IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is there a [(J X B) X Q]

RJ

On 5/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Gallop said:

Here is my Jubutiagrus for comparison.

3BA14FB0-D5C6-406A-BE18-89D25660842C.jpeg

4A133CFB-BCE1-4B63-9517-DF2E1B0B9434.jpeg

:yay:

Wow!!!! Good to hear from you Gallop!

Thats awesome! Is that from Schafer? I have 2 from him.

BTW hows the B x PJC doing?

• Like 1

I think Patric(k) only sells (BxJ)xS as he uses the BxJ from Dick Douglas garden, anyone else confirm this?

5 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

I think Patric(k) only sells (BxJ)xS as he uses the BxJ from Dick Douglas garden, anyone else confirm this?

If he makes it he doesn't have any available. He does have regular JxB for sale 

T J 

14 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

@8B palms I don't know what Patric sells now, I do however have a (BxJ)xS on its way to me originally from him roughly 5 years ago. 

I have been unable to find any consistent information on this specific hybrid, but less the ones Patric created. 

@OC2Texaspalmlvr If you know of anything about (BxJ)xS from him can you let me know?

I do not want to highjack this thread. 

I dont know all that science, but I do know that Patrick is selling (BXJ) X S. roman., cuz I just bought one from him.    Also got a J X B yatay.

6 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I dont know all that science, but I do know that Patrick is selling (BXJ) X S. roman., cuz I just bought one from him.    Also got a J X B yatay.

I'm in the same boat got both of these en route as we speak =) 

27 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

If you know of anything about (BxJ)xS from him can you let me know?

I do not want to highjack this thread

maybe we can coax @Ben in Norcal to shed some light on these as Patrik uses his garden for some of his hybridization =) 

T J 

I have an order placed for a few hybrids palms from him currently and I asked him if he every generated (JxB) xS and he said never as he doesn't have access to a JxB only to the BxJ in Dick Douglas's garden. Now as to weather he did this a while back I can't speak to that. Possibly other people on the forum are better able to comment. 

30 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

I have an order placed for a few hybrids palms from him currently and I asked him if he every generated (JxB) xS and he said never as he doesn't have access to a JxB only to the BxJ in Dick Douglas's garden. Now as to weather he did this a while back I can't speak to that. Possibly other people on the forum are better able to comment. 

Sounds like good information =) 

T J 

The mystery of the Bigfoot Palm(JXB)XQ remains.......  Does it really exist or just a hoax? :huh:

35 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

The mystery of the Bigfoot Palm(JXB)XQ remains.......  Does it really exist or just a hoax? :huh:

There are being worked on, below is (JxB)xQ 

D14CE080-3247-4CAD-919B-650ECB692557.jpeg

• Like 2

Gallop, has your Jubutiagrus ever flowered and set fruit, do you think it might be viable?

57 minutes ago, RJ said:

There are being worked on, below is (JxB)xQ 

D14CE080-3247-4CAD-919B-650ECB692557.jpeg

Ah Ha!  Traces of the Bigfoot palm!  If we can now just capture one! :drool:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8B palms said:

I wonder about this..... :interesting:

• 2 weeks later...

This is my Tim Hoppers  Jubutiagrus, in Northern Italy, it grows faster than my Butiagrus and it looks much better

1 (6).jpg

1 (7).jpg

1 (5).jpg

1 (4).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (2).jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Seems you have found the perfect spot, it seems to be doing really well. Your 3rd pic shows the nice J hooks on the tips of the frond leaflets, so the Jubaea component is still present. Do you have to provide any winter protection and also what is the lowest temperature it has seen and did you notice any damage? Awesome keep us posted on how it continues to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8B palms said:

Seems you have found the perfect spot, it seems to be doing really well. Your 3rd pic shows the nice J hooks on the tips of the frond leaflets, so the Jubaea component is still present. Do you have to provide any winter protection and also what is the lowest temperature it has seen and did you notice any damage? Awesome keep us posted on how it continues to do.

I am curious to know about the protection and temperature as well.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:25 AM, fdrc65 said:

This is my Tim Hoppers  Jubutiagrus, in Northern Italy, it grows faster than my Butiagrus and it looks much better

I would have to agree with you looks like it will be a specimen palm sooner than later =) 

T J 

On 5/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, 8B palms said:

On 5/16/2020 at 3:01 PM, Dartolution said:

I am curious to know about the protection and temperature as well.

The lowest temperature here has been -6° C for some hours and snow, during this event the palm was covered with protection but now it's too big and I cannot protect anymore, no damage at all.

I have a butiagrus growing close and it has some damage to the leaves in the coldest winters

Edited by fdrc65
some errors

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

• 4 months later...

So my Tim Hoppers Jubutiagrus has 2 spathes emerging. The first is maybe a week ahead of the second. Not sure if these might be self fertile or not anyone care to speculat if they can set viable seed.  I also don't know if they will have enough time for seeds to mature before we could get hit with a cold spell. Here in north Florida, although new maps say zone 9a I feel we are more realistically zone 8b. Does anyone have experience with Jubutia or Bujubia setting seed if the temps dip below freezing. This is the first time it has flowered. If I am able I will try to get close ups of the flowers when they open. I snapped a couple of pics but the sun today was very strong. 

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 2:46 PM, 8B palms said:

So here is a close up of the base of my jubutiagrus (Tim Hoppers) and a close up of some of the J hooks on the tips of the fronds, not all fronds display this, some taller ones are nicer but I can't reach them. 

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

That looks like a boron deficiency 

Good job!

Can you take a picture of the whole palm?

And did it also have those brown spots on the fronds after winter when it was younger?