Jump to content
RJ

Is there a [(J X B) X Q]

Recommended Posts

Tropicdoc
On 5/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Gallop said:

Here is my Jubutiagrus for comparison.

3BA14FB0-D5C6-406A-BE18-89D25660842C.jpeg

4A133CFB-BCE1-4B63-9517-DF2E1B0B9434.jpeg

:yay:

Wow!!!! Good to hear from you Gallop!

Thats awesome! Is that from Schafer? I have 2 from him.

BTW hows the B x PJC doing?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

I think Patric(k) only sells (BxJ)xS as he uses the BxJ from Dick Douglas garden, anyone else confirm this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
5 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

I think Patric(k) only sells (BxJ)xS as he uses the BxJ from Dick Douglas garden, anyone else confirm this?

If he makes it he doesn't have any available. He does have regular JxB for sale 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution
14 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

I think Patric(k) only sells (BxJ)xS as he uses the BxJ from Dick Douglas garden, anyone else confirm this?

@8B palms I don't know what Patric sells now, I do however have a (BxJ)xS on its way to me originally from him roughly 5 years ago. 

I have been unable to find any consistent information on this specific hybrid, but less the ones Patric created. 

@OC2Texaspalmlvr If you know of anything about (BxJ)xS from him can you let me know?

I do not want to highjack this thread. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyt

I dont know all that science, but I do know that Patrick is selling (BXJ) X S. roman., cuz I just bought one from him.    Also got a J X B yatay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
6 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I dont know all that science, but I do know that Patrick is selling (BXJ) X S. roman., cuz I just bought one from him.    Also got a J X B yatay.

I'm in the same boat got both of these en route as we speak =) 

 

27 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

 If you know of anything about (BxJ)xS from him can you let me know?

I do not want to highjack this thread

maybe we can coax @Ben in Norcal to shed some light on these as Patrik uses his garden for some of his hybridization =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

I have an order placed for a few hybrids palms from him currently and I asked him if he every generated (JxB) xS and he said never as he doesn't have access to a JxB only to the BxJ in Dick Douglas's garden. Now as to weather he did this a while back I can't speak to that. Possibly other people on the forum are better able to comment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
30 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

I have an order placed for a few hybrids palms from him currently and I asked him if he every generated (JxB) xS and he said never as he doesn't have access to a JxB only to the BxJ in Dick Douglas's garden. Now as to weather he did this a while back I can't speak to that. Possibly other people on the forum are better able to comment. 

Sounds like good information =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyt

The mystery of the Bigfoot Palm(JXB)XQ remains.......  Does it really exist or just a hoax? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
35 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

The mystery of the Bigfoot Palm(JXB)XQ remains.......  Does it really exist or just a hoax? :huh:

There are being worked on, below is (JxB)xQ 

 

D14CE080-3247-4CAD-919B-650ECB692557.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

Gallop, has your Jubutiagrus ever flowered and set fruit, do you think it might be viable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyt
57 minutes ago, RJ said:

There are being worked on, below is (JxB)xQ 

 

D14CE080-3247-4CAD-919B-650ECB692557.jpeg

Ah Ha!  Traces of the Bigfoot palm!  If we can now just capture one! :drool:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
7 hours ago, 8B palms said:

I have an order placed for a few hybrids palms from him currently and I asked him if he every generated (JxB) xS and he said never as he doesn't have access to a JxB only to the BxJ in Dick Douglas's garden. Now as to weather he did this a while back I can't speak to that. Possibly other people on the forum are better able to comment. 

I wonder about this..... :interesting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fdrc65

This is my Tim Hoppers  Jubutiagrus, in Northern Italy, it grows faster than my Butiagrus and it looks much better

 

 

1 (6).jpg

1 (7).jpg

1 (5).jpg

1 (4).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (2).jpg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

Seems you have found the perfect spot, it seems to be doing really well. Your 3rd pic shows the nice J hooks on the tips of the frond leaflets, so the Jubaea component is still present. Do you have to provide any winter protection and also what is the lowest temperature it has seen and did you notice any damage? Awesome keep us posted on how it continues to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution
1 hour ago, 8B palms said:

Seems you have found the perfect spot, it seems to be doing really well. Your 3rd pic shows the nice J hooks on the tips of the frond leaflets, so the Jubaea component is still present. Do you have to provide any winter protection and also what is the lowest temperature it has seen and did you notice any damage? Awesome keep us posted on how it continues to do.

I am curious to know about the protection and temperature as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
On 5/15/2020 at 10:25 AM, fdrc65 said:

This is my Tim Hoppers  Jubutiagrus, in Northern Italy, it grows faster than my Butiagrus and it looks much better

I would have to agree with you looks like it will be a specimen palm sooner than later =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fdrc65
On 5/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, 8B palms said:

Seems you have found the perfect spot, it seems to be doing really well. Your 3rd pic shows the nice J hooks on the tips of the frond leaflets, so the Jubaea component is still present. Do you have to provide any winter protection and also what is the lowest temperature it has seen and did you notice any damage? Awesome keep us posted on how it continues to do.

 

On 5/16/2020 at 3:01 PM, Dartolution said:

I am curious to know about the protection and temperature as well.

 

 

The lowest temperature here has been -6° C for some hours and snow, during this event the palm was covered with protection but now it's too big and I cannot protect anymore, no damage at all.

I have a butiagrus growing close and it has some damage to the leaves in the coldest winters

Edited by fdrc65
some errors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

So my Tim Hoppers Jubutiagrus has 2 spathes emerging. The first is maybe a week ahead of the second. Not sure if these might be self fertile or not anyone care to speculat if they can set viable seed.  I also don't know if they will have enough time for seeds to mature before we could get hit with a cold spell. Here in north Florida, although new maps say zone 9a I feel we are more realistically zone 8b. Does anyone have experience with Jubutia or Bujubia setting seed if the temps dip below freezing. This is the first time it has flowered. If I am able I will try to get close ups of the flowers when they open. I snapped a couple of pics but the sun today was very strong. 

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlantDad
On 5/1/2020 at 2:46 PM, 8B palms said:

So here is a close up of the base of my jubutiagrus (Tim Hoppers) and a close up of some of the J hooks on the tips of the fronds, not all fronds display this, some taller ones are nicer but I can't reach them. 

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

That looks like a boron deficiency 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maesy

Good job!

Can you take a picture of the whole palm?

And did it also have those brown spots on the fronds after winter when it was younger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gallop

Flower bract on my Tim Hooper- Jubutiagrus

5F213CFE-64CB-4266-8C4A-C2EE5084B945.jpeg

B8C27EDC-5130-46BF-B710-50273D3D1ED3.jpeg

 

 

 

Edited by Gallop
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

Those are some nice colors looks like it could be edible. So did you get any seeds form or did they all fall of before maturing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gallop

Pics taken yesterday. Seriously doubt I’ll have any viable seed form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr

Very pretty spathe =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...