, the tag said it was only hardy to zone 9, but it comes back every year (maybe it wasn't referring to root hardiness?).  I might just bring them in this winter and root cuttings as suggested. Maybe I'll plant the firespike next spring to give it a better chance.  We only have about 2 months until we have our first frost/freeze.

I'd say if Cestrum comes back for you, Firespike should as well.. esp. if you mulch it well / place where it might have some additional protection ( warmer wall which might block cold winds / accumulate less snow.. if you get any ) If Firespike proves a good returning perennial there, would bet stuff like white / pink Shrimp Plant, other Justicas, and Ruellia elegans would come back for you. 

Mandevillea are weird, lol..  have had he typical pink / red ones you see at lowes or depot do the same thing both in Florida, and in California yet, the native yellow Mandevillea from FL.  which some told me is supposed to be a tad more cold sensitive has done well here in the desert ( in mostly shade, kept on the dry side in winter when half dormant )  Hasn't flowered for me yet this year only because i stuck it under the patio to push more growth after putting it in a bigger pot this year.  

Cestrum certainly does well here (at least this one does), so that's promising.  It's about 7 ft tall right now.  If the red firespike ends up coming back after a winter, I'll probably look into getting some of those you mentioned to trial here.   I actually have the Cestrum planted on the east side of the house (~20 ft away) near the northeast corner, but will likely plant the firespike on the south side of the house if/when the time comes.  Regarding snow, we usually only get about a dusting - 2" at a time and usually snows 1-2 times each winter.  Also, it typically melts within a few hours.  Of course in rare events we can get a foot of snow or in some winters none at all.

0917191151_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

58 minutes ago, SEVA said:

Cestrum certainly does well here (at least this one does), so that's promising.  It's about 7 ft tall right now.  If the red firespike ends up coming back after a winter, I'll probably look into getting some of those you mentioned to trial here.   I actually have the Cestrum planted on the east side of the house (~20 ft away) near the northeast corner, but will likely plant the firespike on the south side of the house if/when the time comes.  Regarding snow, we usually only get about a dusting - 2" at a time and usually snows 1-2 times each winter.  Also, it typically melts within a few hours.  Of course in rare events we can get a foot of snow or in some winters none at all.

0917191151_HDR.jpg

I'll say, doing well for sure. Ever try the red / pinkish flowered variety? You sure your area isn't closer to borderline 9a, lol.  kidding,  im sure the extra humidity is a factor in giving everything that extra boost during the growing season there.  Interesting, didn't realize snowfall was minimal there.  

I added Cestrum nocturnum and Cestrum fasciculatum var newellii this summer, but they haven't grown much.  Hopefully they're focusing their growth on a healthy root system, because they're only a few inches tall. 

I sure wish this was zone 9, lol.  This part of VA doesn't get much snow.  As soon as we hear the word snow, folks panic and clean out the milk, bread, and water from the stores.  Schools close from the possibility of snow even though it ends up just raining in some cases.

AHS Heat Zone 7

21 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I'd say if Cestrum comes back for you, Firespike should as well.. esp. if you mulch it well / place where it might have some additional protection ( warmer wall which might block cold winds / accumulate less snow.. if you get any ) If Firespike proves a good returning perennial there, would bet stuff like white / pink Shrimp Plant, other Justicas, and Ruellia elegans would come back for you. 

Mandevillea are weird, lol..  have had he typical pink / red ones you see at lowes or depot do the same thing both in Florida, and in California yet, the native yellow Mandevillea from FL.  which some told me is supposed to be a tad more cold sensitive has done well here in the desert ( in mostly shade, kept on the dry side in winter when half dormant )  Hasn't flowered for me yet this year only because i stuck it under the patio to push more growth after putting it in a bigger pot this year.  

Mandevilla laxa is a species that performs well in the summer and goes dormant in the winter in cold weather. I have a vine that's bloomed all summer long and is still going strong. Some background: https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=1038

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Mandevilla laxa is a species that performs well in the summer and goes dormant in the winter in cold weather: https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=1038

Forgot about that one, lol. Yes, great species, VERY fragrant as well. 

There are 2 ( or 3) bushy, woody perennial  Mandevillea species, once placed in the genus Macrosiphonia that grow in 9a / 8b parts of AZ, NM, and Texas that look alot like ( and have the same flower scent ) as M. laxa.  Really dislikes the heat here in Chandler ( lost both I had, even in shade ) but pretty common sight in gardens i've visited in Tucson. Would likely do well outside the low deserts in CA.  Might do well in other areas also but hard to obtain outside the few places I know of who grow any of them in Tucson, ...maybe Texas also. 

Missed an opportunity to obtain specimens of Mandevila stans offered  this year at a summer plant sale I'd normally attend. Pretty rare species that barely edges into the U.S.  from Mexico in some of the hilly areas between Nogales and Sierra Vista.  Good chunk of that part of the state is 8b / 9a-ish territory, leaning 8a/b east of Sierra Vista., at least if you go by Plant Map's 2012 update. Would bet that section of the state has warmed a tad more over the last 8 years though.  

Edited by Silas_Sancona
Edit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SEVA said:

I added Cestrum nocturnum and Cestrum fasciculatum var newellii this summer, but they haven't grown much.  Hopefully they're focusing their growth on a healthy root system, because they're only a few inches tall. 

I sure wish this was zone 9, lol.  This part of VA doesn't get much snow.  As soon as we hear the word snow, folks panic and clean out the milk, bread, and water from the stores.  Schools close from the possibility of snow even though it ends up just raining in some cases.

I hear ya, living in both Kansas and Ohio, i remember the " freak out,  white death is comming" drill, lol. Worst is when a blizzard decides to occur 2 days before X- mass.. Longest work day ever ( 17 hours ) So glad I didn't stay in the Grocery retail field..  There were a couple times before that when working at another store we were not allowed to leave due to a snow emergancy. Had been working overnight that day. Thankfully, I lived across the street at the time and could walk home, lol. 

Interesting, I didn't realize folks freaked out up there from any snow event.  I guess I thought they were used to it.  I have family in the northeast that would think we were comically ridiculous for our reactions to snow.  But when you're not used to it like us in the South, I guess that's what happens.

Also, I found a great deal for a Justicia carnea.  Will definitely keep indoors this winter.  I'll probably try to propagate a few, so I have some in pots and some to trial in the ground next year.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

15 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Mandevilla laxa is a species that performs well in the summer and goes dormant in the winter in cold weather. I have a vine that's bloomed all summer long and is still going strong. Some background: https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=1038

Here's a picture of my M. laxa from today, in-between rain showers. It tends to bloom only on the tips of each growing point, but the scent more than makes up for that!

Mandevilla_laxa.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Oops - I guess it's Odontonema strictum.  I'm not a taxonomist and any Latin instruction is way too rusty to recall, so I don't understand why.