IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

TRULY cold hardy palms ? For zone 6 ?

The Silent Seed

Has anybody consistently grown palms outside, in zone 6, without cheating? By cheating, I mean building structures around them,

or wrapping them, or heating them, etc. 

If they have, it's a very well established Sabal minor or Rhapidophyllum hystrix in a place with long, hot summers.  @Keith in SoJax had some growing up in southern IL close to the MO side of the state.  You can see it here: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47697-washingtonia-robusta/&tab=comments#comment-731940

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Established Sabal minor or Needle palm as stated above should survive.  In zone 6 all trunking palms (Trachycarpus) will need Christmas lights during periods of roughly 10-12F and below.  7B is the lowest zone which may grow Trachy unprotected.  Even then a record cold year could get them.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I planted ‘mc curtain county’ sabal minor in Kansas City, Missouri z6 more than 20 years ago.  They have grown to adult hood and seed most years.  Some years they get foliage burn, but always bounce back.  I’ve found long duration cold has been more damaging than ultimate lows.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great info guys! Matt; Wouldn't MO fall under the category of a long, tough winter? Sounds like McCurtain could be worth a try for me. 

(Did you choose the McCurtain locale for this reason, or was it luck?) 

On 9/13/2019 at 11:52 AM, The Silent Seed said:

Has anybody consistently grown palms outside, in zone 6, without cheating? By cheating, I mean building structures around them,

Plant trachies along foundation of your house.

Youll never have to winterize!

Jim Harris

On 9/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Rickybobby said:

I live in 6b but it can stay in negatives celsius for a month sometimes. So is there such thing a warm zone 6 and a cold one?

Yes.  Example of a Cold Zone: The inside of a refrigerator is technically USDA zone 10. 

USDA Zones are guidelines, but they only capture the average lowest temperature, not the duration of the cold, humidity, days above 85F or other factors.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, The Silent Seed said:

Great info guys! Matt; Wouldn't MO fall under the category of a long, tough winter? Sounds like McCurtain could be worth a try for me. 

(Did you choose the McCurtain locale for this reason, or was it luck?) 

Technically, not out of the realm of possibility.  I have heard there are specimens on Cape Cod and Nantucket.  I know there were specimens growing in the Philadelphia area: https://www.bg-map.com/hardiplm.html

If you do try one, you'll definitely want one of the hardier cultivars.  The 'McCurtain' cultivar from SE Oklahoma is very hardy, but may be unseated as the hardiest by 'Cherokee' from the Weiss Lake are in northern Alabama.   There is also a hardy cultivar from southern Arkansas that tends to grow larger and more robust than 'McCurtain' or 'Cherokee' from what I have read.  One consideration is that Kansas City has hotter summers.

20190916_WeatherCompMOMA.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I grow thousands of Cherokee and McCurtain sabals and northern sourced needles every year if you want to give them a try.  There have been several threads with habitat pictures of the seed that I grow.

• Like 1

Since you are in the Northeast, Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum hystrix are your best bet.  

When I used to live in 6b Pennsylvania, I grew a windmill but I always protected it in the winter. 

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Yes.  Example of a Cold Zone: The inside of a refrigerator is technically USDA zone 10. 

I love this analogy. 

Overlaying heat and hardiness zone maps should give you a better idea of how a palm may do in a particular area.

Thank you guys for your input! I'm sure it would be better to source some of these palms in the spring, not the fall, to give them a head start? 

Amazing that a refrigerator is zone 10 - makes sense of course - but fun fact for sure! 

Finally something I can give input on! ;) I live just outside of Wichita, KS, zone 6b...and I agree with what others have said, long hot summers are the greatest factor to palm survival in this climate.  Here I have attached some pictures of palms that are growing around town here, no protection...best of luck to you! 

Sabal Louisiana grove at a church downtown: 

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Sabal palmetto (be warned, this one is likely not long term hardy, however, it has been in the ground for several years!) 

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

T. Fortunei, up against a wall: 

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and natureImage may contain: plant and outdoor

And of course, the king of the hardy palms, Rhapidophyllum: 

Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant

• Like 4

El_Dorado.gif

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Palm Lord said:

When you say long, hot summers how long do you mean? It stayed between 27°F and 82°F in my 8B microclimate all year and most of the year it was below 60. 

To me long hot summers are summers with temps constantly in the 90’s and nights no lower then say 65. 

What @RJ says. Palm Lord, it would help a lot if you put in your profile state in which you live.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

none a needle has a low chance of where you live all it takes is a freak winter to take it out any palm where you live will die without protection 

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

These have been in place in a 6b for nearly 30 years. Never seen an protected. 4 year old pic. These palms saw 2 back to back nights of -11f in 2011. Corrales, NM 4970'

20160830_112624.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Rickybobby said:

I live in 6b but it can stay in negatives celsius for a month sometimes. So is there such thing a warm zone 6 and a cold one?

A cold zone 6 would be in Montreal, the best microclimates around downtown just barely reach zone 6a.

Nothing to say here. 

20 hours ago, jwitt said:

These have been in place in a 6b for nearly 30 years. Never seen an protected. 4 year old pic. These palms saw 2 back to back nights of -11f in 2011. Corrales, NM 4970'

20160830_112624.jpg

Yeah, but New Mexico is a dry climate. In the east, w. filifera are only hardy to zone 8a.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to say here. 

1 hour ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Yeah, but New Mexico is a dry climate. In the east, w. filifera are only hardy to zone 8a.

While your statement is true, the palms pictured sit in a water table of less than 5 feet. Meaning their roots are permanently wet. 

And if it were due to the "dry" climate, I think you would see filifera in higher  zonal (dry)climates like Lubbock, Reno, SLC in addition to Corrales, NM.  But you don't.

I believe the reason you don't is the amount of winter solar insolation found in NM. Highest in the nation! Probably why the filifera here are the world record holders for cold endurance.  Other palms included.  

One little bit of side of info, those back to back nights of -11f were preceded by rain, then snow, and wind(like most Arctic events here).  Meaning the crowns were wet then froze while the roots remained waterlogged.  Not truly dry!

High elevation solar radiation and palm trunk mass is the key here. 

Outside of this high elevation region(ABQ-EL PASO-DOUGLAS AZ) I can not find large, 20+year, established filifera. 

Not insinuating dry climate does not help, but there are other things in play.

One would be the extended freezes in DFW compared to Corrales.  Huge difference! Although DFW is 2 zones warmer. 

In the east, a telephone pole is cold on a 32f sunny day. That same pole is warm on a 20f sunny day here. In my opinion, that is the major difference.

Just my thoughts. 

On a side note, hidden in that lawn is a med palm and a trachy by the house.  Also outside of Corrales, the water table in the rest of NM is measured as non existent or in the hundreds of feet for the most part. 

Edited by jwitt
Word correction
  • Upvote 1

On 9/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, The Silent Seed said:

In Corrales NM(ZONE 6B) palms(trachyc/filifera) have been grown for about 25 years unprotected.  Some pix and charts confirming the zone.  Results in other zone 6b's may very.   On a side note, I know of robustas and P. Dact in a 7b.  For now, we'll stick with zone 6.

20160830_112720.jpg

20160830_112641.jpg

20160830_112626.jpg

Capture _2016-09-04-23-15-14.png

chart.jpg

Capture _2016-09-04-23-09-03.png

On 2/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, Palm Lord said:

You definitely well in zone 6a! I live on Cedar Point Island, Ohio zone 6b but there are 8b microclimates here. I have a windmill palm tree here in 7b microclimate and it lived for 6 years before it died at 5 degrees Fahrenheit. It is hard to imagine a Windmill Palm in 6A or 6B without protection even if up against the building.

Check out my Cincinnati palms posts

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Palm Lord said:

I bet there are lots of needle palms and maybe protected Sabal minors. I mean, there is 8B in Western Iceland and South West Ireland is 10A. Don't even get me started on the sub tropical rainforest in Greenland.

There are some Needle palms, sabal minor, and even a few sabal Louisiana there aren't protected with anymore than good siting. All of my Needle, sabal minor mc curtain, sabal Louisiana all made it through this vortex just fine!

22 hours ago, Palm Lord said:

I bet there are lots of needle palms and maybe protected Sabal minors. I mean, there is 8B in Western Iceland and South West Ireland is 10A. Don't even get me started on the sub tropical rainforest in Greenland.

That must be a sub-sub-sub-subtropical rainforest! Maybe a boreal rainforest?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, jwitt said:

While your statement is true, the palms pictured sit in a water table of less than 5 feet. Meaning their roots are permanently wet. 

And if it were due to the "dry" climate, I think you would see filifera in higher  zonal (dry)climates like Lubbock, Reno, SLC in addition to Corrales, NM.  But you don't.

I believe the reason you don't is the amount of winter solar insolation found in NM. Highest in the nation! Probably why the filifera here are the world record holders for cold endurance.  Other palms included.  

One little bit of side of info, those back to back nights of -11f were preceded by rain, then snow, and wind(like most Arctic events here).  Meaning the crowns were wet then froze while the roots remained waterlogged.  Not truly dry!

High elevation solar radiation and palm trunk mass is the key here. 

Outside of this high elevation region(ABQ-EL PASO-DOUGLAS AZ) I can not find large, 20+year, established filifera. 

Not insinuating dry climate does not help, but there are other things in play.

One would be the extended freezes in DFW compared to Corrales.  Huge difference! Although DFW is 2 zones warmer. 

In the east, a telephone pole is cold on a 32f sunny day. That same pole is warm on a 20f sunny day here. In my opinion, that is the major difference.

Just my thoughts. 

On a side note, hidden in that lawn is a med palm and a trachy by the house.  Also outside of Corrales, the water table in the rest of NM is measured as non existent or in the hundreds of feet for the most part. 

One of the members posted a filifera in Lubbock in another forum. Also, Reno and SLC are alot further north, so the freezes are more durated. But you're right otherwise.

Edited by EastCanadaTropicals

Nothing to say here. 

On 2/20/2021 at 1:04 PM, Palm Lord said:

Subtropical rain forest in greenland?!

• Upvote 1

Nothing to say here. 

3 hours ago, RaleighNC said:

No native subtropical forest in Greenland, that is absolute BS.

Edited by EastCanadaTropicals
  • Upvote 1

Nothing to say here. 

3 hours ago, RaleighNC said:

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Yeah, that rainforest in Greenland would have to be boreal or (extremely cold) temperate rainforest.

It's only a taiga. No Rainforests in Greenland.

Nothing to say here. 

Anyone know of success stories around Maine? I have three needle palm plants planted at various times and so far show minor damage in some fonds and spear pull in one. I have successfully grown a larger windmill palm by utilizing a wooden structure with a couple sheets of Lexand glass around it to make a micro climate or enclose the palm from winds in extreme cold weather. Currently trying sable minor this upcoming year and even planted a cabbage palm next to our foundation on the sunny side of our house. Curious what success others have had here in Maine

853ABBAC-25F4-41C3-821F-3F439BCC10AA.jpeg

D287AB82-B7B4-45F4-A237-0746D9228FC3.jpeg

000B949F-E93A-4A12-8E2D-1CB75C4ADB0A.jpeg

7134BCFD-EE14-49EF-B691-76923A6EE2DB.jpeg

Edited by Brandon James
  • Upvote 1

Whether plants have been rained on or snow or whatever

the abundant sunshine and low humidity give the palms a chance to get the

upper hand in recovering....when there is rot you have fungal infections and these can

outgrow the plants ability to recover....I had a Bizzy survive 20F in a pot once on the porch....

brought inside into the house this plant had been bone dry for a month outside and inside after ....the spear

never pulled, it just broke in half once it grew out but that was it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brandon James said:

Anyone know of success stories around Maine? I have three needle palm plants planted at various times and so far show minor damage in some fonds and spear pull in one. I have successfully grown a larger windmill palm by utilizing a wooden structure with a couple sheets of Lexand glass around it to make a micro climate or enclose the palm from winds in extreme cold weather. Currently trying sable minor this upcoming year and even planted a cabbage palm next to our foundation on the sunny side of our house. Curious what success others have had here in Maine

853ABBAC-25F4-41C3-821F-3F439BCC10AA.jpeg

D287AB82-B7B4-45F4-A237-0746D9228FC3.jpeg

000B949F-E93A-4A12-8E2D-1CB75C4ADB0A.jpeg

7134BCFD-EE14-49EF-B691-76923A6EE2DB.jpeg

First I've heard about from Maine! Impressive! I've  often thought lexan or glass over a palm would help(keep liquid off, but allow solar radiation.  Pretty cool what can be done in different places. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 3:41 AM, jwitt said:

In Corrales NM(ZONE 6B) palms(trachyc/filifera) have been grown for about 25 years unprotected.  Some pix and charts confirming the zone.  Results in other zone 6b's may very.   On a side note, I know of robustas and P. Dact in a 7b.  For now, we'll stick with zone 6.

20160830_112720.jpg

20160830_112641.jpg

20160830_112626.jpg

Capture _2016-09-04-23-15-14.png

chart.jpg

Capture _2016-09-04-23-09-03.png

From the USDA zone map, it identifies Corrales NM as zone 7B.

Your charts do indicate a zone 6 possibility, but the fact you have ease growing trunking palms points me towards the idea that it is more realistically a zone 7B with quick touches of zone 6 cold (during the night).

~ I'd rather be on the beach ~

2 hours ago, LouisvillePalmer said:

From the USDA zone map, it identifies Corrales NM as zone 7B.

Your charts do indicate a zone 6 possibility, but the fact you have ease growing trunking palms points me towards the idea that it is more realistically a zone 7B with quick touches of zone 6 cold (during the night).

So we define zone rating by plants that are able to grow, or we go by national weather service statistics with 30 year average minimum annual average extreme?  

Albuquerque(the city) has the second most climate(zones) in the US of any city. Los Angeles is number 1.  The zone map does not show this.  I live in a 7b, called Corrales Heights.  In fact, I can go into Corrales proper in the morning(a matter of 2 miles) and see a 10f drop and 3-4f rise in the afternoon. Weird.

This kind of also proves it:

Average growing season days:

Corrales Heights/Albuquerque=220

Corrales=160

80 day difference

There are parts of Corrales that are 7b. There are parts that are 6b if using the method used for defining USDA plant hardiness zones as I have undeniably proven.

Edited by jwitt

Location Average Days
Albuquerque Sunport 210
Albuquerque Foothills 193
Albuquerque South Valley 187
Sandia Park (inactive station) 174
Los Lunas 3 SSW 171
Corrales 161
Moriarty 144

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 2:52 PM, The Silent Seed said:

look at my cincinnati palms posts