IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard/Landscaping Progress

DAVEinMB

11 hours ago, James760 said:

Wow! That Chinensis is huge! Come next summer its really going to look amazing :greenthumb: My dog demolished mine when I first planted it bac in spring. There was nothing left, all spears in the center completely gone as well. I thought it was a goner but it came back :D pushed out 4 leafs so far. 

I have 2 Allagoptera Arenaria same size as yours that burned at 25f past winter. I'm hoping they become more cold hardy with age :bemused: 

Yours looks like it's in a protected area, up against the house? I would protect this one when temperatures go below 28f its first winter. 

It's got roughly 8 feet of trunk and is HEAVY - was a huge pain in my arse and nads to plant. My buddy and I did it manually with a pickup truck and some rope. No fun, would not recommend haha. I had a smaller clump that I tried to separate and ended up killing, really sad about those cause I had a great spot for them. Heavy shade and southeast side of the house - maybe I'll grab another one next growing season. That's awesome yours pulled through, def a tough little palm :shaka-2:

Damn 25f, that's good to know. Was it strictly temp or was frost involved? 

The only place that I was able to site mine where it would get decent sun and still have some protection was at the base of the Chinensis. It gets afternoon sun there and is under the canopy of both the washy and Chinensis. It's small so it won't be hard to protect when need be. 

20200914_103725.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

It's got roughly 8 feet of trunk and is HEAVY - was a huge pain in my arse and nads to plant. My buddy and I did it manually with a pickup truck and some rope. No fun

I bet! LMAO! Nobody can say we're a lazy group here. We have the  "do it ourselves" attitude..  Just so we can save money to buy my palms & stuff hehe! :floor:

The Allagoptera Arenaria's burned with no frost. But they're completely exposed, no canopy & away from the house.  Yours is in a good spot. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

16 hours ago, James760 said:

My dog demolished mine when I first planted it bac in spring. There was nothing left, all spears in the center completely gone as well. I thought it was a goner but it came back :D pushed out 4 leafs so far. 

Awesome!  So good to have "Dahlia-proof" palms!  :greenthumb:  Maybe she'll leave this one alone now that she's learned it is armed...

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

@Fusca, I hope so Jon. I'll keep the cages up around the palms in the back atleast another year just in case :D 

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

8 hours ago, James760 said:

I bet! LMAO! Nobody can say we're a lazy group here. We have the  "do it ourselves" attitude..  Just so we can save money to buy (more) palms & stuff hehe! :floor:

The Allagoptera Arenaria's burned with no frost. But they're completely exposed, no canopy & away from the house.  Yours is in a good spot. :greenthumb:

Oops, i need to edit these message. 

18 hours ago, James760 said:

I bet! LMAO! Nobody can say we're a lazy group here. We have the  "do it ourselves" attitude..  Just so we can save money to buy my palms & stuff hehe! :floor:

Yes sir! Hands on is the best type of learning and def saves $$. I'm constantly on the lookout for the "remove it yourself specials" haha 

Good deal, I'm still going to baby it until it gains some size. Really looking forward to seeing how it does once established. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 12:17 AM, James760 said:

I have 2 Allagoptera Arenaria same size as yours that burned at 25f past winter. I'm hoping they become more cold hardy with age :bemused: 

Yeah, one thing I've proved to be true after some failures.  Young palms - especially their first winter in the ground - are not nearly as cold-hardy as adult palms.  I once lost a 1-gal Washingtonia filifera to a 20° frostless night because I neglected to provide protection for it in its first winter in the ground.  Meanwhile a Syagrus a few feet from it did just fine after the same night because I protected it!

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...

Well it's at the end of the growing season so thought I'd post some pics from tonight. Stoked with how well everything is doing.  I'll get some more daytime pics up one of these days. Happy Saturday

20201114_192645.jpg

20201114_193540.jpg

20201114_193654.jpg

20201114_195344.jpg

20201114_194045.jpg

20201114_194149.jpg

20201114_194503.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 3:20 PM, DAVEinMB said:

20200524_092015.jpg

Before and after time

Pic from today - roughly 6 months between pics

20201201_134833.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season, here's a little late December update on the garden. We've had a handful of nights in the upper 20s and I've recorded one night at a low of 24 on all three weather station thermometers. Here's how some of the more tender stuff looks following the cold we've had. 

Nothing has received any protection. 

First up is the queen...

20201228_132146.jpg

20201228_132158.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, The7thLegend said:

Your palms are looking good and handling the cold well!

I appreciate that man, was debating protecting some of them but if they can't make it through mid 20s there's no reason they should be in the ground here in the first place. 

Extended forecast shows smooth sailing into March, I'm sure they'll get tested one day...

Edited by DAVEinMB

1 minute ago, DAVEinMB said:

was debating protecting some of them but hell, if they can't make it through mid 20s there's no reason they should be in the ground here in the first place. 

I was curious about that Sylvester but two years later it looks full, healthy and thriving.

Have you had any problems with it in 8b? Do you know the coldest temp it's survived? Lost any fronds due to cold damage?

I'm really curious about that one because my wife LOVES Sylvesters and wants 3-4 in the front yard.. but I don't want to spend a ton of money on trees that are just going to die in the 8B winter.

I'd love to hear about your thoughts on that palm

1 hour ago, floridaPalmMan said:

I was curious about that Sylvester but two years later it looks full, healthy and thriving.

Have you had any problems with it in 8b? Do you know the coldest temp it's survived? Lost any fronds due to cold damage?

I'm really curious about that one because my wife LOVES Sylvesters and wants 3-4 in the front yard.. but I don't want to spend a ton of money on trees that are just going to die in the 8B winter.

I'd love to hear about your thoughts on that palm

My first hand experience with sylvestris is fairly limited but here is what I can offer. 

Before I bought it it spent a year in a container on the nursery's lot. The owner said they pulled it inside one night but other than that it was exposed to what was thrown at it. It was a mild winter however with a recorded low of 25. I'm not sure what it looked like when it arrived at the nursery but when I got it it was in poor shape. It looked generally neglected. It was pushing me growth tho. 

Last year was it's first winter in its current location and it received very little protection. I wrapped the trunk in Christmas lights (not c9s) and burlap. No plastic, no crown protection. We hit 24 one night with a handful of nights below freezing so another mild one. Some of the fronds had some very light tip burn but no other cold damage. The planter it's in leaves it exposed to northern winds but it doesn't seem to mind. The main benefit i see with the planter is control over how much water it gets during the winter. 

Since getting my sylvestris (or perhaps hybrid), I have been noticing more of them around town. None of them look like new plantings but I can't say how long they've been in the ground. They do look just as good if not better than CIDPs in the area.  https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/61336-palms-of-the-myrtle-beach-area/

With all that said, I wish I could tell you that you can invest in a few and not worry about them long term but I've yet to find out what a true 8b winter will do to them as well. The freeze data section has some 8b info on them that doesn't paint a great picture tho.

Hope this helps a bit

• Upvote 1

@DAVEinMB thanks for the great info.

"The freeze data section has some 8b info on them that doesn't paint a great picture tho." - yea... this is why you're my ray of hope in this bleak world of wanting a sylvestris in 8b. 

I'll be keeping a close eye on your palm through the winter so please keep the updates coming!

Every silver date in Charleston had major damage or died as a result of the 2018 freeze here. Quite a few came back, but many didn't.

@floridaPalmMan

I did a bit of digging and below are ones that made it through the nasty 2018 winter @Laaz is referring to. I'm not sure if any of these are pure sylvestris but they all look to have some in them but to what degree i cannot say. 

1 - google maps shows this one has been here for at least 12 years. In 2008 it looks to be a 5 or 7 gallon. 

image.png.38203afe5bf2ed2d331cc2dc4e0bfb13.png

2 - This one has been planted in this lot for 10+ years and was moved once, owner has never protected it. 

image.png.9e517842a5a5018307333c0deea43948.png

3 - this one was small in 2012 but that's a far back as history will show

image.png.805163f58c05d46a592b05916938313e.png

I'll see what else I can find but here's a start. 

• 1 month later...

Rain finally stopped and had some temps in the 60s and 70s so figured I'd get a bit of a jump on the spring planting. 

I moved the clumping of bambusa oldhamii away from the house to give it more breathing room and replaced it with a ligustrum japonica. The nursery had a sole cordyline australis with 15" of clear trunk for $25 so i also snagged that while i was there. With the bamboo out of the way I had enough room to plant the ligustrum as well as the cordyline and one of the Uruguay queens i recently got from woodlanders. 

Pics below

20210225_143523.jpg

20210225_161742.jpg

20210226_163039.jpg

20210226_163106.jpg

20210226_163307.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would share how some of my plants look coming through this past winter. We had an ultimate low of 24 with nine total nights in the 20s. This winter was very wet and a lot of the rain was followed by nights in the 30s and 40s.

Livistona Decora:

This was a 5 gallon purchase from @TexasColdHardyPalms and this was its first winter in the ground. I offered it no protection whatsoever and it came through like a champ. There's a bit of leaf spotting and tip burn but nothing major and emerging spear is bright as can be. It's sited in a location that gets afternoon sun and it has a bit of wind protection from some larger trees around it but from a canopy standpoint it's pretty much completely exposed. 

20210318_160735.jpg

20210318_160745.jpg

20210318_160800.jpg

• Like 3

Just a heads up, I had three with about 6 ft of trunk that were all killed by the 2018 freeze we had. There were quite a few in town & all were killed.

• Like 1

Allagoptera Arenaria:

First winter in the ground for this one as well - 3 gallon from @TexasColdHardyPalms. I threw a bucket over this guy when we started getting the heavy rains during the tail end of January and most of February. It did however go through the 24F night without aide and any other cold night that wasn't preceded by hours of rain. This one is sited a few feet away from the Livistona Decora but is under Livistona Chinensis and Washingtonia Robusta canopy. This one handled the winter really well too - very little burn. It's already pushing a new spear now that the weather has been consistently warmer.

20210318_160819.jpg

20210318_160902.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Just a heads up, I had three with about 6 ft of trunk that were all killed by the 2018 freeze we had. There were quite a few in town & all were killed.

Good deal, thanks. If we're forecasted to drop below 20 I plan on protecting more.

Edited by DAVEinMB

35 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Good deal, thanks. If we're forecasted to drop below 20 I plan on protecting more.

Same for my livistona decora in 2018 as well as my livistona nitida. I have a livistona decora x mariae that was small and in a very sheltered spot as well as covered with blankets which is the only reason I believe it survived.

• Like 1