TexasColdHardyPalms

Odessa, TX Sabal Mexicana

TexasColdHardyPalms

I stumbled across these quite old Mexicana in an odessa neighborhood a few weeks ago.  This small subdivision has them planted throughout and there are plenty of seedlings and juveniles that have grown through the years.  The tallest specimens are roughly 20' CT. 

20190826_133939.jpg

20190826_133853.jpg

20190826_133910.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

OC2Texaspalmlvr

There looking right at home there, very nice specimens 

TexasColdHardyPalms

Those are by far the largest Sabals I've seen in West Texas. 

OC2Texaspalmlvr
16 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Those are by far the largest Sabals I've seen in West 

Are mexicanas normally not as tall as regular palmettos ? 

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

I believe they top out at roughly the same height but they both take forever to attain their terminal height.

SailorBold

Very nice!   I think that may be a good palm for Albuquerque...  I was thinking of a uresana too.. but that may be the one..  Those are amazing!

TexasColdHardyPalms

Mexicana are more leaf hardy than uresana, but smaller and less pretty IMO.

Jcalvin
On 9/16/2019 at 2:42 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I believe they top out at roughly the same height but they both take forever to attain their terminal height.

Is the slower growing due to the amount of rain they get, considering they grow in a drier environment? Would the growth rate would be just as fast as other sabal palms, palms grown in the southeast and tropical regions, if they received the same amount of water. 

Austinpalm

I have both sabals in my  yard.  Both are watered the same.  Mexicana grows faster. Uresana is the slowest sabal in my experience.

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Uresana are not fast.  Mexicana seem to grow faster than a palmetto too here. But that may be due to precipitation. 

jimmyt
On 9/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I stumbled across these quite old Mexicana in an odessa neighborhood a few weeks ago.  This small subdivision has them planted throughout and there are plenty of seedlings and juveniles that have grown through the years.  The tallest specimens are roughly 20' CT. 

20190826_133939.jpg

20190826_133853.jpg

20190826_133910.jpg

Odessa needs to change the name of that street from Fair Palm to Great Palm.  For sure!

• Like 1

Jcalvin
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20190826_133939.jpg

20190826_133853.jpg

20190826_133910.jpg

Is the skirt of dead fronds a normal trait of Mexicana? The sabals we have here stay much cleaner at the trunk (the dead fronds self-clean at a faster rate).

Fusca
1 hour ago, Jcalvin said:

Is the skirt of dead fronds a normal trait of Mexicana? The sabals we have here stay much cleaner at the trunk (the dead fronds self-clean at a faster rate).

Seems to be a normal trait.  The mexicana I've seen in habitat almost always had several dead fronds on them and some had "skirts" like Washingtonias. They tend to retain the leaf boots longer than palmettos as well.  Unfortunately many commercial plantings here tend to be over-trimmed like the palmettos in Florida.