IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard/Landscaping Progress

DAVEinMB

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I left the old boots on but pulled all the hair off, definitely gives it a different look. I completely cleaned the trunks on 2 of my larger ones and they look really cool. Trunk diameter is roughly half

What method did you use to clean them?

21 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

What method did you use to clean them?

Just a pair of heavy duty scissors. It takes awhile to do; I think I had 5 hours total into the one in the photo - about 8' of trunk. 

20200728_000357.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Just a pair of heavy duty scissors. It takes awhile to do; I think I had 5 hours total into the one in the photo - about 8' of trunk. 

20200728_000357.jpg

Wow - that looks awesome. Definitely worth the labor. I can’t wait for mine to get big enough for me to do this.

• Like 1

@NC_Palm_Enthusiast I'm sure it goes without saying but make sure your cutting tools are thoroughly sterilized. Giving the trunk a good daconil wash down after you finish cleaning up the boots will help the tree fight off anything that may try to enter the wounds. Also a daily trunk rinse down with water for 2 weeks or so will help with healing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@NC_Palm_Enthusiast I'm sure it goes without saying but make sure your cutting tools are thoroughly sterilized. Giving the trunk a good daconil wash down after you finish cleaning up the boots will help the tree fight off anything that may try to enter the wounds. Also a daily trunk rinse down with water for 2 weeks or so will help with healing. 

Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 3:57 PM, WaianaeCrider said:

Great Tropical Look.  I have a daughter, born and raised in Hawai`i, who lives outside of Baton Rouge.  She'd love a palm or two.  Not much cash to spend so i'll try to get her some seedlings.  Her husband is a La. local boy and not into palms so it might be a slow progress.  LOL

Thanks! I'm going to continue the feel throughout the property. 

Maybe he'll come around, she should be able to grow some cool stuff in Baton Rouge

If you build it... they will come, right?

I dunno about you guys but I love me some reptiles. The copperhead, well he can stay by the property line. 

Not palm related I know, but thought I'd highlight some of the things that are now calling my "jungle" home. I'll keep this nonsense to a minimum haha

20200722_075821.jpg

Snapchat-93799553.jpg

20200731_190359.jpg

20200501_172518.jpg

Snapchat-364396996.jpg

20200510_144319.jpg

20200405_154908.jpg

20200330_185836.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

That’s a nice selection. I would love to have some lizards roaming around to add to the tropical look. I get the odd garter snake, red legged frogs and tree frogs. Reptile and amphibian selection is extremely limited over here. Apparently Portland has alligator lizards and western fence lizards on the rocks on the shore of the Willamette River. 

10 hours ago, Chester B said:

That’s a nice selection. I would love to have some lizards roaming around to add to the tropical look. I get the odd garter snake, red legged frogs and tree frogs. Reptile and amphibian selection is extremely limited over here. Apparently Portland has alligator lizards and western fence lizards on the rocks on the shore of the Willamette River. 

Yea it definitely adds to the feel. We have 3 hummingbird feeders as well as a standard bird feeder so there's activity all over the place. Those alligator lizards are cool but I don't think we have any over this way. Plenty of regular gators but luckily they aren't setting up shop here as of yet haha. I mostly see skinks and anoles, apparently there's one species of gecko that has been introduced to the area but I haven't seen any. Would be super cool if I started seeing them amidst the palms. 

The wildlife you see suggests a clean environment. When I was a child, there were toads and garter snakes everywhere. I haven't seen either in years.

• Like 1

@Dartolution I grew up catching and identifying snakes so it's cool that they're now coming to me. You are correct, baby milk snake. I haven't seen mama but she's likely not too far away. 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:08 AM, DAVEinMB said:

20200728_000357.jpg

I did this to one of mine a few years back. It was fine for a year or two, but then went down hill and croaked. I've seen a few around town trimmed like this as well & they ALL also died.

48 minutes ago, Laaz said:

I did this to one of mine a few years back. It was fine for a year or two, but then went down hill and croaked. I've seen a few around town trimmed like this as well & they ALL also died.

Lovely... more for me to worry about

@Laaz I wonder if it was something in particular attacking them down your way. There are a few clean trunk trachies around here that look to be doing fine, but I'm not sure what time frame it's been. I did some research prior to stripping the trunk and I couldn't find anything in particular that pointed towards it being detrimental to the tree. In habitat one source stated that their trunks get naturally stripped by animals and whatnot. 

Either way, it's already done so I guess we'll see if I jacked it up. 

Also, came across a screaming deal on a trachy in town just have to put in a bit of work to dig it up. 

20200802_162055.jpg

• Like 1

Alrighty, got that trachy dug up on Friday and planted it in its new home yesterday. Measured the trunk yesterday and it's right at 8'

20200809_164718.jpg

20200809_175512.jpg

20200809_185353.jpg

• Like 5

That's totally awesome.  I see big ones from time to time on Craigslist here advertised for free if you dig and haul, but I don't quite have the capability myself.  I need to get a trailer.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:59 AM, Chester B said:

That's totally awesome.  I see big ones from time to time on Craigslist here advertised for free if you dig and haul, but I don't quite have the capability myself.  I need to get a trailer.

Yea there's no way I could have passed it up, only cost me a bit of work. We've been getting a ton of rain lately so it wasn't easy by any means but it was worth it. A trailer would have been nice, it was fun getting the root ball up into the bed of a pickup truck haha

• Like 1

Hell, I towed a 25 foot washy about 3/4 of a mile through my neighborhood with a chain around the lower trunk for my neighbor. Should have seen the looks we got! :D:floor2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Hell, I towed a 25 foot washy about 3/4 of a mile through my neighborhood with a chain around the lower trunk for my neighbor. Should have seen the looks we got! :D:floor2:

Hahahaha I could imagine, that sob had to be heavy

19 hours ago, Laaz said:

You shoulda set it on a skateboard!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lighting was cool so thought I'd share a pic of one of my mules. This guy has been in the ground just shy of a year and it's finally starting to look like it's happy with where it's at. Over the past month I've been noticing steadier growth. Last fertilization of the year is happening tomorrow so we'll see what the last few months of this growing season look like. I may throw up a before and after if there's anything worthwhile to compare

20200905_222548.jpg

• Like 4

looking good!

Shes a fatty :greenthumb:

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

On 9/6/2020 at 1:40 AM, James760 said:

looking good!

Shes a fatty :greenthumb:

Thanks man! Def looks to have gained some girth since establishing

• Like 1

here's a before and after of the other Mule in my front yard. Seems to be happy as well. April 2019 vs August 2020. 

20200907_140800.jpg

• Like 1

Looking really good Dave . 

That HC Palmetto  will be full out in three years with fertilizing and watering well . You van't give it enough water in warm weather .

Will

1 hour ago, Will Simpson said:

Looking really good Dave . 

That HC Palmetto  will be full out in three years with fertilizing and watering well . You van't give it enough water in warm weather .

Will

Thanks Will! 

It's regenerating painfully slow but it is growing. In comparison to everything around it it appears to be standing still haha

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Hope everyone is doing well, happy Thursday

20200910_224552.jpg

Now THAT looks like a jungle to me!

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

A couple small updates: 

Allagoptera arenaria showing some pinnate foliage - it's pushed out two pinnate fronds since getting planted a couple months ago. 

Livistona Chinensis has settled in in its new home and has been steadily pushing fronds. I was really worried about this one taking root and establishing. We were not gentle with this thing at all when planting it so it took a beating. It also went from heavy shade to full sun. To my surprise it has pushed out 5 new fronds this summer and they are green as can be. I'm definitely going to miss the longer petioles but it is what it is. Planted in February. 

Oh and I may have made a big mistake with the bamboo location...

20200913_171727.jpg

20200610_140325.jpg

20200913_171844.jpg

20200913_173521.jpg

20200913_171916.jpg

20200913_171655.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! That Chinensis is huge! Come next summer its really going to look amazing :greenthumb: My dog demolished mine when I first planted it bac in spring. There was nothing left, all spears in the center completely gone as well. I thought it was a goner but it came back :D pushed out 4 leafs so far. 

I have 2 Allagoptera Arenaria same size as yours that burned at 25f past winter. I'm hoping they become more cold hardy with age :bemused: 

Yours looks like it's in a protected area, up against the house? I would protect this one when temperatures go below 28f its first winter. 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106