IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Digging out alone

palm789

I need to dig up a trachycarpus it got a rootball 2 foot in height it's very heavy about 80kg to 10kg,how can I get this out of the ground and into a pot on my own as I don't know many people and no rear access to my garden so no machinery to lift out of hole into pot,any tips or videos/advice how to do this please.thanks

I planted a 400-500lb Encephalartos Hildebrandtii by myself with just a "loop sling" and a carefully dug hole.  If you are digging out a 200-250lb palm you might be able to do it in reverse.  In my case I dug a hole with one side at a 45 degree angle.  I looped the sling around the underside and slowly lowered it into the hole by basically sliding it down the slope.  There's no way that I could take a plant that large back *out* of the hole by itself, but depending on your strength you may be able to do it.  Here's a photo of the plant and hole for reference:

1712490885_P1050099cropped.JPG.3e77c940861f6ef43d39c361c3e3f2ef.JPG

I used this type of sling, you can see one on the ground in the upper left corner.  You can put your forearms through the loops so you can get better leverage.  The sling may not be necessary, it depends on the dirt and your location.  But digging an angled hole and dragging it out sideways reduces the amount you need to lift.  You can also keep a couple of wood blocks or landscaping blocks next to the hole, so you can drag it out in stages.  Drag it out a few inches, kick a block in under it, rinse and repeat.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-6400-lbs-capacity-lifting-sling-61233.html

Getting it into the pot is the easy part, just lay it on it's side and wiggle it into the pot, then stand it upright.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I planted a 400-500lb Encephalartos Hildebrandtii by myself with just a "loop sling" and a carefully dug hole.  If you are digging out a 200-250lb palm you might be able to do it in reverse.  In my case I dug a hole with one side at a 45 degree angle.  I looped the sling around the underside and slowly lowered it into the hole by basically sliding it down the slope.  There's no way that I could take a plant that large back *out* of the hole by itself, but depending on your strength you may be able to do it.  Here's a photo of the plant and hole for reference:

1712490885_P1050099cropped.JPG.3e77c940861f6ef43d39c361c3e3f2ef.JPG

I used this type of sling, you can see one on the ground in the upper left corner.  You can put your forearms through the loops so you can get better leverage.  The sling may not be necessary, it depends on the dirt and your location.  But digging an angled hole and dragging it out sideways reduces the amount you need to lift.  You can also keep a couple of wood blocks or landscaping blocks next to the hole, so you can drag it out in stages.  Drag it out a few inches, kick a block in under it, rinse and repeat.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-6400-lbs-capacity-lifting-sling-61233.html

Getting it into the pot is the easy part, just lay it on it's side and wiggle it into the pot, then stand it upright.

It got thick clay,if I can't get the straps then any other methods.

Started going to the gym 4 years ago. Now I can easly deadlift 100kg. 150kgs is probably my max. 

Anyway, get a gym membership. Its never too late :mrlooney:

• Like 2

Dig a ramp as suggested. Rachet tie down straps can then be used with an anchor point(star picket works if nothing near) to drag the root ball up the slope. Once tension on the strap push down and then re-tension. Laying thick cardboard will help it slide. Once it''s out you should be able to roll into a pot. No gym membership needed and you get to drink all the beer that you would have supplied to the work party.

Good luck and don't forget to keep the liquids up(brown ale?)

Cheers 

Steve

I'm surprised nobody has recommended a lever. 

A metal bar - or a shovel - lift it up slightly - and use the "brick method" - just put things under neath it with each lift. It goes pretty fast. In fact, if you use dirt - you won't even have much of a hole left at the end to worry about. Kill two birds with a stone. 

Then, roll it around so you aren't lifting anything. (Lever can do this, too.) 

With clay soil that's going to be a bear.  Just digging a perimeter hole around it to slice the roots will be a long job.  I'm fortunate with sandy soil here in Floriduh.

If you have a long "pinch bar" or similar long steel pipe, you might be able to use that as a lever.  I've used 1.5" diameter galvanized steel pipe for a similar job.  Like Silent Seed said, lever it out a few inches, drop a brick or landscape block under it, lever it out a few inches, blocks, lever, etc.

Managed to get the smaller one out and bloody hell it was heavy,it was a small when planted and grew massive after a year and half in ground I'm surprised how fast roots grow after that long.

I got to dig out the bigger one next to repot next I dreaden getting that out by hand.

Any tutorials on how to repot big palms.

I still say a tripod winch is the way to go.  Here is a better video with it being used to pull out trees:

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 3 years later...

Why is this forum being over-run with trolls, this irritates me so much.

Lucas

2 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Why is this forum being over-run with trolls, this irritates me so much.

You can "Report" any off-topic posts using the "Report" feature (three dots upper right), and help keep them under control.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

You can "Report" any off-topic posts using the "Report" feature (three dots upper right), and help keep them under control.

thanks!

Lucas