Jump to content
DoomsDave

Love them Roystoneas!

Recommended Posts

DoomsDave

Roared on down to visit PSSC’s new treasurer deep down in the OC then went home past South Coast Plaza, one of the palmiest malls I’ve been to.

A big feature of all that palminess is the line of mature Roystonea regia on Bear Street near Crystal Court.

And magnificent they are!

Show us yours!

FC1792F1-4E95-4E3E-B194-74035543F668.thumb.jpeg.f41bd9f3fe59d63101debb5552d3e165.jpeg

035712C4-84A8-4BE3-87F3-E2F44B45B23A.thumb.jpeg.85647cd0c0c08671ad85a607eb813d30.jpeg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

This shot shows how massive Royals are compared to mere Kings.

C53F29F7-706A-450B-8965-74E5C95EC56F.thumb.jpeg.b0abe9d936a52c88cab84fafc35320ca.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC

Great palms for a large garden.  Not so great for a garden in residential SoCal.  I have a friend who is looking for interested buyers of his two large and healthy Roystoneas.  They are about 30' high and 30-36" at the base.   They are beautiful, healthy palms, but the fronds have crushed a lot of his plants below.  It has also dented his wife's car, which was the last straw.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
5 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Great palms for a large garden.  Not so great for a garden in residential SoCal.  I have a friend who is looking for interested buyers of his two large and healthy Roystoneas.  They are about 30' high and 30-36" at the base.   They are beautiful, healthy palms, but the fronds have crushed a lot of his plants below.  It has also dented his wife's car, which was the last straw.  

Yeah, as I've noted in numerous public service announcements.

But they're so worth the space if you have it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyt

Man those are so Nice!  I think I would sell the wife's car,  keep the palms, and get her a bicycle!  :innocent:

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
9 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Man those are so Nice!  I think I would sell the wife's car,  keep the palms, and get her a bicycle!  :innocent:

Or a Vespa. Even better than a Schwinn, lol :P

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NOT A TA
Just now, Silas_Sancona said:

Or a Vespa. Even better than a Schwinn, lol :P

Nah, bike will keep her in better shape! ahahaha

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
15 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Nah, bike will keep her in better shape! ahahaha

:greenthumb: lol, this is true. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NOT A TA
2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Show us yours!

Not mine but right next door so I get the better view of it from the side. There's a lot of them here, some streets in my neighborhood are lined with ones this size. They're actually getting too tall IMO and should come down.

20190814_172959_zpsaqtcyuiz.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NOT A TA

Had a few minutes while waiting on IT people to fix something so I walked around the corner and took a couple pics for ya. As you'll notice in the lower pic some of the neighbors are palmy people.

20190905_143008_zps70bo0cl3.jpg

20190905_142954_zpsjp43d2oh.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyt

They are beauties!!  :wub:    Spare them their lives........  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walt

I think the royal palm became my favorite from the first time I ever saw one. I was serving in the US Navy, and my ship steamed down to San Juan, Puerto Rico (from Charleston, S.C.), for the month of February 1969 (now more than 50 years ago).  I went ashore on liberty with some shipmates, and that's when I saw my first royal palms. These were big ones with beautiful green crownshafts.  I was in awe of them -- the crownshafts, the trunks, the fronds, everything. I asked what kind of palm they were, and somebody said they were royal palms. Of course, they were most likely Roystonea borinquena, but I didn't now diddly about palms back then.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anaheimpalmguy

The Royals really make a statement along Bear St.!  The Royals planted along South St. in Artesia hopefully will also make a statement when they mature. but they are in the median strip of South St. instead of along the sides, as on Bear St., and there aren't that many, but one can hope that this will inspire more plantings of Royal Palms. 

 

Edited by anaheimpalmguy
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett in Mission Viejo

I had a monster Royal in my front yard. Unfortunately I had to remove it because of liability concerns. I would find 60lb fronds in the middle of the street! I had a tree transplanting company interested in buying/moving it, but they could not find a customer with deep enough pockets for most likely temporary bragging rights knowing it is a risky transplant. The two pictures below were taken in July of 2016. The removal picture was taken in fall of 2018, when it was another 10-12 feet taller.

500419766_RoystoniaRegia.thumb.jpg.8f237fea4f4e72888bc76c0494010150.jpg

768384620_AlfrediaandRoyal.thumb.jpg.b1f1e4aacc634c004f5cf75ccd4b2905.jpg

royal_edit.thumb.jpg.76591320d8ef52e0438bdebf809f9fa4.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Tree Jim

Removed mine a few years ago. The falling fronds destroyed anything beneath it.

They are beautiful palms that need to be “alone” in the garden. If you have acres to plant, then go for it. Unfortunately, I don’t have the room.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
On 9/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, DoomsDave said:

This shot shows how massive Royals are compared to mere Kings.

C53F29F7-706A-450B-8965-74E5C95EC56F.thumb.jpeg.b0abe9d936a52c88cab84fafc35320ca.jpeg

Quite right. Compare them to Foxtails. 

The Regias have the same look in a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg

Here is one of my two modest little guys. (About 14ft. tall) I’ve been excited about it putting on some size but seeing @DoomsDave post several warnings as well as others I’m beginning to wonder if I should pull it. However, they are in the backyard so maybe not so much damage could occur....other than human death. :huh:2C40F862-9663-4B1B-9E51-AE7CE998E385.thumb.jpeg.5a855752bf221a0300be6426c6358443.jpeg118AD9AB-7E27-4E62-9B97-BEB983F795F9.thumb.jpeg.4b40da3745897b39cd288b18f1628ca6.jpeg9A9B865B-E067-48D8-A3FC-7DB1F89A0350.thumb.jpeg.d6abce7a23b2e9724b5ca8c6045ec302.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NOT A TA
8 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

Here is one of my two modest little guys. (About 14ft. tall) I’ve been excited about it putting on some size but seeing @DoomsDave post several warnings as well as others I’m beginning to wonder if I should pull it. However, they are in the backyard so maybe not so much damage could occur....other than human death. 

The thing is to be aware that there will come a time it should be cut down. Either because it becomes a liability or because of the work/ expense of removal. When you start looking at it thinking maybe it's time, you already waited too long so just bite the bullet & get it over with quickly. The longer you procrastinate from that point forward the bigger the liability the palm becomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos

My R. borinquena is growing beside my driveway close to my garage. It's healthy but so slow growing (two fronds per year) that I think I can enjoy it for a long long time. It will be easy to maintain for years and, even if it ever gets huge, I'll have my tree service trim older fronds off before they have a chance to fall. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg
On 9/6/2019 at 6:53 PM, NOT A TA said:

The thing is to be aware that there will come a time it should be cut down. Either because it becomes a liability or because of the work/ expense of removal. When you start looking at it thinking maybe it's time, you already waited too long so just bite the bullet & get it over with quickly. The longer you procrastinate from that point forward the bigger the liability the palm becomes.

You are probably right, but I’m gonna have to learn the hard way because I’m not going to remove them anytime soon. I like them and really want to watch them grow. Not sure they will grow as huge in my climate as in others. I know they will grow slower at least. I should have several years of enjoyment before I have to worry too much and when that day comes I will just do as Jim mentions below. 

22 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

My R. borinquena is growing beside my driveway close to my garage. It's healthy but so slow growing (two fronds per year) that I think I can enjoy it for a long long time. It will be easy to maintain for years and, even if it ever gets huge, I'll have my tree service trim older fronds off before they have a chance to fall. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redant

Of the way to many I have, this one's my favorite. Grown from seed by me.

IMG_5789.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quaman58

First up, a borenquena in front. The emerald green crownshaft and leaves held above the horizontal plane are characteristic of this species. 

49634E31-8090-420F-9D35-07611032A01D.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quaman58

Next up is a young princeps in back. My hope with this one is that it maintains a thinner trunk. It’s beautiful at this size; wish it would stay that way..

3E3B6637-3041-4527-AF30-920BCECCB8E4.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hardypalms
On 9/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

I had a monster Royal in my front yard. Unfortunately I had to remove it because of liability concerns. I would find 60lb fronds in the middle of the street! I had a tree transplanting company interested in buying/moving it, but they could not find a customer with deep enough pockets for most likely temporary bragging rights knowing it is a risky transplant. The two pictures below were taken in July of 2016. The removal picture was taken in fall of 2018, when it was another 10-12 feet taller.

500419766_RoystoniaRegia.thumb.jpg.8f237fea4f4e72888bc76c0494010150.jpg

768384620_AlfrediaandRoyal.thumb.jpg.b1f1e4aacc634c004f5cf75ccd4b2905.jpg

royal_edit.thumb.jpg.76591320d8ef52e0438bdebf809f9fa4.jpg

What is that blue palm in the bottom pic, in front of the guy cutting the palm?

Brahea armata?

Thxs

Pat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans

Nice looking brahea armata, bet it is amazing when in flower!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daryl

I love royals...prefer R.oleracea but A well grown R.regia is still a magnificent palm...

Here is one growing at the local shop. There  used to be a great nursery there but it succumbed to pressure of the local hardware giant unfortunately...their legacy is a nice collection of mature palms, one of which is this nice Cuban...

5DD3A3E0-D6A8-46A2-9BDC-A9456A399559.thumb.jpeg.875b0b6a5ab5e3a8f06016f74d627506.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett in Mission Viejo
On September 9, 2019 at 2:55 AM, Hardypalms said:

 

Off topic, but that Brahea is Brahea sp. Clara. Much faster than Armata! Planted as a seven gallon in 2006.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hardypalms
6 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Off topic, but that Brahea is Brahea sp. Clara. Much faster than Armata! Planted as a seven gallon in 2006.

Thanks a lot.

Back on topic now

Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×