Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Needle Palm Fronds Getting Big!

PalmTreeDude

My Needle Palm went from smaller fronds to big fronds over the summer, look at the size of them, and they'll get much bigger! I had to hold the camera way up to get the whole frond in the picture! 

20190912_184858.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 11

Allen

Very cool I planted one here this year also but I'm scared how big they can get.  Pics of ones here in Nashville area are super huge and need a 8' circle.  

DAVEinMB
10 minutes ago, Allen said:

Very cool I planted one here this year also but I'm scared how big they can get.  Pics of ones here in Nashville area are super huge and need a 8' circle.  

I'm hesitant to plant one for the same reason. I pass one on my daily commute that's 8-10' tall and just as wide.  I'll see if I can get a pic of it. 

PalmatierMeg

Very beautiful palm species. They can be trimmed/thinned.

Trent

Anyone got pics of some of these larger specimens you're seeing? I'm strongly considering planting mature ones to line my back fence for a privacy hedge that will stay evergreen. It's shaded from tree canopy 30ft above it so still gets a fair bit of sun and think they will do great. I've only seen them to about 5ft but would be perfect if they can get closer to 7+

SEVA

@PalmTreeDude looking good.  I just measured my largest (first pic) after seeing this and the fronds are about 3.5' in width.  It's just over 6' in height with the clump just over 8' ft in diameter, and it's not quite 10 years after planting from one of those little blue pots (if I remember correctly). 

@Trent I took the second pic in Raleigh, NC.  I want to say these were at least 8' in overall height. They were definitely over 6'. I think they could make a decent privacy screen.

0913191818a.jpg

0606192018.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DAVEinMB
16 hours ago, Trent said:

Anyone got pics of some of these larger specimens you're seeing? I'm strongly considering planting mature ones to line my back fence for a privacy hedge that will stay evergreen. It's shaded from tree canopy 30ft above it so still gets a fair bit of sun and think they will do great. I've only seen them to about 5ft but would be perfect if they can get closer to 7+

I'll try to post a pic this coming week. Was monsooning omw home from work Friday

• Like 1

DAVEinMB

Here ya go. 

Looks like they tried trimming it at the base. 

20190916_163818.jpg

• Like 3

PalmTreeDude

Here is one at Busch Gardens In VA. 

20180829_123436.jpg

• Like 1

DAVEinMB
11 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Here is one at Busch Gardens In VA. 

20180829_123436.jpg

They are definitely good looking bush palms. Now this thread has me thinking of where I could put one and let it get unruly haha.

Trent

That seals the deal on my decision to use them as a privacy hedge. They will look awesome! Now to stockpile the resources and hopefully get them in the ground in the spring!