IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Starting to prep my indoor container ranch for this fall

Rickybobby

Great video, Rob. You are a bonafide palm lover. Kudos to you and all the best this coming winter. I'm waiting for mid-Oct. when highs regularly stay below 90F.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

12 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Great video, Rob. You are a bonafide palm lover. Kudos to you and all the best this coming winter. I'm waiting for mid-Oct. when highs regularly stay below 90F.

Thank you. Once all the palms come In. It will be a jungle room lol. The room looks busy but I  still have 200 seedlings and 5 big Palms to come inside!

Still very warm down here, you guys have had a cool summer. Hopefully the frost tender plants won’t need to come in til mid November. 

5 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

The room looks busy but I  still have 200 seedlings and 5 big Palms to come inside!

I can only imagine 5 years from now! Might be time to start a "money for greenhouse" savings plan.

Then 10 years from now as plants get taller & taller Rob says to wifey, "But seriously honey, I NEED a taller greenhouse!" hahahaha.

Love watching your videos Rob, your enthusiasm really is infectious mate. Someday it'd be great to have a beer with you and see your Canadian Jungle first hand, in the mean time I'll get off my bum and send you some seeds!

11 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

Still very warm down here, you guys have had a cool summer. Hopefully the frost tender plants won’t need to come in til mid November. 

We had a short spring and summer. Very unusual oh well. We have a hot days for the next two weeks taking us into October but my little guys I’ve started taking indoors only because my palm room is so warm and more heat units. Usually the big palms I leave outside until I close the pool. Here trachys can stay outside until December but I don’t push them 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Love watching your videos Rob, your enthusiasm really is infectious mate. Someday it'd be great to have a beer with you and see your Canadian Jungle first hand, in the mean time I'll get off my bum and send you some seeds!

Thanks for your support Dave and I super appreciate the seeds. The queens are doing fantastic 

10 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I can only imagine 5 years from now! Might be time to start a "money for greenhouse" savings plan.

Then 10 years from now as plants get taller & taller Rob says to wifey, "But seriously honey, I NEED a taller greenhouse!" hahahaha.

John thanks again for the seeds. There all doing well. I’m curious to see how long some species I can keep. Adonidiaa bottles etc I can keep Indefinitely

Thanks for sharing 

I have to order my led lights for my first winter ...also have to insulate a sunroom to achieve the 75+° temp.

I am using 3 fish tanks to help with humidity.

Going to invest in a humidifier as well.

13 minutes ago, Beachpalm said:

When the bigger palms come in. Please take another video

I will for sure there still is 200 seedlings and my roebellinis bismark and bottle to come In. My foxtail goes to my dads who has vaulted ceilings thanks for watching and the support 

@Rickybobby Do you recommend any certain grow lights ? Certain wattage or spectrum range. My container ranch has grown, with too many tender seedlings, so the lil light i do get in my garage is taken up now. 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Rickybobby Do you recommend any certain grow lights ? Certain wattage or spectrum range. My container ranch has grown, with too many tender seedlings, so the lil light i do get in my garage is taken up now. 

Last year I bought 5 led square full spectrum lights and made the heights adjustable. This year I have bought 2 48” t5 grow lights. As well. Advantages to both. The t5 uses more electricity but the heat helps to warm the room and uses way less juice than the 750watt! Heater my seedlings grew just for fine all winter with no burn after a few months I will post a review with the t5

14 hours ago, Beachpalm said:

How high is the foxtail?

My foxtail with the pot is over 7 feet. That’s not the issue. The issue is when a spear is at full height before it opens and bends its 9 feet plus. My ceilings here are 9 feet so at least when it goes to my dads it gets 15 foot ceilings and no issues 

My hats off to you. Anyone who lives in a tropical climate can collect and grow palms but very few would have the determination to make it work no matter the climate like you have. Great job! 

3 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

My hats off to you. Anyone who lives in a tropical climate can collect and grow palms but very few would have the determination to make it work no matter the climate like you have. Great job! 

Wait till you see my next video when al the palms are inside. People on the forum talk about indoor humidity as an issue. When you have 200 seedlings and many larger palms. Trust me it’s humid in there!

Looking forward to seeing the next video. Forum members like yourself are a huge help to those of us who are just starting the hobby and needing to learn everything. 

Electric heat is 100% efficient, so don't expect the T-5 to offset too much, as it's creating light and heat. You should drop a kilowatt meter on it to see what actual draw is. 

Room looks great! 

Depending on budget of course, I would try to keep that room at around 80F (26.6C) from fall-spring.  This will, of course, make the room even more bone dry than it already would be.  If I had it in the budget, I would add some sort of humidification system to keep the relative humidity at at least around 40%.

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

Depending on budget of course, I would try to keep that room at around 80F (26.6C) from fall-spring.  This will, of course, make the room even more bone dry than it already would be.  If I had it in the budget, I would add some sort of humidification system to keep the relative humidity at at least around 40%.

Your wrong. The room sits between 77 and 81f and relative humidity sits at 67 percent so I’m not sure what your talking about.  If you watch my video you see how the room is sealed up and insulated and having so many plants I’m on room make it. Very humid. This room has no influence from ac or a furnace 

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Electric heat is 100% efficient, so don't expect the T-5 to offset too much, as it's creating light and heat. You should drop a kilowatt meter on it to see what actual draw is. 

Room looks great! 

The room with all the lights and heat and is 50 bux a month. But with these lights creating some heat the price may go down 

2 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

The room with all the lights and heat and is 50 bux a month. But with these lights creating some heat the price may go down 

That's my point. It can't. At least not in theory. You florescent light, T-5, can't create more energy (light plus heat in this case) then is put into the room via a plug outlet. Whatever it created in light is reduced in heat from the total watts consumed.  If you put 100 watts into that fixture, maybe 20 watts are made int o light and 80 watts are made into heat. It will offset your electric heater that is 100% efficient at creating heat by 80 watts. (to simplify). 

For example, your T-5 can't create 20 watts of light and 100 watts of heat if it only draws 100 watts.  

32 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Your wrong. The room sits between 77 and 81f and relative humidity sits at 67 percent so I’m not sure what your talking about.  If you watch my video you see how the room is sealed up and insulated and having so many plants I’m on room make it. Very humid. This room has no influence from ac or a furnace 

I wasn't disagreeing with you.  Just saying that's what's I would aim for if I had a similar setup.  I haven't watched your video, so had no idea of any further details.

24 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I wasn't disagreeing with you.  Just saying that's what's I would aim for if I had a similar setup.  I haven't watched your video, so had no idea of any further details.

‘‘Tis all good. Palms are my calms 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

i am about to start preparing my indoor space as well....

as soon as i can get away from reading threads here on palmtalk!