IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Grow bags

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Has anyone used these type of grow bags to grow palms ? I have thought about using them to put climate tender palms in the ground then dig them back up before the first cold snap. Thinking i can enjoy the palm in the landscape instead of the container ranch. 

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/bags-pouches/root-pouch-grey-fabric-pot-3-4-year?returnurl=%2fcontainers-trays%2fbags-pouches%2f

With a regular nursery pot im afraid roots could possibly get thru the drain holes, so when i pull the palm back out , it could get root damage and possible death. 

Just throwing this out as an idea, anyone's opionion or pros and cons would be appreciated. 

T J 

T J 

I’ve wondered as well we know one thing. The roots will air prune which is great but also will stop the roots from trying to outgrow the bag if that’s what you want 

I really think if you want the feel of tender plants in the ground with a pot all you need to do is create a false bottom in the pot with a mesh that stands off the bottom of the pot say, 2" or so. This will effectively air prune the roots before they get a chance to exit out the normal drain holes. I keep most of my larger palms that are in pots on 3 bricks that hold the pot up about 2.5" this  makes sure they roots air prune themselves before getting a chance to hit the real soil 

• Like 1

@RJ @Rickybobby So im getting the feeling air pruning doesnt hurt the palms in any way ? I do keep my container ranch off the ground with bricks also. The growing season is very long here and i can easily fit more palms in the landscape. As you know because of our wet winters, definitely the more tropical palms have no chance in the ground year around here. Only wish these grow bags were deeper and the price isnt bad either. 

T J 

No it doesn't IMO. In fact I would argue it's better for the palm in the long run as it naturally makes the tree grow a more robust root system. I have special pots that I used up north for growing seedlings that were specifically designed to air prune seedling roots for this exact reason. I can't say for sure if it directly moves over to palms but in my limited experience growing palms I would venture to guess that it does and is beneficial. 

https://rootmaker.com/rootmaker-system

10 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@RJ interesinteresting link did you ever use those for palms ? If so did you notice any positive effects ? 

No I haven't used them on palms. But from what I can see palm roots react the same way when they come to an extensive air gap as normal trees do. My rootmaker pots are packed away in storage with most of my growing stuff. You will notice most of the S&S tree pots and even the cone pots that I showed yesterday in a different thread have vertical "guides" built into them to direct roots vertically and to keep roots from spiraling. Traditional trees can become root bound when this happens, it doesn't seem to be an issue with palms. 

I planted my smallest Howea forsteriana palm to Airpot. My mix is seramis, pine bark, crushed leca cravel and lot of cocofiber.  I can't say the results yet because I planted it yesterday. Time will tell.

20190910_153240.jpg

• Like 2

Should be interesting to see the results. I bought a couple fiber grow pots off Amazon so we shall see =) 

T J 

12 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Should be interesting to see the results. I bought a couple fiber grow pots off Amazon so we shall see =) 

Yes, it is very interesting to see your results too. We just have to wait. This is the hardest thing. I ordered an Airpot from a Finnish online store, 8€.