IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Louisiana blue stem vs Cabal minor bluster hardiness.

mdsonofthesouth

What's the difference in hardiness and growth rate for these two? Debating grabbing a bunch of these as they are selling 1g for $9! 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Wow, where are they selling these? I think the regular blue Sabal Minor would be slower but a little more hardier. The Louisiana is faster but since it is blue stem may hardier that’s regular Louisiana should have no problem for you or even me.

Mail order natives. Looking to buy a good mess and don't know of the two which I should buy.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I ordered from them a couple years back. -got a bunch Needle palms and Serenoa repens.  Wish I had a picture to share with you but don't expect them to be big.  The needles had undifferentiated leaves and the Serenoa had maybe 3 fronds.  Just over 2 years later in the ground I would still classify them as what I would consider 1 gallon palms.  Here's a picture that is representative of what I received.

s-l1600.jpg

• Upvote 1

Im not terribly worried about strap leaf for sabal minor and rhapidophyllum. I put some "1g" rhapidophyllum I got from a nursery in Salisbury that were rough looking strap leaf palms in the ground in mid to late July and they over wintered without much issue last year. Didnt even mulch them full northern exposure. I will mulch the minors for sure and will do so for the needles too in hopes they come into spring better. Im just worried about the hardiness differences between the Sabal Louisiana and sabal minor bluestem. I want Louisiana,  but also want this to be part of my trouble free or mostly trouble free garden. 

In the pine areas Ill be using only rhapidophyllum,  McCurtain sabal minors and yucca gloriosa varieties. 

Did you already read the reviews on Dave's garden?  Some people in your zone report damage each year but they survive.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57398/#b

I have both regular and louisiana but I'm in zone 8B so I'm not exactly testing their hardiness.

Not in a while. But after reading that I should be good! The 2 Maryland reviews showed slightly milder and slightly colder climates with both being pretty solid. Where I'm planting the blue forms get a lot of sun and the ground rarely freezes there so I'm feeling quite positive! Will be purchasing some of these very soon to pot them and garage keep them til spring. Will likely mulch them well in the winter and build a simple wall to block Northern winds til they establish. Here's hoping we don't have too many freak winters and go back to a more normal weather pattern.

• Like 1