IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Palms in zone 5

Indiana Sabal Palms

Hi everyone I, I just joined the group and wanted to share with you my Sabals this is the 3rd year for one and the second for the other 3. I also have 4 Christmas palms that are in pots which I keep indoors during the winter months. I do protect the Sabals in the winter by putting up a temporary green house and wrapping the trees with some c-9 lights. So far so good. The oldest Sabal is producing fruit, my hope is to plant them and see if they will germinate.

IMG_20190825_105101434_HDR.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

@Indiana Sabal Palms Welcome to the Forums!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks,

The reaction is pretty funny but they are amazed. I have had many customers just want to take pictures!! Everyone just says "In Indiana" how do you get them to survive!! By customers I mean I run a small Marine business on my property where I live so they always ask about them!!

• Like 1

I do have a question though, when do I pick the fruit (seads), I am going to try and pot some to see if I can have some success growing a few!!

9 minutes ago, Indiana Sabal Palms said:

I do have a question though, when do I pick the fruit (seads), I am going to try and pot some to see if I can have some success growing a few!!

The fruit needs to ripen to dark purple/black color.  When they drop off the tree naturally they are ready.

Jon Sunder

Welcome to PalmTalk.

You should also look into planting coldhardier varieties of Sabal minor: McCurtain County, Cherokee, Alabama etc. They stay shorter and are easier to protect than trunked Sabals.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'm impressed. Keep up the great work. When winter comes around please show us how you construct the temporary green house. I am planning on doing the same thing, but am not quite sure how to go about it. 

Not sure if I have any pictures of last winter but I do have one from the winter before last. These are from last winter!!

IMG_20190126_013647259.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome and very nice! That takes a lot of dedication to grow those there, great job!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Nice job

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Have these structures proven to be wind proof?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Yes, with 4 tiedowns, the main frame is actually standard 5'x7' scaffolding. The canapy is made from 1" schedule 40 pvc pipe.  6Mill plastic. With out tiedowns at 24' tall they would not stand with the winter winds that we have, I am in the country and surrounded by farm fields.  When I just had 1 Sabal with a 15' tall surround I did not have it tied down but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Ohh I see the tiedowns now.   Good work there.  Is it possible to mummy wrap a Palmetto?  I don't think I could do that large of a structure but have good luck with frost cloth that is breathable and almost waterproof wrapped over Xmas lights on trachycarpus.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, Indiana Sabal Palms said:

ThanksIMG_20190126_013702003.thumb.jpg.002fa62fa02dd698d91b2407725030f1.jpg

are they still here?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

Well done! Love to see this and excited to see more pics. 

Also I’d recommend putting rocks around base of the palms instead of mulch - rocks absorb heat during day and release it at night and that could potentially help them grow a bit quicker as Sabals love heat 

11 hours ago, DTS1 said:

are they still here?

Sadly, not sure if we'll ever know. The person who posted this was last active in October 2019.

5-21-2023

Emerald Isle, NC

USDA Zone 8B - Humid Subtropical (CFA)