Sign in to follow this  
The Silent Seed

TRULY cold hardy palms ? For zone 6 ?

The Silent Seed

Has anybody consistently grown palms outside, in zone 6, without cheating? By cheating, I mean building structures around them,

or wrapping them, or heating them, etc. 

kinzyjr

If they have, it's a very well established Sabal minor or Rhapidophyllum hystrix in a place with long, hot summers.  @Keith in SoJax had some growing up in southern IL close to the MO side of the state.  You can see it here: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47697-washingtonia-robusta/&tab=comments#comment-731940

• Like 1

Allen

Established Sabal minor or Needle palm as stated above should survive.  In zone 6 all trunking palms (Trachycarpus) will need Christmas lights during periods of roughly 10-12F and below.  7B is the lowest zone which may grow Trachy unprotected.  Even then a record cold year could get them.  

• Like 1

Matt N- Dallas

I planted ‘mc curtain county’ sabal minor in Kansas City, Missouri z6 more than 20 years ago.  They have grown to adult hood and seed most years.  Some years they get foliage burn, but always bounce back.  I’ve found long duration cold has been more damaging than ultimate lows.  

• Like 2

Rickybobby

I live in 6b but it can stay in negatives celsius for a month sometimes. So is there such thing a warm zone 6 and a cold one?

The Silent Seed

Great info guys! Matt; Wouldn't MO fall under the category of a long, tough winter? Sounds like McCurtain could be worth a try for me. 

(Did you choose the McCurtain locale for this reason, or was it luck?) 

JHarris
On 9/13/2019 at 11:52 AM, The Silent Seed said:

Has anybody consistently grown palms outside, in zone 6, without cheating? By cheating, I mean building structures around them,

or wrapping them, or heating them, etc. 

Plant trachies along foundation of your house.

Youll never have to winterize!

kinzyjr
On 9/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Rickybobby said:

I live in 6b but it can stay in negatives celsius for a month sometimes. So is there such thing a warm zone 6 and a cold one?

Yes.  Example of a Cold Zone: The inside of a refrigerator is technically USDA zone 10. 

USDA Zones are guidelines, but they only capture the average lowest temperature, not the duration of the cold, humidity, days above 85F or other factors.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, The Silent Seed said:

Great info guys! Matt; Wouldn't MO fall under the category of a long, tough winter? Sounds like McCurtain could be worth a try for me. 

(Did you choose the McCurtain locale for this reason, or was it luck?) 

Technically, not out of the realm of possibility.  I have heard there are specimens on Cape Cod and Nantucket.  I know there were specimens growing in the Philadelphia area: https://www.bg-map.com/hardiplm.html

If you do try one, you'll definitely want one of the hardier cultivars.  The 'McCurtain' cultivar from SE Oklahoma is very hardy, but may be unseated as the hardiest by 'Cherokee' from the Weiss Lake are in northern Alabama.   There is also a hardy cultivar from southern Arkansas that tends to grow larger and more robust than 'McCurtain' or 'Cherokee' from what I have read.  One consideration is that Kansas City has hotter summers.

20190916_WeatherCompMOMA.png

TexasColdHardyPalms

I grow thousands of Cherokee and McCurtain sabals and northern sourced needles every year if you want to give them a try.  There have been several threads with habitat pictures of the seed that I grow.

• Like 1

NC_Palms

Since you are in the Northeast, Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum hystrix are your best bet.  

When I used to live in 6b Pennsylvania, I grew a windmill but I always protected it in the winter. 

DAVEinMB
3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Yes.  Example of a Cold Zone: The inside of a refrigerator is technically USDA zone 10. 

I love this analogy. 

Overlaying heat and hardiness zone maps should give you a better idea of how a palm may do in a particular area.

The Silent Seed

Thank you guys for your input! I'm sure it would be better to source some of these palms in the spring, not the fall, to give them a head start? 

Amazing that a refrigerator is zone 10 - makes sense of course - but fun fact for sure! 

jfrye01@live.com

Finally something I can give input on! ;) I live just outside of Wichita, KS, zone 6b...and I agree with what others have said, long hot summers are the greatest factor to palm survival in this climate.  Here I have attached some pictures of palms that are growing around town here, no protection...best of luck to you! 

Sabal Louisiana grove at a church downtown: 

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Sabal palmetto (be warned, this one is likely not long term hardy, however, it has been in the ground for several years!) 

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

T. Fortunei, up against a wall: 

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and natureImage may contain: plant and outdoor

And of course, the king of the hardy palms, Rhapidophyllum: 

Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant

• Like 3