IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenicophorium Borsigianum as a house plant

Reynevan

Hi there:)

Anyone has tried to grow Phoenicophorium Borsigianum indoors? I've recently found it on Palmpedia. Seems to be Verschaffeltia look-alike. I wonder how do they germinate and if they could be grown in a pot.

Rafal

Hello,

I have four one-leafer seedlings in pots right now with the second leaf on the way. Culture seems similar to Verschaffeltia, though these definitely seem slower growing and have less spines at this stage. Here's a pic to give you an idea:

borsig2.thumb.jpg.e1689ded64307c1e4a4a71ffeeebfb50.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, zoli said:

Hello,

I have four one-leafer seedlings in pots right now with the second leaf on the way. Culture seems similar to Verschaffeltia, though these definitely seem slower growing and have less spines at this stage. Here's a pic to give you an idea:

borsig2.thumb.jpg.e1689ded64307c1e4a4a71ffeeebfb50.jpg

Bump

Anyone else growing one as indoor/out potted palm? 

22 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

I have some. Mine look different. Smaller with more orange spots and black spines. 

what size are they? Are the stems bright orange?

Orange spots looks to be more common. There is a maroon colored new leaf also. 

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

what size are they? Are the stems bright orange?

Orange spots looks to be more common. There is a maroon colored new leaf also. 

Leaves the size of my finger. One pair of thin black needle-spines.

16334856367109066956408963567092.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Leaves the size of my finger. One pair of thin black needle-spines.

16334856367109066956408963567092.jpg

Looks awesome man, I like all the orange on it. Yeah those spines are going to be cool but deadly in the future. :D

Looks like you got some cool plants in the background too. 

Thanks for sharing! 

I'll take a pic of mine when I get back in town next week. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

Here is mine, not as much orange on the leaves but those thorns....ouch! Maybe mine needs iron to get the orange?

IMG-1660-1.JPG

IMG-1670.JPG

• Like 3

I'm not 100% sure but I think these get more orange spots with more sun and heat. I definitely saw more orange and bright colors with my hyophorbes, for example: 

The first has been kept in a cool blinded west-facing window with a grow light. Dark green leaves.  The rest of the same age seedlings put in strong sunlight in a east + south corner turned the others bright orange and they grew much faster.

20211006_183021.jpg

20211004_064949.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Here is mine, not as much orange on the leaves but those thorns....ouch! Maybe mine needs iron to get the orange?

IMG-1660-1.JPG

IMG-1670.JPG

Probably a bad idea to put these in much sun, but mine pictured above is in a hot sunny spot with several barriers for partial cover. Any more exposure and they'd be crispy-critters quick I think.

• Like 1

Yeah, your palms are looking good and healthy.  I have the P.B., under some grow light, but will lower the lamp in November to see if it will get orange. It's growing in a room were the nights and day  temps are pretty close to each other around 70F.  I thought about getting one of those mini humidifier that you put inside the pot.  It will get lots of heat come June in the greenhouse and Sept. So it will be in the house for 8 months of the year under lights. Like you said maybe a little more filter sun and heat will change the leaf color. 

Your other plants look good, lots of tropical stuff I see. The tropical palms do look very green, excellent color.

P.B. will be the most tropical palm I have ever tried.  It will go inside the unheated greenhouse in June and Sept. and July and Aug. will be in the shade garden with very little wind. 

But I still like to know if I should give some iron come spring? Anyone have a comment on this? 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Bumping an ancient thread to see how these are still doing indoors.... 

It’s now four feet tall no just kidding. I don’t know how maybe to much wet soggy soil but mine rotted out in the center and it never grew back.  Just to tropical for my area even inside.  It is one good looking palm.  
I now grow only Chamaedorea palms.   Much more easier to grow. 
those that are still growing one and still alive bravo to you!

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Upvote 1