• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

My Needle Palm went from smaller fronds to big fronds over the summer, look at the size of them, and they'll get much bigger! I had to hold the camera way up to get the whole frond in the picture! 

20190912_184858.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 13

PalmTreeDude

Very cool I planted one here this year also but I'm scared how big they can get.  Pics of ones here in Nashville area are super huge and need a 8' circle.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

10 minutes ago, Allen said:

Very cool I planted one here this year also but I'm scared how big they can get.  Pics of ones here in Nashville area are super huge and need a 8' circle.  

I'm hesitant to plant one for the same reason. I pass one on my daily commute that's 8-10' tall and just as wide.  I'll see if I can get a pic of it. 

Very beautiful palm species. They can be trimmed/thinned.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Anyone got pics of some of these larger specimens you're seeing? I'm strongly considering planting mature ones to line my back fence for a privacy hedge that will stay evergreen. It's shaded from tree canopy 30ft above it so still gets a fair bit of sun and think they will do great. I've only seen them to about 5ft but would be perfect if they can get closer to 7+

@PalmTreeDude looking good.  I just measured my largest (first pic) after seeing this and the fronds are about 3.5' in width.  It's just over 6' in height with the clump just over 8' ft in diameter, and it's not quite 10 years after planting from one of those little blue pots (if I remember correctly). 

@Trent I took the second pic in Raleigh, NC.  I want to say these were at least 8' in overall height. They were definitely over 6'. I think they could make a decent privacy screen.

0913191818a.jpg

0606192018.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

16 hours ago, Trent said:

Anyone got pics of some of these larger specimens you're seeing? I'm strongly considering planting mature ones to line my back fence for a privacy hedge that will stay evergreen. It's shaded from tree canopy 30ft above it so still gets a fair bit of sun and think they will do great. I've only seen them to about 5ft but would be perfect if they can get closer to 7+

I'll try to post a pic this coming week. Was monsooning omw home from work Friday

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Here is one at Busch Gardens In VA. 

20180829_123436.jpg

They are definitely good looking bush palms. Now this thread has me thinking of where I could put one and let it get unruly haha.

That seals the deal on my decision to use them as a privacy hedge. They will look awesome! Now to stockpile the resources and hopefully get them in the ground in the spring!

• 2 months later...

Could I ask, under what conditions do needle palms seem to thrive?

I planted mine about a year ago and it seems to have stalled. It gets about half a day of sun with some high shade relief from a live oak late in the afternoon. My best guess is that this year we had an unusually hot and dry summer. Or am I just being a little impatient?

Edited by Manalto

4 hours ago, Manalto said:

Could I ask, under what conditions do needle palms seem to thrive?

I planted mine about a year ago and it seems to have stalled. It gets about half a day of sun with some high shade relief from a live oak late in the afternoon. My best guess is that this year we had an unusually hot and dry summer. Or am I just being a little impatient?

They tend to like part sun and perpetually moist conditions in southern locales.  In higher latitudes, I'm told they like more sun.  They're not going to win a race for the fastest growing palm, though.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone (2012): 9b | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (1985, 1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a | 30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

This is an old picture of one around my area I found on the web. I think early or mid 2000s.

5c36347063527_needlepalm2004.thumb.PNG.d284c06fc76c29a190c14f64527f7f13.PNG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:09 AM, kinzyjr said:

They tend to like part sun and perpetually moist conditions in southern locales.  In higher latitudes, I'm told they like more sun.  They're not going to win a race for the fastest growing palm, though.

Thanks, Kinzy. I have heard, however, that their reputation for being glacially slow is undeserved, especially under good growing conditions.

• Like 1