PeteMoss

Brown spots on Coconut Fronds

PeteMoss

Hi! first post!

I have a coconut palm with brown spots on the fronds. Did a brief search and it seems to be cold damage? I'm on Long Island and it's starting to cool down here (mid 60's at night anywehre in the 70s during the day). I'm afraid it could be some kind of fungus?

While I'm at it, it came in a pot the size of the coconut itself, so I put in something bigger using miracle grow cactus soil - it was basically sitting in sludge with that stuff. I put together a new mix that drains much better but still stays very moist. I have two wash. robusta with very well draining soil that dries up pretty quick too, but don't coconuts require more water? At first I thought the browning on the fronds looked like the burnt tips on wash. robusta when i over water them, but i thought extra moisture for a coconut would be better for it? or should I use the same mix for coconut and w. robusta?

Added robusta pics for fun :)

Thanks for any help!

IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

• Like 1

Mostapha

HI, your robustas look great, give a couple of years, very fast and much larger.  I live in upstate N.Y. , just west of Albany, we got a bitter cooler ourselves the past week or 2 so I brought everything in. Coconuts like it very hot, so the sudden chill may have done it, just remember even if bought locally in a big box store it would have come from a much warmer area and of course the sunlight wouldn't be quite as strong. Aclimation could be part of it, and don't use cold tap water, let the water sit overnight to reach room temp. They do require a lot of heat and light.

hat I did with the coconut that I raised, I always mixed in alot of sand and orchid bark to make sure that it had good drainage Don't know if I helped or not but I wish you luck. Thanks Mark

PeteMoss
18 hours ago, Mostapha said:

Aclimation could be part of it, and don't use cold tap water, let the water sit overnight to reach room temp.

So it's likely just from the weather? That's relieving. I saw a video on youtube where the guy poured hot/warm (he said ~100 degrees) down the shaft of his w. robusta to help them grow faster (it is working!), so I've been giving the coconut warm water too.

18 hours ago, Mostapha said:

hat I did with the coconut that I raised, I always mixed in alot of sand and orchid bark to make sure that it had good drainage Don't know if I helped or not but I wish you luck. Thanks Mark

What type of sand? I tried "desert sand" and I'm pretty sure it turned the pot to muck. I've read not to use beach sand for some trees, but don't coconuts actually grow on beaches? I do have a bag of pine bark, I guess I should replant the poor thing one more time to get the soil right.

Thanks!

Rickybobby

I’ve struggled with potted coconuts. Obviously peat moss was too wet. (Early mistake) I have pool filter sand which drains great. Or so I thought. Too would drain bottom would stay wet and I did some root damage. So my tried and true soil that inside for everything else. My own mix of coco coir and lots of perlite   So far so good 

• Like 1

Mostapha
1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

I’ve struggled with potted coconuts. Obviously peat moss was too wet. (Early mistake) I have pool filter sand which drains great. Or so I thought. Too would drain bottom would stay wet and I did some root damage. So my tried and true soil that inside for everything else. My own mix of coco coir and lots of perlite   So far so good 

Coco coir and perlite? Great idea. Thanks @Rickybobby Will give that a try on my next coconut. Maybe soilless pro mix with perlite added. As far as sand I usually use play sand, but mixed in just enough for it to remain free draining.  If you mix your own soils, you'll get the feeling for it.

Thanks, Mark

Edited by Mostapha

Rickybobby

I find play sand stays mucky I don’t have seramis and all the fancy mixes up here in Canada so coco and perlite is best that I can do 

PeteMoss

Thought I replied to this, whoops!

I ended up using a suggested mix I found elsewhere on palm talk: coir, coco husk, perlite, pumice. It was suggested 1/4 each but I ended up with something like 40% husk, 30% coir, 15% perlite and 15% pumice. It drains real fast, but still stays moist.

Just noticed coconut has a big crack :mellow2: 

IMG_6444.jpg

IMG_6445.jpg

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
On 9/18/2019 at 5:28 AM, PeteMoss said:

Thought I replied to this, whoops!

I ended up using a suggested mix I found elsewhere on palm talk: coir, coco husk, perlite, pumice. It was suggested 1/4 each but I ended up with something like 40% husk, 30% coir, 15% perlite and 15% pumice. It drains real fast, but still stays moist.

Just noticed coconut has a big crack :mellow2: 

IMG_6444.jpg

As it gets bigger, those fissures will widen.  Nice coco.:greenthumb: