IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where to buy palms in Atlanta area?

Hardypalms

Hi

I am just getting back into the hobby. I don't want to go crazy this time as in past years buying like a nut. I visited big box stores yesterday and was surprised at the fact that they mostly have nothing beside Majesties and parlour palms. In past years tropical or hardy palms were legions along with some bananas. Even pike nursery had hardly anything and what they had is so expensive.

I know of Randy's nursery in Lawrenceville but it's so far from me, I will have to visit it only when I am closer for other matters. I am in Cherokee county if this matters.

Thxs for your help

Pat

1 hour ago, Hardypalms said:

Hi

I am just getting back into the hobby. I don't want to go crazy this time as in past years buying like a nut. I visited big box stores yesterday and was surprised at the fact that they mostly have nothing beside Majesties and parlour palms. In past years tropical or hardy palms were legions along with some bananas. Even pike nursery had hardly anything and what they had is so expensive.

I know of Randy's nursery in Lawrenceville but it's so far from me, I will have to visit it only when I am closer for other matters. I am in Cherokee county if this matters.

Thxs for your help

Pat

Pat, certainly welcome back to the dark side :)

I can't vouch for your local mom and pop nurseries up there, but down here they still have their regular assortment of palms. Now the big box stores are done around here. Nothing left except for their version of an "indoor palm" allah majesty palms.... 

Honestly, if you serious about obtaining certain common palm species or more unusual ones, I would just order online (especially in the next couple months before it gets chilly).  It is wonderful to support mom and pop establishments, but if they don't carry what you want, then...

If there are truly no places in the greater Atlanta area (massive metro area) that carry a decent selection of palms, then that would certainly be a great niche to fill.

Edited by palmsOrl

Thank-you RJ and palmsOrl

3 years ago when I was last into the hobby the big box store, and the -mart stores had legions. Around this time it was 75% off sales. I would fill the car, LOL!

Ordering online was my next step and probably going to do so.

Thxs

Pat

• Like 1

@Hardypalms Do you have a "wish list"?

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

@Hardypalms Do you have a "wish list"?

Not really. I am going to plant a Chamaerops humilis that's for sure in the spring. Seeds and seedlings are available everywhere but I just wanted to see how much a grown one would cost (Like a 5ga maybe?).

Same with Serenoa repens and Trachycarpus wagnerianus that I will probably start from seeds indoors in January. Grown S. repens online are just too expensive and growing from seeds is fun.

Why are you asking?

Thxs

Pat

@Hardypalms

Well, supposing I had a few of the items on your wish list, I'd be willing to part with them for very little cost.  I do have a few Serenoa repens 'Super Silver'.  I'll count up how many I have, and if I have an overstock, you can have them for nothing. 

I have a ton of Washingtonia filifera if you want a few of those.  Not likely hardy outside in your portion of the southeast.  They only do that single digit hardiness thing out west.  I did just sprout a few Jubaea as well.  I could part with one or two of those I guess, but they are pretty small.  If you're interested in any of those, let me know via PM.  It might be a week or so until I can get them sent out due to storm prep at home and work, but they'll get there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

This late in the season up there no one will have palms in stock really, they are stocked early summer around there like June typically. I just moved back from Canton area and the only place I can think of is Pike's but they are super expensive for everything as you mentioned. If you're wanting to get a decent amount of them it's probably worth the drive to head a few hours south into Florida and pickup some where they stay stocked year round. As far as online goes North Texas Cold Hard palms ships a lot of smaller ones and I've had good luck with them via eBay, they are also members here.

1 hour ago, Trent said:

This late in the season up there no one will have palms in stock really, they are stocked early summer around there like June typically. I just moved back from Canton area and the only place I can think of is Pike's but they are super expensive for everything as you mentioned. If you're wanting to get a decent amount of them it's probably worth the drive to head a few hours south into Florida and pickup some where they stay stocked year round. As far as online goes North Texas Cold Hard palms ships a lot of smaller ones and I've had good luck with them via eBay, they are also members here.

Trent

I looked at the big box stores in the spring 3 or 4 times and they kept telling me they would arrive anyday. I got tired and got busy at work. I started a few things from seeds. Then now I decided to go check again and there is nothing left. (At least that keeps my wife happy. LOL)

I bought a Chamaedora cataractarum for $20 at HD, it's very healthy and pretty big. I know it's an indoor palm but it's a palm. Yes I know some guys that actually rented a uhaul and split the costs 3 or 4 ways and loaded up in Florida. Not a bad idea. I am only 4 1/2 hours from the border. Nice link also for those hardy palms in Texas. I emailed them to get their Ebay I.D.

Thxs

Pat

Nearly Native Nursery down by the airport usually has some Sabals and others available. I've got a few Palmetto and Minors from them. 

http://nearlynativenursery.com

Aside from them the big box stores (Lowe's,  Home Depot, WalMart) usually carry the blue pot cold hardy palms we have all come to love, but I have not seen them available this particular year.  And of course Randy's as you mentioned usually gets a few shipments each year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GeorgiaPalms said:

Nearly Native Nursery down by the airport usually has some Sabals and others available. I've got a few Palmetto and Minors from them. 

http://nearlynativenursery.com

Aside from them the big box stores (Lowe's,  Home Depot, WalMart) usually carry the blue pot cold hardy palms we have all come to love, but I have not seen them available this particular year.  And of course Randy's as you mentioned usually gets a few shipments each year.

Thxs for that link, that's what I am looking for. Between this place and the Texas place, that should be a good start in the spring/late winter.

I also checked the big box stores many times in the spring and they kept telling me to check again next week. I got tired of it. Maybe they end up in the trash and they stopped carrying them.

Thxs

Pat