IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Love them Roystoneas!

DoomsDave

Roared on down to visit PSSC’s new treasurer deep down in the OC then went home past South Coast Plaza, one of the palmiest malls I’ve been to.

A big feature of all that palminess is the line of mature Roystonea regia on Bear Street near Crystal Court.

And magnificent they are!

Show us yours!

FC1792F1-4E95-4E3E-B194-74035543F668.thumb.jpeg.f41bd9f3fe59d63101debb5552d3e165.jpeg

035712C4-84A8-4BE3-87F3-E2F44B45B23A.thumb.jpeg.85647cd0c0c08671ad85a607eb813d30.jpeg

• Like 9

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This shot shows how massive Royals are compared to mere Kings.

C53F29F7-706A-450B-8965-74E5C95EC56F.thumb.jpeg.b0abe9d936a52c88cab84fafc35320ca.jpeg

• Like 5

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great palms for a large garden.  Not so great for a garden in residential SoCal.  I have a friend who is looking for interested buyers of his two large and healthy Roystoneas.  They are about 30' high and 30-36" at the base.   They are beautiful, healthy palms, but the fronds have crushed a lot of his plants below.  It has also dented his wife's car, which was the last straw.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

5 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Great palms for a large garden.  Not so great for a garden in residential SoCal.  I have a friend who is looking for interested buyers of his two large and healthy Roystoneas.  They are about 30' high and 30-36" at the base.   They are beautiful, healthy palms, but the fronds have crushed a lot of his plants below.  It has also dented his wife's car, which was the last straw.  

Yeah, as I've noted in numerous public service announcements.

But they're so worth the space if you have it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Man those are so Nice!  I think I would sell the wife's car,  keep the palms, and get her a bicycle!  :innocent:

Or a Vespa. Even better than a Schwinn, lol :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Silas_Sancona said:

Or a Vespa. Even better than a Schwinn, lol :P

Nah, bike will keep her in better shape! ahahaha

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Nah, bike will keep her in better shape! ahahaha

:greenthumb: lol, this is true. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Show us yours!

Not mine but right next door so I get the better view of it from the side. There's a lot of them here, some streets in my neighborhood are lined with ones this size. They're actually getting too tall IMO and should come down.

20190814_172959_zpsaqtcyuiz.jpg

• Like 3

Had a few minutes while waiting on IT people to fix something so I walked around the corner and took a couple pics for ya. As you'll notice in the lower pic some of the neighbors are palmy people.

20190905_143008_zps70bo0cl3.jpg

20190905_142954_zpsjp43d2oh.jpg

• Like 3

I think the royal palm became my favorite from the first time I ever saw one. I was serving in the US Navy, and my ship steamed down to San Juan, Puerto Rico (from Charleston, S.C.), for the month of February 1969 (now more than 50 years ago).  I went ashore on liberty with some shipmates, and that's when I saw my first royal palms. These were big ones with beautiful green crownshafts.  I was in awe of them -- the crownshafts, the trunks, the fronds, everything. I asked what kind of palm they were, and somebody said they were royal palms. Of course, they were most likely Roystonea borinquena, but I didn't now diddly about palms back then.

Mad about palms

The Royals really make a statement along Bear St.!  The Royals planted along South St. in Artesia hopefully will also make a statement when they mature. but they are in the median strip of South St. instead of along the sides, as on Bear St., and there aren't that many, but one can hope that this will inspire more plantings of Royal Palms. 

Edited by anaheimpalmguy
  • Upvote 2

I had a monster Royal in my front yard. Unfortunately I had to remove it because of liability concerns. I would find 60lb fronds in the middle of the street! I had a tree transplanting company interested in buying/moving it, but they could not find a customer with deep enough pockets for most likely temporary bragging rights knowing it is a risky transplant. The two pictures below were taken in July of 2016. The removal picture was taken in fall of 2018, when it was another 10-12 feet taller.

500419766_RoystoniaRegia.thumb.jpg.8f237fea4f4e72888bc76c0494010150.jpg

768384620_AlfrediaandRoyal.thumb.jpg.b1f1e4aacc634c004f5cf75ccd4b2905.jpg

royal_edit.thumb.jpg.76591320d8ef52e0438bdebf809f9fa4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Removed mine a few years ago. The falling fronds destroyed anything beneath it.

They are beautiful palms that need to be “alone” in the garden. If you have acres to plant, then go for it. Unfortunately, I don’t have the room.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, DoomsDave said:

This shot shows how massive Royals are compared to mere Kings.

C53F29F7-706A-450B-8965-74E5C95EC56F.thumb.jpeg.b0abe9d936a52c88cab84fafc35320ca.jpeg

Quite right. Compare them to Foxtails. 

The Regias have the same look in a way.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Here is one of my two modest little guys. (About 14ft. tall) I’ve been excited about it putting on some size but seeing @DoomsDave post several warnings as well as others I’m beginning to wonder if I should pull it. However, they are in the backyard so maybe not so much damage could occur....other than human death. :huh:2C40F862-9663-4B1B-9E51-AE7CE998E385.thumb.jpeg.5a855752bf221a0300be6426c6358443.jpeg118AD9AB-7E27-4E62-9B97-BEB983F795F9.thumb.jpeg.4b40da3745897b39cd288b18f1628ca6.jpeg9A9B865B-E067-48D8-A3FC-7DB1F89A0350.thumb.jpeg.d6abce7a23b2e9724b5ca8c6045ec302.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

Here is one of my two modest little guys. (About 14ft. tall) I’ve been excited about it putting on some size but seeing @DoomsDave post several warnings as well as others I’m beginning to wonder if I should pull it. However, they are in the backyard so maybe not so much damage could occur....other than human death. 

The thing is to be aware that there will come a time it should be cut down. Either because it becomes a liability or because of the work/ expense of removal. When you start looking at it thinking maybe it's time, you already waited too long so just bite the bullet & get it over with quickly. The longer you procrastinate from that point forward the bigger the liability the palm becomes.

My R. borinquena is growing beside my driveway close to my garage. It's healthy but so slow growing (two fronds per year) that I think I can enjoy it for a long long time. It will be easy to maintain for years and, even if it ever gets huge, I'll have my tree service trim older fronds off before they have a chance to fall. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 9/6/2019 at 6:53 PM, NOT A TA said:

The thing is to be aware that there will come a time it should be cut down. Either because it becomes a liability or because of the work/ expense of removal. When you start looking at it thinking maybe it's time, you already waited too long so just bite the bullet & get it over with quickly. The longer you procrastinate from that point forward the bigger the liability the palm becomes.

You are probably right, but I’m gonna have to learn the hard way because I’m not going to remove them anytime soon. I like them and really want to watch them grow. Not sure they will grow as huge in my climate as in others. I know they will grow slower at least. I should have several years of enjoyment before I have to worry too much and when that day comes I will just do as Jim mentions below. 

22 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

My R. borinquena is growing beside my driveway close to my garage. It's healthy but so slow growing (two fronds per year) that I think I can enjoy it for a long long time. It will be easy to maintain for years and, even if it ever gets huge, I'll have my tree service trim older fronds off before they have a chance to fall. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

First up, a borenquena in front. The emerald green crownshaft and leaves held above the horizontal plane are characteristic of this species. 

49634E31-8090-420F-9D35-07611032A01D.jpeg

• Like 4

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Next up is a young princeps in back. My hope with this one is that it maintains a thinner trunk. It’s beautiful at this size; wish it would stay that way..

3E3B6637-3041-4527-AF30-920BCECCB8E4.jpeg

• Like 5

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

On 9/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

I had a monster Royal in my front yard. Unfortunately I had to remove it because of liability concerns. I would find 60lb fronds in the middle of the street! I had a tree transplanting company interested in buying/moving it, but they could not find a customer with deep enough pockets for most likely temporary bragging rights knowing it is a risky transplant. The two pictures below were taken in July of 2016. The removal picture was taken in fall of 2018, when it was another 10-12 feet taller.

500419766_RoystoniaRegia.thumb.jpg.8f237fea4f4e72888bc76c0494010150.jpg

768384620_AlfrediaandRoyal.thumb.jpg.b1f1e4aacc634c004f5cf75ccd4b2905.jpg

royal_edit.thumb.jpg.76591320d8ef52e0438bdebf809f9fa4.jpg

What is that blue palm in the bottom pic, in front of the guy cutting the palm?

Brahea armata?

Thxs

Pat

Nice looking brahea armata, bet it is amazing when in flower!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I love royals...prefer R.oleracea but A well grown R.regia is still a magnificent palm...

Here is one growing at the local shop. There  used to be a great nursery there but it succumbed to pressure of the local hardware giant unfortunately...their legacy is a nice collection of mature palms, one of which is this nice Cuban...

5DD3A3E0-D6A8-46A2-9BDC-A9456A399559.thumb.jpeg.875b0b6a5ab5e3a8f06016f74d627506.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

On September 9, 2019 at 2:55 AM, Hardypalms said:

Off topic, but that Brahea is Brahea sp. Clara. Much faster than Armata! Planted as a seven gallon in 2006.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

6 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Off topic, but that Brahea is Brahea sp. Clara. Much faster than Armata! Planted as a seven gallon in 2006.

Thanks a lot.

Back on topic now

Pat