IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society June Meeting

Palmarum

- "This palm can be yours." Back at the auction, each of the donated palms go to a new home one by one. Some plants receive fast paced, rapid bidding while others go for who ever holds their hand up first.

2007-06-23_13-28-28.jpg

- Next up, a 3 gallon Wallichia densiflora. A great palm for the tropical shaded garden. It had the hands flying up and down.

2007-06-23_13-32-32.jpg

- Auctioneer Neil Yorio points to the winning bidder, "It's yours!" He holds the heavily bidded upon bounty, a deep container filled with a handfull of germinated Satranala decussilvae seed.

2007-06-23_13-53-40.jpg

- I wish I could take credit for the idea behind this photo, but that honor belongs to Yenny, wife of collector and Forum member Frank Lozada (Trópico). She got him into the swing to take his picture, then I convinced her to get in with him. It was the first palm event Frank had attended, and he had a wonderful time. It was great for everyone including myself to have met him finally. They should be easily recognizable from any of Frank's excellent Colombia travel topics.

2007-06-23_13-57-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The auction starts to pick up speed a little, and is nearing the end. You can tell that attendees are getting anxious at this point as some can sense the end of the auction and begin to move over. They want to get first dibs in the sales area.

2007-06-23_14-24-16.jpg

- A pair of Forum members decide to pose for a brief moment (with some gentle nudging). Society member and collector Charlene (Naturegirl) stands to the left of SW Florida member and grower Geri Prall (SW_FL_Palms).

2007-06-23_14-26-36.jpg

- As the auction continues in the background, Forum member Wendi Janvrin (wendisplantation) takes a few photos of other members including Jeff Searle, Ray Hernandez (Ray, Tampa) and Dave Martin (Dave-Vero).

2007-06-23_14-38-20.jpg

- "If they want to stay put for a moment, I am going to take their photo". Standing together for a photo for Wendi's camera, I came in and took the same shot of this happy bunch. Joining Wendi (wendisplantation) in the photo are familiar Forum members Dave Martin (Dave-Vero) and Jeff Searle.

2007-06-23_14-39-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

More- More!  :D  I Like!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Keep em' coming.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Got a photo of that "stampede" that commenced when the auction was over and the sale started ?

I liked to have gotten run over. I had no idea what was to come !  :D

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

I skipped the expensive Satranala seed auction and just bought some of them.

Ryan,

I can't say it enough.......Great photos!!!  Do you do weddings too!?? :D

Jason

Sebastian, Florida USA

Zone 9B/10A

weldertom · Posted on Jun. 28 2007,11:35

Got a photo of that "stampede" that commenced when the auction was over and the sale started ?

I liked to have gotten run over. I had no idea what was to come !  :D

Tom, I was in the wrong spot when the auction ended, and had to get out of the way of that stampede. I got a photo that is coming up that shows a second after the stampede.

Ray, Tampa · Posted on Jun. 28 2007,13:57

I skipped the expensive Satranala seed auction and just bought some of them.

I got a close look at them and the eophyll from the seed looked very dry and questionable. You made the right choice.

ibreakforpalms · Posted on Jun. 29 2007,13:24

Ryan,

I can't say it enough.......Great photos!!!  Do you do weddings too!?? :D

Thanks for the compliments, and yes I have done a few weddings here and there. I had a few wedding photos I had planned to post in the 'Your Photography' topic in the Palapa.

Ryan

South Florida

- The auction is quickly coming to a close, and the picture-taking continues. Jeff Searle stands next to Miranda, daughter of Forum member Wendi Janvrin (wendisplantation). I think Miranda was making a point about something, I forget what though. Maybe Wendi remembers...

2007-06-23_14-39-46.jpg

- 2:40 PM: This large bromeliad was the last plant in the auction, being held by SW Florida member David Prall. As David delivered it to it's new owner, everyone scattered and ran towards the sales area.

2007-06-23_14-40-50.jpg

- This photo was taken a brief second after the auction came to an end. There was a mass stampede of palm fanatics that came from the shaded area, near the tiki bar. I had to get out of the way first before I could take a photo, to avoid getting run over. In the center of the photo, getting out of the way herself, is CFP&CS President Diana Wehrell-Grabowski.

2007-06-23_14-41-24.jpg

- In the shaded sales area, attendees peruse the selection and make quick decisions on what they want, before someone else grabs it. Doing just that is Sarasota member Rob Branch holding up his prize.

2007-06-23_14-41-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Rob found the Actinorhytis I was after.

- A perfect palm sale moment captured in a photo. With her hands full of palms, Forum member Wendi Janvrin (wendisplantation) needed to hold her cash somewhere else. :D

2007-06-23_14-42-12.jpg

- The register table in the center of the sale buzzes with activity. Attendees line up in front of the table to pay for their well-earned spoils. CFP&CS Treasurer and Forum member Bob Johnson (Bob Johnson) accepts payment from everyone in line.

2007-06-23_14-44-04.jpg

- Another Trio of Forum members caught in one spot. Guarding her sleeved Jade Vine, Kitty Philips (palmmermaid) discusses which palms to get with Jason (ibreakforpalms) and Brad Evers (flskimmer).

2007-06-23_14-44-46.jpg

- Close to 3:00 PM, and the sale is in high-gear. Everyone is moving and sorting, choosing and selecting. There was not the usual amount of space given to a palm sale, but even with the reduced amount of plants for sale, it was still a little cramped. There are quite a few Forum members in this photo.

2007-06-23_14-46-48.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan or someone local, please explain the "auction and sale" premise. Out here we usually have a tour and an auction afterwards OR the Quail sale with several vendors together, but not both.  Is this the norm in Florida?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BS, Man about Palms · Posted on Jun. 30 2007,00:45

Ryan or someone local, please explain the "auction and sale" premise...

Bill, this event was not a typical palm sale, it was more of a society meeting. With the societies in the South of Florida, a palm sale is a weekend event consisting of numerous vendors at a particular garden or park. In Central Florida, they have a combination event which includes a society meeting, a garden tour of where the meeting is held, an auction, and then a small sale at the end of the meeting. The auction is just what it seems, members bid on different plants until they are gone. The sale that came afterwards was a mini version of a regular-sized palm or plant sale. I think there were maybe 5 or 6 vendors, each brought a small amount of plants to sell. At a regular sale, Jeff Searle would bring his large white trailer filled with material, yet for the Central Florida meeting, he just filled up the bed of his truck. All the plants together just about filled Ron's front yard. There isn't a norm in Florida to how meetings or sales are conducted, each society has their own way.

The Palm Beach and South Florida societies have night time meetings, which consist of a presentation by a speaker or speakers, and have an auction at the end. Then each society has their own spring and fall palm sales. Palm Beach has their sales at Caloosa Park, South Florida had their first spring sale at Montgomery B. Center this past March. I am almost certain the fall sale will be at Montgomery.

Ryan

South Florida

- Even with the large amount of attendees, about 60 or so, the time spent at the sale was short. The sale seemed to fly on by, while the auction lasted over an hour and a half. Most members got what plants they wanted, got in line, paid, then left. I got some of my additional member photos from just standing on Ron's driveway and waiting for them to pass by. CFP&CS Treasurer, vendor, and Forum member Bob Johnson (Bob Johnson) didn't leave his post for the entire sale. I do not think he would have been able to anyway, since it was a bit hectic. Member Betty Ahlborn [right in yellow] finishes up her transaction as Forum member Wendi Janvrin (wendisplantation) starts putting her plants up on the table.

2007-06-23_14-48-36.jpg

- The last batch of members get in line to pay, as the sale, and the meeting for that matter, begins to slow down. One member carries off his new Bismarck Palm, Bismarckia nobilis to his vehicle. In the center near the table, Forum member Chuck Grieneisen (chuck g) [light yellow] sorts through society business as fellow member Lucinda McCartney (Lucinda) totals her tab at the table.

2007-06-23_14-55-32.jpg

- Just before she left, Forum member Lucinda McCartney (Lucinda) stands next to Wendi's daughter Miranda for a quick photo.

2007-06-23_14-57-34.jpg

- "Yeah!" Exhilarated Forum member Ray Hernandez (Ray, Tampa) quietly sings to himself as he carries out his unsold plants from the sale. He had a monster of a trip back to Tampa ahead of him, not to mention any influence from tourists or the weather.

2007-06-23_15-01-34.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Central Floridave · Posted on Jun. 30 2007,14:32

Nice  shots!

that's me in the sweaty purple shirt and UCF hat.  

Dave,

Not the best photo, but at least I got you in the fray. :) I have to remember to get a better one in the future. I looked back through my photos of the meeting, including ones I posted, and I have a few of you in group shots, or on the edges of others. It is unusual to say I gained a photo of a Forum member, after the meeting was over. Your photos in the CF Gardening Forum are very nice. You captured a few things I missed.

- As seen in post #49, I inadvertently captured a photo of Forum member Dave R. (Central Floridave). If you look for his shirt and hat, you can spot him in other posted photos, here and there.

2007-06-23_14-41-24B.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

The June Meeting was my first time that I can remember attending a Central Florida event, I might have when I was very young. Simply, it was a great society event. I got to visit a wonderful garden again, and as always Ron and Fiona are the perfect hosts. The weather was hot and a bit humid, but the light made for better photography. A fact few took comfort in as they tried to find a spot in the shade. The meeting represented a chance to catch up with some members I have not seen in a long time, and to get their photos. The garden tour was well worth the trip, along with the calamity and excitement that comes with a palm sale. Everyone I saw or met had a good time, even during the long auction. Central Florida did an excellent job putting a meeting together, and I look forward to the next one, wherever it may be.

- The last one at the table was member and vendor Rob Branch, as he dishes out the cash for Ray's lost Actinorhytis calapparia (got to be faster next time Ray). Society board members begin to wrap things up at this point, collecting material, and moving everything out to their cars. Attendees who brought coolers and food containers carry their stuff back up the driveway to the street. The vendors who had plants left over, had to take turns getting their vehicles in. There was a line of cars in Ron's driveway already, so we were going to have to wait a bit.

2007-06-23_15-19-00.jpg

- 3:34 PM: The last photo from the June meeting, taken while Jeff Searle, Rob Van der Borg and myself had to wait for our turn. A few more cars had to leave before Jeff could back his truck down the driveway to begin packing up. Jeff was unsure of how this photo would look against the bamboo. About ten minutes after this photo was taken we packed up rather quickly with help from Forum members Jason (ibreakforpalms) and Tony Sabeh (PalmTone).

2007-06-23_15-34-04.jpg

During the meeting, Jason had invited us to his place to view his collection. A welcomed invite, since we do not know when we would be up this way again. After we packed up, we followed Jason over to his residence, via a pleasant drive down the Intercoastal.

This trip became our Central Florida P&CS June Meeting "Post Tour"...

Ryan

South Florida

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society June Meeting "Post Tour"

(a few minutes later)

The Jason (ibreakforpalms) Collection, Sebastian Florida

A short jaunt down the Intercoastal led us to the residence of Forum member Jason (ibreakforpalms). When we arrived, we were amazed at the selection of tropical palms and plants he had growing in his yard. As we began to walk around we could tell this place belonged to a true palm fanatic. He has a budding collection, but it is well on its way to becoming a stellar group of plants. He has a great plan for his yard, including the mixture of many plant families. He has one secret working well in his landscape, providing a fertile environment for his various palms, tropical trees and plants. I won't reveal it here. :D If I could only type one more major note, I would have to say Jason has the best collection of coconut palm varieties I have seen in decades. I lost count on how many he has growing in his collection, but it is clearly more than anywhere else I have seen lately.

- 4:20 PM: Jason's front yard, as seen from his driveway. Dominating the entire area is a elegantly robust Bismarck Palm, Bismarckia nobilis. The photo doesn't do it justice, it is quite large. On the left is a Triple Christmas Palm, Adonidia merrillii neighbored by a small Orange Bird-of-Paradise, Strelitzia reginae. To the left of the Bismarck Palm, is a newly flushing Shaving-Brush Tree, Pseudobombax ellipticum and a Yellow Malayan Coconut, Cocos nucifera cv. 'Yellow Malayan'.

2007-06-23_16-20-36.jpg

- The tour begins. Forum member and tour guide Jason (ibreakforpalms) leads us around his yard pointing out and naming everything. Rob Van der Borg (Borgy230) on the right, listens along with Jeff Searle and Tony Sabeh (PalmTone) who is in the background.

2007-06-23_16-21-04.jpg

- Touch with your eyes. The brilliant-red new flush of growth covering the Shaving-Brush Tree, Pseudobombax ellipticum. It really was as soft as it looks.

2007-06-23_16-22-04.jpg

- Same tree as above, shot in a wider view. The whole tree was erupting in growth. Jason had stated it had grown quite a bit in a short amount of time.

2007-06-23_16-22-18.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The same area as above, shot from near the street. Almost got run over getting this photo. The view was very impressive, Jason has designed his yard very well.

2007-06-23_16-23-54.jpg

- Inbetween two coconut palms resides this popular aroid, Alocasia sp. 'Borneo Giant'.

2007-06-23_16-26-18.jpg

- A well-hidden cycad, at least until it gets larger. Encephalartos princeps.

2007-06-23_16-27-40.jpg

- Cordylines make excellent companion plants for palms and ornamental trees. They add color quite easily. I didn't get the name of this cultivar. Jason, can you post the name?

2007-06-23_16-27-54.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

(Palmarum @ Jun. 30 2007,19:35)

Jason, can you post the name?

2007-06-23_16-27-54.jpg

Ryan

That one's Cordyline sp. 'Rebecca'.

Jason

Sebastian, Florida USA

Zone 9B/10A

- A very popular bromeliad, one of two Alcantarea imperialis that borders Jason's entryway. If it looks familiar, it is because it has been posted before. It was seen recently in the Tropical Looking Plants forum, posted by Jason in the topic of the same name.

2007-06-23_16-30-32.jpg

- The tour moved on, through Jason's home and into the backyard. We traced along the side of the house, going over each of those croton varieties. Then we rounded the corner along the fence and came back this way. Jason (ibreakforpalms) knows everything in his yard very well. Jeff Searle was happy to see that the tropicals were thriving in his yard, this far north.

2007-06-23_16-37-36.jpg

- One of my favorite coconut varieties, if not my all-time favorite. The Samoan Dwarf Coconut, Cocos nucifera var. 'Samoan Dwarf'.

2007-06-23_16-40-32.jpg

- A very rare banana to be found anywhere, in any collection, the variegated Ae-Ae, Musa x paradisiaca cv. Ae-Ae

2007-06-23_16-41-02.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

More great photos except for the one I'm in.

- I can taste mango just from looking at the photo. A bunch of Kent, Mangifera indica cv. 'Kent', mangoes getting ready to be eaten, if they haven't been eaten already. One of my personal fav's when it comes to mango cultivars. Also makes an attractive medium-sized tree when its full of fruit.

2007-06-23_16-42-20.jpg

- We briefly left Jason's yard and walked through his neighbor Tony Sabeh's (PalmTone) place. This is a peculiar triple coconut that seems to consist of three different varieties.

2007-06-23_16-47-14.jpg

- In the back corner resides this very bushy and healthy Fig Tree, Ficus carica. It is rare to see a Fig tree look this good down south in my area. If I were to guess I would say it is a Brown Turkey cultivar.

2007-06-23_16-47-38.jpg

- The last photo of the post tour, and the last one of the day. At least of the batch I will post anyway. Another Alocasia sp. 'Borneo Giant' plant, but much larger than the first, planted out near the driveway. This one has begun to flower.

2007-06-23_17-01-20.jpg

A big thanks goes out to Jason for inviting Jeff, Rob and myself to visit his home. I always enjoy exploring collections, nurseries, and gardens belonging to fellow palm enthusiasts.

Ryan

----<

South Florida

Ray, Tampa · Posted on Jun. 30 2007,20:46

More great photos except for the one I'm in.

I think it came out good, makes for a much better Ray Hernandez photo than some of the other ones I have.  :laugh:

Ryan

South Florida

No more, please.

(Ray, Tampa @ Jun. 30 2007,21:03)

No more, please.

Ray,

Now you know how I feel!!!! The price I pay for having a friend that not only is addicted to palms like all of us, but also took a class in "paparazzi" .

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the pics and explanation Ryan.

I must say though, is anyone else not sure about that E. princeps?  From the ones I have seen, especially of that size, a main characteristic is a "V" to the rachis and blue in color! ???